R37.25 vs R36.41

I have Windows version 37.25.  The latest Mondo version is 36.41.  Should I install it?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    If you want to rollback to an earlier release, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install while disconnected from the internet, and apply the update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

To prevent Quicken from applying an update without your approval, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately (choose default or always notify).
  • bhinkston
    bhinkston Member ✭✭
    Is there a reason to back-level to Mondo 36.41 considering all the ongoing connection issues (particularly with Charles Schwab)? I have talked to the Quicken Support agents, and there's little positive/optimistic direction on what to do next.
  • William
    William Member ✭✭✭
    I have no reason to roll-back other than concern about why R37.25 disappeared.  Was it withdrawn for an important reason?   Seems to add to the chaos of the Schwab fiasco.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    William said:
    I have no reason to roll-back other than concern about why R37.25 disappeared.  Was it withdrawn for an important reason?   Seems to add to the chaos of the Schwab fiasco.
    R36.41 appears to be a hot fix to R36.38 (the latest release): Subscription Release of Quicken
    R37.25 is a staged release: Windows R37.XX Release (US)
  • bhinkston
    bhinkston Member ✭✭
    > @William said:
    > I have no reason to roll-back other than concern about why R37.25 disappeared.  Was it withdrawn for an important reason?   Seems to add to the chaos of the Schwab fiasco.
    @Sherlock Perhaps you can help here since you are a SuperUseR?
    @William I assume that you are in the same situation as I... that Charles Schwab still isn't working?
    For the third time, I spent 2+/- hours on the phone with a Quicken support agent. I feel sorry for them because they want to help, but they have no more information than I do. I've done all the steps that they have told me to do and Charles Schwab still isn't working. They did say that the Charles Schwab issues are ongoing ... and I'm not the only one.
    I asked them to escalate a favor: start a "status screen" in the Community which outlines where they are at in fixing the issue. The only thing they have today is www.quicken.com/Schwab instructions ... and they don't fix my problem, and I've done them at least 25 times. And, they just make more more angry/frustrated because I can't get an official (only verbal) that Charles Schwab issues continue.
    We are where we are, but I don't want to waste one more minute of time until there's an update/fix or some other positive news that indicates that there have been some code updates/fixes, server updates, etc. But, continuing to move forward like isn't recognition that (a large number) of Charles Schwab clients with continuing issues is really frustrating.
    Thanks.
  • bhinkston
    bhinkston Member ✭✭
    @william Is it safe to say you are still having problems with downloading Charles Schwab?
    The support agents are really having a tough time right now. They want to help, but they have no more new information than I already have. They did say that the Charles Schwab issues continue, there is not a clear resolution as of yet.
    It would be great to have a status screen of some sort for the Schwab issues more than just try these steps. I have tried them 25 times (that is not an exaggeration) and they still don't work to fix the problem.
    @sherlock Perhaps as a SuperUser you could help with this request?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    bhinkston said:
    @william Is it safe to say you are still having problems with downloading Charles Schwab?
    The support agents are really having a tough time right now. They want to help, but they have no more new information than I already have. They did say that the Charles Schwab issues continue, there is not a clear resolution as of yet.
    It would be great to have a status screen of some sort for the Schwab issues more than just try these steps. I have tried them 25 times (that is not an exaggeration) and they still don't work to fix the problem.
    @sherlock Perhaps as a SuperUser you could help with this request?
    A week ago, I suggested deactivating the Online Services of all the account register's associated Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. and maintaining the account registers manually.  In my opinion, the transition from the Direct Connect connection method to the unreliable Express Web Connect connection method is likely to be unstable for some time.
  • bhinkston
    bhinkston Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > A week ago, I suggested deactivating the Online Services of all the account register's associated Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. and maintaining the account registers manually.  In my opinion, the transition from the Direct Connect connection method to the unreliable Express Web Connect connection method is likely to be unstable for some time.

@Sherlock Thanks... although I would prefer to not have to enter all transactions manually, its not a bad answer to me. If just giving things a rest for a month until things stabilize, then mentally I can prepare myself for that AS LONG AS I know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I remember Capital One has some similar issues earlier this year. The good news for me was that I had very few transactions with Capital One, and it seems to work just fine. Perhaps there is hope?

Thanks again...

-Brent
  • William
    William Member ✭✭✭
    I have reinstall my data file backup to before the troubles, then deactivated all things related to Schwab.  I will do manual entries and paper reconcile until there is reason to believe that everything is fix and stable.
  • Rob41
    Rob41 Member ✭✭✭
    @William @Sherlock
    I came here with the same question as the OP - I installed the Mondo patch to R37.25 when it was available on the Mondo download page last week, and was concerned that now it has been pulled and only R36.41 is being offered. I noticed this edit to the bottom of the R37 announcement page that Sherlock linked to:

"The release of R37.25 has been paused and is no longer available for download directly within Quicken."

However, they still provide a download link to the file in the next paragraph.

Since my Schwab stuff is working ok now (my post about it is here: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7902157/schwab-connection-method-switch-finally-out-of-the-woods-maybe/) I don't mind staying put on R37.25, I just hoped for some reassurance that I won't be stranded on it. Hopefully once Quicken resumes the rollout of R37, it will get me back on the bandwagon of prompting me about new product updates/releases.

@Quicken Chris can you confirm anything about this?
  • bhinkston
    bhinkston Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > R36.41 appears to be a hot fix to R36.38 (the latest release): Subscription Release of Quicken
    > R37.25 is a staged release: Windows R37.XX Release (US)

There is another "hotfix" out there... R36.45.

I really wish I could get a good feelling that this fixes any/all the Charles Schwab problems before I go through another two hours of reinstalling everything.

Any suggestions?

-B
  • bhinkston
    bhinkston Member ✭✭
    > @Rob41 said:
    > @William @Sherlock
    > I came here with the same question as the OP - I installed the Mondo patch to R37.25 when it was available on the Mondo download page last week, and was concerned that now it has been pulled and only R36.41 is being offered. I noticed this edit to the bottom of the R37 announcement page that Sherlock linked to:
    >
    > "The release of R37.25 has been paused and is no longer available for download directly within Quicken."
    >
    > However, they still provide a download link to the file in the next paragraph.
    >
    > Since my Schwab stuff is working ok now (my post about it is here: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7902157/schwab-connection-method-switch-finally-out-of-the-woods-maybe/) I don't mind staying put on R37.25, I just hoped for some reassurance that I won't be stranded on it. Hopefully once Quicken resumes the rollout of R37, it will get me back on the bandwagon of prompting me about new product updates/releases.
    >
    > @Quicken Chris can you confirm anything about this?
    @Rob41 I just read through you post, and I did *almost* the same things ... and with *almost* the same result ... INCLUDING the $0 balance on my Schwab Cash/Checking account ... which, as you say, makes reconciliation impossible at this point. I am thinking the only way I can do this is to now revert to a paper statement? Or a known balance at some point in time?
    Saying that, I had this completed from yesterday, and some transactions are coming in withing minutes of posting, and others are not. Time will tell if tomorrow they are caught up/downloading. For example, I had a trade that happened a few hours ago that hasn't come through yet. But, I have had other transactions from earlier in the day that did come over.

Weirdly enough, the Schwab Update is taking 5-10 minutes to complete... so something is messed up there. I am hoping that this is a function of the Quicken servers managing this and will be resolved overtime. And, I'm getting a CC-501 error ... but, (some) transactions are downloading?!?!?!?

I'm reluctant to do any more updates, etc ...

-B
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Rob41 said:
    @William @Sherlock
    I came here with the same question as the OP - I installed the Mondo patch to R37.25 when it was available on the Mondo download page last week, and was concerned that now it has been pulled and only R36.41 is being offered. I noticed this edit to the bottom of the R37 announcement page that Sherlock linked to:

"The release of R37.25 has been paused and is no longer available for download directly within Quicken."

However, they still provide a download link to the file in the next paragraph.

Since my Schwab stuff is working ok now (my post about it is here: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7902157/schwab-connection-method-switch-finally-out-of-the-woods-maybe/) I don't mind staying put on R37.25, I just hoped for some reassurance that I won't be stranded on it. Hopefully once Quicken resumes the rollout of R37, it will get me back on the bandwagon of prompting me about new product updates/releases.

@Quicken Chris can you confirm anything about this?
    Quicken will be resuming R37 when they have some confidence in the quality of the release.  It's their normal procedure to stage a new release to a limited number of users at a time to mitigate the risk to the entire community of users.  If they find there are significant issues with R37.25, they'll push a new R37.  With the Schwab transition issues occurring concurrently, it may take a bit longer to assess the quality of the R37 release.
  • dchquick
    dchquick Member ✭✭
    A basic rule to follow "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!" If you are on 37.25 (like me) and all accounts are updating correctly (as mine are), you should probably not go backward in release levels.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Sherlock said:

Quicken will be resuming R37 when they have some confidence in the quality of the release.  It's their normal procedure to stage a new release to a limited number of users at a time to mitigate the risk to the entire community of users.  If they find there are significant issues with R37.25, they'll push a new R37.  With the Schwab transition issues occurring concurrently, it may take a bit longer to assess the quality of the R37 release.
    hum, during this whole Schwab issue Quicken said to install the Mondo update which was R37. It installs R37.25 Build 27.1.37.25.  Did not fix the problem.  So will reverting back to R36 fix the issue???  This mess continues even tho Quicken says it is fixed...  No downloads from Schwab here using the mondo R37 as diirected....

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• gcorvin
    gcorvin Member ✭✭
    R37.25 Build 27.1.37.25 seems to be working, at least somewhat. Jury is still out on whether transactions are downloading correctly. Also, had to deal with multiple duplicate transactions in order to get accurate account balances and holdings. And in the process, it somehow caused several non-Schwab accounts to stop working correctly, but after resetting those, they seem to be working again. This has NOT been fun.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    R37 seemed to be working for me and my Swcwab account did not have any duplicates but doesn't update.  Same issue I started with in this whole Schwab mess...  But in Quicken it says that it is updating?????????

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    For many users, R36.38, R36.41, R36.45, or R37.25 will be sufficient.  Most of the issues have had nothing to do with the Quicken and everything to do with Intuit and Schwab.  

The duplicate download issue occurs when the FITID algorithm changes - blame Schwab.  The good news is that it should be a one-time occurrence and is easier to manage than in the past.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    For many users, R36.38, R36.41, R36.45, or R37.25 will be sufficient.  Most of the issues have had nothing to do with the Quicken and everything to do with Intuit and Schwab.  

The duplicate download issue occurs when the FITID algorithm changes - blame Schwab.  The good news is that it should be a one-time occurrence and is easier to manage than in the past.
    I still am getting no updates.  Quicken says this is fixed.  Will call Tier 2.  Quicken, Schwab, and Intuit ALL share the responsibility.  As a 9 year alpha and beta tester never was anything released untill it was properly tested and extensively used by a test group.  

• bhinkston
    bhinkston Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > For many users, R36.38, R36.41, R36.45, or R37.25 will be sufficient.  Most of the issues have had nothing to do with the Quicken and everything to do with Intuit and Schwab.  
    >
    > The duplicate download issue occurs when the FITID algorithm changes - blame Schwab.  The good news is that it should be a one-time occurrence and is easier to manage than in the past.

@Sherlock Thanks for your continued posts.
    Per @retird Quicken keeps implying this is fixed... but, the problems are not. I'm not trying to sound like I'm complaining, but I don't want to spend any more time trying to fix the problems on supposed fixes that keep getting released. I'm totally fine with waiting for a while ... per your earlier post ... until WCE+ settles down. But, I'd like some idea from Quicken is if this is a few days, weeks or months when SPECIFIC problems are address.
    There's enough of us out here having problems that I have to believe the Quicken tech team are looking at those SPECIFIC issues and finding resolutions. The support teams have no specific alternatives to fixing my problems then I've already done more than a few times. So, now, its up to new code releases or other more drastic measures to fix.
    Thanks for your continued comments.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    bhinkston said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > For many users, R36.38, R36.41, R36.45, or R37.25 will be sufficient.  Most of the issues have had nothing to do with the Quicken and everything to do with Intuit and Schwab.  
    >
    > The duplicate download issue occurs when the FITID algorithm changes - blame Schwab.  The good news is that it should be a one-time occurrence and is easier to manage than in the past.

@Sherlock Thanks for your continued posts.
    Per @retird Quicken keeps implying this is fixed... but, the problems are not. I'm not trying to sound like I'm complaining, but I don't want to spend any more time trying to fix the problems on supposed fixes that keep getting released. I'm totally fine with waiting for a while ... per your earlier post ... until WCE+ settles down. But, I'd like some idea from Quicken is if this is a few days, weeks or months when SPECIFIC problems are address.
    There's enough of us out here having problems that I have to believe the Quicken tech team are looking at those SPECIFIC issues and finding resolutions. The support teams have no specific alternatives to fixing my problems then I've already done more than a few times. So, now, its up to new code releases or other more drastic measures to fix.
    Thanks for your continued comments.
    I don't think Quicken is implying this is fixed.  Quicken has no knowledge of when Intuit and Schwab will resolve their issues or even if they will all be sufficiently addressed.  Obviously, Quicken Support is now our point of contact and is attempting to manage Schwab's decision to drop the Direct Connect connection method the best they can.  Given the inherent unreliability of the Express Web Connect connection method, it may continue to be a bumpy ride.  If you're not willing to accept the unreliability of the Express Web Connect connection method, I suggest you either maintain the Schwab accounts manually or switch to a financial institution that supports the Direct Connect or Web Connect connection methods.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    Given the inherent unreliability of the Express Web Connect connection method, it may continue to be a bumpy ride.  If you're not willing to accept the unreliability of the Express Web Connect connection method, I suggest you either maintain the Schwab accounts manually or switch to a financial institution that supports the Direct Connect or Web Connect connection methods.
    We had Direct Connect with Schwab and no issues in my case.  Quicken offers EWB and you inferred (your words) " the unreliability of the Express Web Connect connection method,". Why do they keep offering EWC if it is so unreliable?  I agree it is unreliable now but wasn't when Intuit owned Quicken.  

If Quicken can't fix this then I'll just drop Schwab out of my Quicken and drop Schwab after telling them why I'm dropping them. Will monitor this for 1 more week... it has already been too long...

NOTE: Schwab told me that Quicken is at fault and had known about this changeover for over a year and dropped the ball.  Who do we believe?  Could it be the new owners of Quicken just inherited this issue and are trying to recover from the premature roll-out they instituted?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Q continues to offer EWC because,  for some Financial Institutions, that's the ONLY download method that they accept.
    And, one of the primary reasons for the unreliability of EWC is that, frequently, it uses "screen scraping", and when the FI changes the screen without sufficient (or any) notice to Q/Intuit ... the EWC download fails.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    NotACPA said:
    Q continues to offer EWC because,  for some Financial Institutions, that's the ONLY download method that they accept.
    And, one of the primary reasons for the unreliability of EWC is that, frequently, it uses "screen scraping", and when the FI changes the screen without sufficient (or any) notice to Q/Intuit ... the EWC download fails.
    Yes, I know why institutions use EWC.  They don't want to pay the cost associated with Direct Connect. And Quicken depends on Intuit's 3rd part server.  Why does Quicken not have it own server and take Intuit out of the loop and stabilize EWC?  Think it all boils down to the bottom line... money...

Schwab said Quicken had 1 year notice... is that not enough notice?

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    retird said:
    NotACPA said:
    Yes, I know why institutions use EWC.  They don't want to pay the cost associated with Direct Connect. And Quicken depends on Intuit's 3rd part server.  Why does Quicken not have it own server and take Intuit out of the loop and stabilize EWC?  Think it all boils down to the bottom line... money...

What makes you think Quicken would do a better job maintaining EWC than Intuit? 

The only advantage Quicken would have is direct control of the resources required to maintain EWC.  The financial cost to Quicken would be substantially higher and EWC would still be less secure and less reliable than Direct Connect and Web Connect.  I wonder if Quicken should charge users directly for their use of EWC the way some financial institutions charge for use of their Direct Connect servers.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    retird said:
    NotACPA said:

The only advantage Quicken would have is direct control of the resources required to maintain EWC.  The financial cost to Quicken would be substantially higher and EWC would still be less secure and less reliable than Direct Connect and Web Connect.  I wonder if Quicken should charge users directly for their use of EWC the way some financial institutions charge for use of their Direct Connect servers.

I was told by my bank that they would have to pay fees to Quicken to go to Direct Connect and thus the charge to the customer... is that not correct?

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    retird said:
    Sherlock said:
    retird said:
    NotACPA said:

I was told by my bank that they would have to pay fees to Quicken to go to Direct Connect and thus the charge to the customer... is that not correct?
    My understanding is the fees for the Direct Connect service are still paid to Intuit but all the financial institutions I use chose not to pass the cost on to their customers.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    retird said:
    Sherlock said:
    retird said:
    NotACPA said:

My understanding is the fees for the Direct Connect service are still paid to Intuit but all the financial institutions I use chose not to pass the cost on to their customers.
    Yep, I checked numerous banks here that offer DC months ago and all charge fees. Schwab DC was free to the customer. My observation over the past 20 years is that Quicken increased their bottom line by going to a subscription model and their software/processes, and etc. are much reduced and problematic than before Intuit divested itself from Quicken.  THX for the conversation and I await a resolution within the next week or I'll just move on to plan 2 and reduce my exposure to all the issues, whether the fault lies with Quicken, Intuit, or Schwab individually or collectively. THX again for the conversation and have a great Thanksgiving Sherlock....

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    retird said:
    Think it all boils down to the bottom line... money...

Yes, it does, and you will notice that the moment one mentions that the financial institution might want charge the customer for the service 95% say that there is no way they will pay for it.  BTW it isn't just the expense paid to Intuit, maintaining a separate OFX server (even if it is on existing hardware) isn't free to the financial institution either.  When you consider that Quicken users are probably var less than 1% of a financial institution's customers, you can pretty much figure they aren't going to want to have expenses that most of the customers can't use.  In fact, I think the only reason aggregators are tolerated at all is because that in fact helps their business because they can use the same services to consolidate views of the customer's other financial institution accounts on their website.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.