Charles Schwab cc-800 error

larschnur
larschnur Member ✭✭✭
I have followed all the recommendations for the Charles Schwab change over. I now receive cc-800 errors and have tried unsuccessfully to fix it.
A little history with Quicken is in order:
I have used Quicken since the mid 1990s. Before that, I had my own programmed system using Revelation software. It is a real database and not a flat file.

When we started with Schwab in 2005, our Fannie Maes and Freddie Macs did not price correctly during the daily download. I had to stop downloading the stock accounts daily but did download checking account. I have addressed this problem to Quicken multiple times but was essentially told no fix for this type of instrument will be forthcoming. My solution has been to manually adjust the price myself once a month for several years now. I will not be adjusting on a daily basis. Now all accounts are combined and this will cause my Total valuation of 11 accounts to be wrong because of the pricing error. This error uses the full price of a Fannie Mae rather than the adjusted value of the factor.

You can not manually add a buy bond transaction because the commission fee field is not cleared in memory. I demonstrated this problem and documented it with Quicken Support. To this date this problem exists. The fee field corrupts the total amount of the purchase.

Return of capital goes negative on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Every month principal is returned with these instruments.

The end of year new option to reduce the size on stock accounts is a failure. Someone forgot to look at the different transaction types in the file. I tried it and still have trouble in the one bond account because of the deletions of interest, dividends, return of capital and other transaction types. Every thing was deleted but the cash was incorrectly adjusted. Partial sales also failed to adjust properly on deletion.

After what I have read in the discussions and seeing the long wait times for Support, I have decided to discontinue the use of Quicken unless someone from Quicken contacts me rather than my contacting them. I will also be calling Charles Schwab because some of the problems are caused by the pipe file between Schwab and Quicken that contain the daily bond prices.

Comments

• Hello @larschnur,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community with your questions and concerns, though I apologize you are experiencing these issues. 

We now have a Knowledge Base article for issues encountered with Schwab. Please use the link provided to access that article, and let us know if this helps to get your Schwab issues cleared up. 

As for the long-standing and ongoing issues you have been experiencing, we have two options. The first option is to post this in product and feature Idea Posts. This will allow yourself and others to vote on the idea so that it can be implemented in the future. 

If however, you think this is a bug, you would then want to go to Help>Report a Problem, from within your Quicken software and describe the issue in the description box. You will not get a response from this submission, but if Quicken gets enough reports about it they will correct the issue. 

Do let us know if this helps or if you have any more questions or concerns. 

Quicken Alyssa

• larschnur
    larschnur Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    ++Alyssa
    I have tried! There is still a problem and it may be connected to the Schwab Charitable account. I have to test trying Schwab Investor C.
    [Removed-Disruptive]
  • Daniel Adams
    Daniel Adams Member ✭✭
    edited November 2021
    The Knowledge Base Article does not work! [Removed-Disruptive]
  • larschnur
    larschnur Member ✭✭✭
    Schwab Investor C financial institution seems to solve the problem by linking the DAF account there. If only one account fails you get the cc 800 error. When adding the account to Investor C, be very careful to select do not add to Quicken for all the other accounts. The default is Add To Quicken. If you forget you will need to restore!
  • larschnur
    larschnur Member ✭✭✭
    My problems with downloads are resolved for now. I move the Schwab checking account and Schwab Charitable to Schwab Investor C financial institution and left the brokerage accounts with the new Schwab financial. My daily download will be the Schwab Investor C and monthly the newly download.
    We are back to where it all started except for bond prices. Only Mortgage Backed Securities cause pricing problems.
  • artg
    artg Member ✭✭✭✭
    @larschnur

Thank you for that update.  May I ask you to elaborate a little?

When you say "resolved for now" are you getting an Online balance downloaded for your Checking account? I have six Schwab accounts, 4 investment and two banking (checking and savings.)

When I update I get a CC-501 error.  However, ALL six accounts still download.  Unfortunately the checking and savings have a $0 online balance.

All six of my accounts have the financial institution: Charles Schwab and Co., Inc.  

Therefore can you provide a little more clarity as to what your getting and the exact names of your financial institutions?
  • Hello @artg,

Thank you for taking the time to add to this discussion.

I believe @larnschnur is saying that he was able to connect to his charitable account by using the Schwab Investor C instance. However, as he points out, you do not want to use this for other account types necessarily. But he can clarify more on that if he would like. 

Have you by chance checked to see if you have any hidden/old accounts still trying to connect to the old instance of Schwab? 

Quicken Alyssa

• artg
    artg Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Alyssa

Thank you.  I have no hidden/old Schwab accounts.  I've been a Schwab Client for 18 months so all six accounts are relatively "fresh."

Thank you.

• larschnur
    larschnur Member ✭✭✭
    ++Alyssa

Yes I checked old accounts and the Charitable accunt had the same financial institution as all the other accounts. Since it is no longer past of Schwab Financial in the Schwab Financial, world the cc-800 error is returned. Clearing the financial institution in Quicken removes the error. The error will even occur if the account is deactivated. You must clear the field.

I have now connected my checking account to Investor C also.
    Basically, the connection is determined by the Institution type. A corporation can have multiple connnections (i call them institution types). Schwab had apparently separate connections, unified and changed them so Quicken had to change the connections on their end. This causes multiple problems around changing and updating security programming as well as the Financial Institution type on the Quicken end.

I think that the detailed testing procedure for all of the changes involved did not cover all possibilities and issues popped up that no one thought about.

I hope this clarifies what I think has happened. BTW, I am retired but had a career designing cash management systems especially involving multiple mutual funds at a major bank corporation.

Regards,
    Larry
  • larschnur
    larschnur Member ✭✭✭
    Hello @artg
    Your set up is similar to mine. Please follow these steps:
    1. Deactivate all accounts.
    2. Remove the financial institution on the general page for the checking and saving accounts after deactivating. You can not remove it unless the accounts are deactivated. This will be changed later.
    3. Use add account under tools to repair the connection for the four brokerage accounts.
    4. During the connection process a screen is displayed and the box on the right has 3 possible entries. Make very sure you do not choose add account to Quicken. For the brokerage account select link to existing. For the checking and savings, select do not add to Quicken. Failure to follow this exactly will require a restore from backup (I know, I goofed and had to restore). This process took awhile for me so be patient.
    5. Verify the brokerage accounts are repaired and working. Since the checking and savings are not only deactivated at this point but also have no financial institution, this download should work. This is download Charles Schwab & co.
    6. Now set up the checking and savings accounts. The new financial institution is
    Charles Schwab - Investor C. Put this in both accounts and save.
    7. Select edit delete account on either saving or the checking account. Perform the set up under online services. Again during this process, the most important thing is the selection of link to existing for the checking and savings accounts and the selection of do not add to Quicken for all other accounts. Be patient with the rest of the automated process.
    8. Verify the download. This is Charles Schwab Incestor C and you should have two downloads, one for Charles Schwab & co and one for Charles Schwab Investor C.

Now that you have read this far, please make a backup before you begin. From my experience something always goes wrong and you will need to recover.
    I hope this helps.
    Good luck and please post how it goes! Read my other posts if interested for what I think happened.
  • larschnur
    larschnur Member ✭✭✭
    @artg
    You already have a problem with the zero accounts. You need to restore before you begin my solution. I do not think you can just delete the zero accounts and i suspect they are duplicated. Check your account list. I duplicated all my accounts and they would not delete so a restore was done.
  • artg
    artg Member ✭✭✭✭
    @larschnur

First, thank you.  Next before I do anything I'd like to address my question again please.  When I update I get a CC-501 error.  However, ALL six accounts still download.  Unfortunately the checking and savings have a $0 online balance.  Therefore I can't have an automatic reconcile.  If I want to reconcile I need to do it manually (which is not the end of the world.)  

Do you have a $0 Online balance in your checking account?

Next, I do not have a "zero" account.  Both my checking and savings have significant entries. Their respective ending balances have cash.  It's just that their online balances are zero ($0) which is where you come in.

Finally, the idea of deactivating all six accounts scares me.  I did exactly that about a week ago.  When I reactivated I got significant downloads and spent time deleting transactions. 

So, what I'm thinking about is just deactivating the checking and savings account and connect those to the "Schwab Bank Investor C" link like you have.  I'd like to hear your thoughts on that idea.  Notice, I didn't say it was a good idea. 
  • Thank you @larschnur,

I genuinely appreciate your efforts and clarification on your steps for everyone. 

@artg, Can I have you Validate your file and then sign out and back into your Quicken software?

To do this;
    1. Go to File>Validate & Repair.
    2. Check the first box for Validate File and click Ok.
    3. Close the datalog that populates when the validation has finished.
    4. Go back to File and hold down Ctrl+Shift and click on Validate & Repair.
    5. Check the first box for Super Validate File and click Ok.
    6. Close the datalog notepad that populates.
    7. Close and reopen Quicken.
    8. Go to Edit>Preferences>Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts.
    9. Click Sign In as a Different User, type Yes, and click Ok.
    10. Sign back in and try updating your accounts. 

Do you still get the CC-501 error?

Looking forward to hearing back from you on this. Thank you.

Quicken Alyssa

• larschnur
    larschnur Member ✭✭✭
    @artg
    Yes as long as the checking and savings accounts are not duplicated in your Quicken file, then leave the brokerage steps out and start with the checking and savings accounts.
    I left my savings aacount with the brokerage account because it is not very active.
    Please do a backup before you start
  • larschnur
    larschnur Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Alyssa,

Please have someone at Quicken contact Schwab technology in Dallas about Schwab Charitable. They have an open ticket from me and I have no way of contacting them but I am sure Quicken does.
  • artg
    artg Member ✭✭✭✭
    @larschnur

Good morning and thank you.

First the good news.  I deactivated and reactivated both my checking and savings account using "Charles Schwab Investor C" as my financial institution.  When I did an update it worked correctly and I now get an online balance.

Now the less than good news...when I did the same update I get a CC-800 error for the four investment accounts.  However, all four accounts updated correctly.  Therefore, I believe I'm getting a false negative error message.

Your opinion is welcome as well as any advice or counsel.  So far you've been spot on.  
  • larschnur
    larschnur Member ✭✭✭
    @artg
    It is not a false positive. Check your hidden accounts and if there are any, they need to be deactivated.
    If there are you will have to deactivate all the accounts, I think for investments and go through the activation process again just for the investments accounts linkage.

@Alyssa

Unfortunately, at this time, I believe there are major issues with the investments download. I just performed a download and received hundreds of transactions both matched and new. The latest bond account transactions have deposit instead of interest. I have done a restore to yesterday. I know what the problem is though but I do not work for Quicken. The file pipe between Quicken and Schwab needs attention, the transaction types are in error! All bond transactions for buy, sell, interest, return of capital, etc are not handled correctly in Quicken. An example is FNMA PL ACxxxx x67A620x. The xxxx should be a number to match to the security name. Please, please someone at Quicken needs to review the download transaction pull list for transaction types.

@artg
    Thanks for your comment. I have a background in cash management but have been retired for many years. I have worked with transaction download files. Each bank uses a different method for determining transaction types.
  • artg
    artg Member ✭✭✭✭
    @larschnur

Thanks but no Schwab hidden accounts.  I haven't been a client long enough to close any accounts.

I just deactivated and reactivated all four brokerage accounts one at a time.  I connected them to "Charles Schwab and Co., Inc." I just did an update and got the CC-800 error again.  But all four accounts show a download as well with the date/time stamp correlating to when I hit the button.

So, if there's something else I can do I'm standing by.  In the meantime, I think your past career is serving you very well these days.
  • larschnur
    larschnur Member ✭✭✭
    @artg
    Is there anything else in the box that reports the cc 800 error? For me the box reported an account not available for download. Look at your account list also to see if there are any Schwab accounts that are marked unavailable or just not connecting.
  • artg
    artg Member ✭✭✭✭
    @larschnur

Four Schwab brokerage accounts.  All four listed in the CC-800 box.  All four available for download.  All four show a download in the register.  None in the hidden accounts.
  • larschnur
    larschnur Member ✭✭✭
    @artg
    Could you please attach a screen shot of the download results with the cc800 caption. I am missing something here so I want to see it. You can drag and drop it in the reply.
  • larschnur
    larschnur Member ✭✭✭
    @artg
    You said you deactivated them one at a time. I think what you need to do is deactivate all 4 brokerage accounts. Then through tools accounts, select add account. This process will activate the 4 accounts. You will need to select link to existing or select do not add to Quicken when the list of accounts process appears. From the message your 4 brokerage accounts are not visible to Quicken and Schwab.
    I know, add account sounds weird, but this actually works as a change and does not add accounts. Beware though, that after I did this, many useless transactions were downloaded. This could be because I never reconciled the accounts where the code is set to R. Mine are just cleared with a c. I still do not know what to do about it but the 800 error is gone.
    If you are trying to activate each account through Set Up Now, that will give you the error.
    If the above does not work, you will have to deal with Quicken support.
  • artg
    artg Member ✭✭✭✭
    @larschnur

I followed your directions perfectly.  Same CC-800 error message.  All four accounts downloaded with a accurate date/time stamp.  At this point I'll just live with it until a transaction does not download.  I'm afraid Quicken support is very difficult to engage.
  • larschnur
    larschnur Member ✭✭✭
    @artg
    Good Morning
    I now have the cc-800 error and a whole lot of transaction problems.
    The transaction types are wrong on the download for MBS as well as already downloaded old transactions.
    Frankly, I give up.
    @Alyssa
    I give up! I can not use Quicken. I am not spending the rest of my life trying to figure out how to fix this.
    The Bank Institution type for Schwab Investor C seemed to work until this morning. Now Quicken wanted to re-authorize the Schwab brokerage accounts and then masses of old transactions were downloaded as new. The MBS securities do not download principal and interest as such but as deposits. This is an obvious transaction type problem in the download file.
    I speak from experience with downloads since I worked on Wall Street in Cash Management for mutual funds.
    I will call customer service tomorrow to cancel Quicken and get a refund. I am not Quicken's tester. Get your programming technology department to sit down and look at what they have caused!
    The product Quicken Premier is now useless to me.
  • artg
    artg Member ✭✭✭✭
    @larschnur

Good afternoon.  I'm truly sorry for you.  I, myself, am holding my breath until Wednesday morning (1 Dec.)  That's when I'll see my first "ReinvDiv" (on a mutual fund in one of our accounts) since the new system has been put in place.  As a sidebar, yesterday (27 Nov) happen to be the anniversary of my Quicken subscription.  Of course I set it up as an automatic debit on my credit card.  I woke up yesterday morning and needless to say I saw the pending charge on my credit card for my Quicken renewal. 

I guess some aspects of their technology work just fine. :-)  
  • RCRLon
    RCRLon Member ✭✭
    International accounts no longer supported? I have followed these threads trying to resume Schwab downloads. Nothing worked so I contacted Quicken support. They took me through various steps and then said that my Schwab accounts were no longer available to Quicken and that I needed to contact Schwab. I did this and after some confusion I was told that Schwab accounts registered to an international address are no longer supported for Quicken downloads. The person I spoke to was not sure if this was a temporary or a permanent policy change; in fact he was not sure if it was a Schwab or a Quicken policy. But it does explain why my Quicken accounts do not appear in the re-authorization process. If this is a Quicken policy, please reconsider!
  • Gary587
    Gary587 Member ✭✭✭
    I agree that Quicken has had a a long term problem in handing purchases of and Return of Capital on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac bonds in a Schwab account. I have complained about it for years to Quicken.

"You cannot manually add a buy bond transaction because the commission fee field is not cleared in memory. I demonstrated this problem and documented it with Quicken Support. To this date this problem exists. The fee field corrupts the total amount of the purchase."

Same here. The commission goes up to a ridiculous number when you try to manually change the downloaded quantity of a bond purchase. I've found though that if I first manually enter a commission of $0 when I open the transaction to change the quantity, I can then get the math to work. But Quicken should be able to get the correct quantity and price from Schwab on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac transactions we don't have to.

"Return of capital goes negative on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Every month principal is returned with these instruments."

Yup. Quicken continues to drop the ball on this. Just search the Quicken Forum for "Return of Capital" or "mortgage backed securities" to see how many years they've ignored requests to fix it.
  • larschnur
    larschnur Member ✭✭✭
    @BondTech
    you are welcome. 

This discussion has been closed.