cannot retrieve action item definition

Using version R36.45, Quicken Deluxe, Windows 10, for the past couple of weeks, I get the above message when I try to switch to Accounts Receivable from the Taskbar. Same behavior as reported in closed thread: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7894541/cannot-retrieve-action-item-definition
I have done everything suggested, and also removed and recreated the icon on the taskbar, but the problem persists. I can get to Accounts Receivable by clicking on it in the Accounts list, but the icon on the taskbar yields the error message and does not pull up Accounts Receivable.
Please advise.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you also try restoring a recent backup file (from before the issue started in your current primary file)?  The last person in that post thread said that is what they ended up needing to do to resolve the issue.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• 011ver
    011ver Member ✭✭
    Welp, what can I say? I gave up after writing the submission above, closed Quicken, which did an automated backup, and opened Quicken again this morning - without having shut off or restarted the computer. And the problem seems to be gone. The old cure: Turn it off and go away. Seriously, maybe the backup jogged something loose that the Validate process missed.
  • Boatnmaniac
    I'm glad to hear that your issue is resolved.  IMO, I think it is more than likely that rebooting Quicken probably fixed it for you.  It's kind of like banging on the side of the old tube TV to get the picture to come in better.  :smiley:

• 011ver
    011ver Member ✭✭
    Oh dear, is my age that obvious? Going along with my father to the hardware store to test tubes when banging didn't work was always a favorite outing!
    In my defense, I had exited Quicken and rebooted it a couple of times yesterday...but maybe there was a process lurking that got a definitive shutdown during the backup. THAT's a good takeaway, to use Task Manager to make sure all Quicken-related processes have really been shut down. Tx/
  • Boatnmaniac
    And here I was thinking I might be giving away my age!  LOL!

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    011ver said:
    Oh dear, is my age that obvious? Going along with my father to the hardware store to test tubes when banging didn't work was always a favorite outing!
    Boy did that jog an old memory.  :)
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.