Schwab Connection Still Doesn't work

Do we have an ETA? I've followed all suggested steps and it still doesn't work as of 11/22

Comments

• Hello all. I'm trying to add my Schwab Community Property (Brokerage) account to Quicken but it is not working. The Quicken version is 6.4.4 in Mac. To add the account I'm going to + > Brokerage >Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.

The message I'm getting is "Charles Schwab is changing the way Quicken connects to your account". The only options are "Cancel" and "Learn More". I understood that the connection method was changing back in version 6.4.3. Is there anyone else with this issue?
  • MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    I'm wondering if perhaps the bottom of that pop-up message/dialog is not visible on your screen?  It worked fine for me... there is a "Next" button below the "Learn more...." link.   Or at least there was a week ago.  Clicking that results in a pop-up with a mini-version of the Schwab web site login.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• I double checked but no, seems like there is nothing below the "Learn more" button. Unfortunately I can't post a screenshot.
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I double checked but no, seems like there is nothing below the "Learn more" button. Unfortunately I can't post a screenshot.
    I assume you are getting this dialog: 

It appears your connections have not been transitioned to the new method yet.

1) Have you waited the five business days since you updated Quicken to v6.4.4?

Note that because of the extensive problems with this transition, the five business days may be a bit optimistic on Quicken's part.

2) Have you been actively downloading transactions from Charles Schwab?

If not, then Quicken may not recognize that your account needs transitioning.

3) Back on Oct 29th, Quicken Kathryn posted that during the transitioning:

if you are trying to add a new Charles Schwab account, or if you try to deactivate and reactivate an existing Charles Schwab account, you will be unable to until the final service cutover is complete

4) You should Bookmark this Alert from the Quicken staff to follow progress of the transition:

UPDATED 11/12/21 Upcoming Changes to Charles Schwab Accounts — Quicken

PS:

To post a screenshot: start a reply and then drag and drop the screenshot into the reply window.

To Bookmark a discussion on this forum, click on the little "ribbon" icon that appears to the right of the discussion title at the top of the page.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • Caught up in the disastrous Schwab conversion. Schwab accounts are corrupted. I have decided to delete all and start over. 2 deleted successfully, but the other two seem to be locked. Assuming it has something to do with the Schwab re-authorization process, which for me is stuck in a loop. Get so far and the only button remaining is "Return to Quicken". When attempting to "delete account", then typing "yes" nothing happens. Using R37.25. Anyone have a clue as to how to get "Delete Account" to work?
  • Hi Ihossus,

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful.

And yes, that's the dialog I'm getting. I have been able to download transactions from Schwab, but only from my checking account. I opened ~2 months ago along with the community property account and that's the account I can't connect to. It's been a few weeks now since I upgraded Quicken, so I might just need to keep waiting until the final service cutover.

Regards,

Erick
  • dmt9054
    dmt9054 Member ✭✭
    Yes, caught up in the same mess, can't resolve, have tried restoring a backup followed all Quicken recommendations and NADA. When you were able to delete the accounts and start over did it work?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @BaywayRic

Have you considered restoring a backup file from just before you attempted the "re-authorization process"?  It seems like that would fix the "stuck in a loop" issue.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jimaikins
    jimaikins Member ✭✭✭
    Restoring "clean" back-up files does not fix. Unable to de-activate Direct Connect for one Schwab account. Unable to even find on Schwab account .....Disaster
  • Have not tried restoring a back-up. dmt9054 indicates that will not work. I have deleted two accounts and still have two which are "stuck." So, have not started over yet. At the Schwab end (security center) one of my accounts has disappeared. Which is also one of the accounts that is "stuck."
  • GAE
    GAE Member
    I'm having same problems (required to re-authorize for every download, transactions not being updated, etc.) so frustrating
  • aspen12
    aspen12 Member
    With the recent change in downloading account information from Schwab into Quicken, Quicken App no longer asks for a password. Is this process less secure than before?

I'm particularly concerned because I understand the "Schwab Security Guarantee" doesn't apply once I designate Quicken's access to my Schwab accounts as Authorized.
  • I need help..I have followed all the troubleshooting. I have quicken for Mac subsription. Data isn't downloading from my Schwab account.
  • I'm having the same problem. Have twice disconnected and reconnected after logging off of Quicken and then logging back on. Have gone into Keychain and deleted my login info. Have tried everything I could find on the community with no answer. Can anyone provide a solution????
  • Kim Thurman
    Kim Thurman Member ✭✭
    Same here! I'm continually getting "Download Error (-28) QCS_SERVER_ERROR" no matter how many times I've disabled my account connection and re-enabled it. I'm on the most current version of Quicken for Mac (6.4.4) and I've already tried signing out of my Quicken account and back in.
  • John Prewitt
    John Prewitt Member ✭✭✭
    I got hold of someone at Charles Schwab who has answers for this issue. It appears that some account types such as business accounts lack the Eligibility to Share Account Data with a Third-Party. Within the next month Schwab will be rolling out enhancements that will allow clients to re-link these accounts.
  • Guy Harris
    Guy Harris Member ✭✭
    I am currently running Quicken for Mac 6.4.5 (Build 604.41859.100) on Big Sur.

I have succeeded in updating my Charles Schwab bank account to download transactions.

However, if I try to update my Charles Schwab investment accounts to download transactions, I get the "Charles Schwab is changing the way Quicken connects to your accounts." dialog.

I spoke with Quicken support; they suggested that I disconnect all my Charles Schwab account, which I did, and then try again. I was again able to re-enable transaction downloads on the bank account, but I still get the dialog when trying to re-enable transaction downloads on the investment accounts.

It has been more than five days since I updated to 6.4.5.

When will Schwab have completed their side of the transition?

When will Quicken have completed their side of the transition?
  • Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello, @Guy Harris.

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your issue, though I am sorry to hear you have been dealing with this. I looked at your account and it appears that your dataset is still on FDS and needs to be migrated to our new aggregator FDP. A good way of knowing this from your end is to look at the options presented to you when you try to update your Schwab accounts. If you see Cancel and Learn More as your only two options, that means that your dataset still needs to be migrated. This would be why you would not be given the opportunity to proceed with the Schwab change. The new Schwab connection method is complete but requires you to be on FDP. In order to force migrate your dataset, we will need to Reset Account Connections.

Before you perform this reset, I strongly advise that you Save a Backup. (You can do this by navigating to File and then Save a Backup.)

Note: It should also be known that this reset will not affect Direct Connections and will disconnect any accounts that you have connected with the Quicken Connect connection method, requiring you to sign back into these accounts again afterward in order to continue downloading transactions. 

The steps to perform this reset are as follows:

1. Holding the Option (Alt) key on your keyboard, please press the Help button up in the menu bar.
    2. The help menu should pop up with an additional option at the bottom labeled Troubleshooting.
    3. Hover over Troubleshooting and you will see three options. Please select the option that says Reset Account Connections.
    4. This will prompt a pop-up asking if you would like to Reset your Account Connections. Please confirm this reset by pressing Reset Account Connections again
    5. Allow the program to perform the reset. This process may take a few minutes so please be patient.
    6. After the pop-up disappears on its own indicating that it has finished with its process, we are done and you may proceed with reconnecting your accounts.

This will move your dataset over to our FDP aggregator and instead of Cancel and Learn More, you will see Sign In. From here, you will be directed to a Schwab sign-in page. Input your credentials and follow the prompts and you'll be able to connect your accounts. I hope this helps!

If you have any further questions or are in need of additional support, please reach out and we will be happy to help you. Thank you!

-Quicken September
  • Guy Harris
    Guy Harris Member ✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Hi, @Quicken September. (BTW, your name doesn't show up in the drop-down list if I type "@qu"; hopefully this notifies you that I responded.)

Thanks for the information, but, having just updated to Quicken Deluxe Version 6.5.1 (Build 605.42638.100), the options I'm getting if I go to "Troubleshooting" in Opt+Help are "Use Local Help", "Disable Quicken Cloud Throttling", and "Reset Cloud" - no "Reset Account Connections".

How do I force 6.5.1 to migrate to the new aggregator? (And why does it not automatically migrate?)
  • Guy Harris
    Guy Harris Member ✭✭
    Hi, @Quicken September.

Note that, when trying to debug this problem, a Quicken support person had me disconnect all my Schwab accounts and try to re-connect them. This worked for my Schwab Bank account but didn't work for my Schwab brokerage accounts.

Therefore, my only connected account is my Schwab Bank account.

Does this mean that I have "zombie" Schwab brokerage account connections, which "don't exist" in the sense that there aren't any account connections to reset, but "exist" in the sense that they block re-connecting those accounts?

If so, is there some way to make the "zombie" connections go away, even if it involves running a text editor on a plist file (if necessary, after using plutil to convert it from binary) or using sqlite3 on the main Quicken database?
  • Guy Harris
    Guy Harris Member ✭✭
    Hi, @Quicken September.

Today, when I tried downloading transactions from my Schwab Bank account, Quicken said something about upgrading online connections.

Seeing that, I decided to try reconnecting my Schwab accounts, and, instead of giving the "Charles Schwab is changing the way Quicken connects to your accounts." dialog, it gave me a dialog to let me set up accounts; I successfully set up the accounts (after doing some research to determine which one of the three count 'em three of our accounts ending with the same last three digits was mine, but that's Schwab's fault, not yours).

I do *not* remember doing a Quicken update since my last failed attempt; the modification time on the main Quicken executable file is on December 28 and the "node change" time (I'm a UNIX nerd, trust me, it's significant, because it doesn't reflect the time that Quicken issued the update, it reflects the time a change was made to the file's properties, e.g. when the update was done) is on December 29, so it doesn't look as if I did an update after December 28/29, and I've tried connecting at least once in January.

So I don't know *what* happened, but at least things are working. If you (Quicken) or Schwab changed something on your side since my last attempt, that would explain it, but if that's the case, then, if I'd known that you were still making changes on your servers, and knew when those changes would be complete, I'd have known that all I had to do was wait.
  • s_steve
    s_steve Member
    It is 13 Jan. I am running Quicken 6.5.1 and MacOS 12.0.1. Connecting to Schwab for downloading data is still broken!!! this situation is inexcusable on every level. This 'security' update should never have been released to the public. It is an unforgivable error of the software developers and the QC department. The current raft of problems should have been resolved long long before it was released to the users. The responsible developers, their manager, the QC people, and their manager should all be fired. They are all responsible for an unmitagated mess foisted on the Quicken users. I suggest that Quicken replace all those responsible for this disaster with half a dozen twelve year old girls who could certainly perform a better job than those currently employed and getting salaries well north of $100,000 per year. Shame on Quicken, and Schwab as well, for this calamity. Quicken's reputation is forever tainted.
This discussion has been closed.