If I buy a more expensive subscription?

First, I do not use any online feature in Quicken and he checkbook register program has worked fine ever since the Quicken for DOS days, so I don't need constant upgrades, so the subscription service is basically wasted money for me.

I have been buying the basic Quicken subscription for he pas couple years. After he subscription expires, he account freezes and I can not make new transactions. I remember reading that this is because I have only a basic account, and if I bought a more expensive subscription I would be allowed to continue using the register, but would have a banner cover part of the screen.

Is this correct? I'm tired of wasting money on a service I do not need or use.

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version/year are you currently using?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    From this link:    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-subscription-membership-faqs

Copied this from the above link...:

What happens when my Quicken membership expires?
    The Quicken Data Access Guarantee means that whether you renew your subscription or not, you'll always have full access to and ownership of your data. You can view, edit, export, and manually enter transactions and accounts for Deluxe and higher versions, even after your subscription ends. Access to online services, such as transaction download, quotes, and mobile sync, along with access to Quicken Support, will end if your subscription does. We’ll continue to let you know about product changes and enhancements within the Quicken product. You will also see expiration messages within the program (for examples, see How will I know if I need to renew my subscription membership? below).

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Yes, with Deluxe and higher and an expired subscription, you could still enter manual transaction. You would not have any online functionality and you would not get any software updates. You would have what many find to be a VERY annoying banner(s) taking up a portion of your screen.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a copy of QW2016 or QW2017?  Both of those versions will open and allow you to do what you want.
    Yes, Starter goes into READ-ONLY mode when the subscription expires, Deluxe and higher lose about 25% or more (depending on screen size) when the subscription expires.  See this thread: Expiration-Banner

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Here's a picture a Quicken Windows user posted back at the beginning of the year to illustrate the two renewal banners which Quicken carves out if you have a lapsed subscription. the overall look may change over time, but you get the idea. I believe I've read that the Mac version doesn't have the large yellow banner across the top.

If you have a larger screen and can widen the window, you'll get more active space to work in than shown above, but this shows the amount of space you'll lose on the right side. Clearly, their intent is to discourage people from using Quicken once their subscription expires, but it you can live with some horizontal scrolling, you might find this could work for you.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ohb0b
    ohb0b Member ✭✭
    Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have QW2106 or QW2017.

I also tried several Quicken "alternatives" but they suck. It appears Intuit has people over a barrel since they have no real competition.

But I did find a copy of Quicken 2004 which does everything I need.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    ohb0b said:
    Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have QW2106 or QW2017.

I also tried several Quicken "alternatives" but they suck. It appears Intuit has people over a barrel since they have no real competition.

But I did find a copy of Quicken 2004 which does everything I need.
    Intuit hasn't owned Quicken since March 2016.

There is a free Quicken 2013 for Windows and the update patches are available at: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
  • ohb0b
    ohb0b Member ✭✭
    Figures. New management, new policy.
This discussion has been closed.