Add Account

All of a sudden I can not add a new account, selecting any account on Quicken's list I receive the message "We couldn't get information about XXXXXX. This account will be setup as a manual account." Frustrating...On version 37.25 Deluxe

Comments

• Hello @RichardCSchreyer,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community with your questions and concerns, though I apologize for the delayed response. 

After reading your comment, a few concerns come to mind. I would like to start by asking you where your data file is located on your computer. You can find this most easily by going to File>Show this file on my computer. Also, check to see if the file is being actively backed up by any third-party apps/cloud services. Like Norton, One Drive, Carbonite, DropBox, etc. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you on this. 

Quicken Alyssa

• RichardCSchreyer
    RichardCSchreyer Member ✭✭✭✭
    It's on the c drive non-shared windows. I do have it backed up via Norton 360.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check if Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access

Have you recently enabled a VPN?
    If so, this might be the problem. Try turning the VPN off and see if that helps.

Is there a corporate or otherwise external firewall getting in the way? Contact the IT people maintaining the firewall and ask for permission.
    Does your Antivirus software allow Quicken to connect to the Internet?
    Quicken needs to be able to establish outbound Internet connections for the program to work.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    To is seems that the answers for this problem are off track.  Quicken isn't stopping the creation of an account, it is stopping the creation of an online account.  In other words, it can't connect to the financial institution for some reason.

So, the problem isn't going to be where the data file is stored.

@RichardCSchreyer by any chance are you using a VPN?
    If so, try turning it off.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Also, something as simple as exiting Quicken, restarting your PC and then re-opening Quicken may resolve your issue.  
  • Hello again all,

Thank you for taking the time to add to this discussion and provide assistance and feedback. 

Now, the data file location absolutely affects the functionality of the data file overall. If it was not a critical factor I would not have mentioned it. That being said, from the information that you have provided, it sounds like the location of your file is not a problem in this situation.

However, Norton actively performing backups of your file is an issue and will compromise the health of the file. Not only that, Norton provides security to your computer that can block Quicken from being able to access the internet. 

To test this out and see if this is what is causing your issue, simply disable the Norton firewall momentarily. Then open Quicken and see if the Add Account window now populates financial institutions. If it does, you know what was causing the issue. If not, look for other security features, like the VPN that the Super Users have mentioned above. Windows Defender, MacAfee, other Norton protections, and others can be culprits in this as well. 

To address the file being backed up by Norton, you can usually exclude your main data file from that backup by going to File>Show This File On My Computer. The File Explorer will open with the file highlighted and you can right-click on it. Norton will be in the menu and you can tell it to exclude the file. For some people, this is not set up the same and in that case, you will need to reach out to Norton or an IT department for further assistance. 

Do let us know if this resolves the issue you are having or if you need further clarification. Thank you.

Quicken Alyssa

This discussion has been closed.