Balance on Net Worth Report Doesn't Match Balance on Register

I have a net worth report. I have set it for "all categories" and "all tags" and "earliest to date" and I have included most accounts. On two investment accounts (a Vanguard account and a Wells Fargo Mutual Fund) the balance shown in the Net Worth report does not match the balance in the register (which correctly reflects the actual account balance). I have run validate, including price history, no errors. The WFB Mutual Fund is off by about 20% and there is no significant recent activity in that account. The Vanguard account is only about a year old and there is a significant difference between the balance in the register and the balance in the report. But all the other accounts (several bank accounts, credit cards, mortgage and others) all match perfectly.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @StevenBrower

It sounds like the unrealized gains are not being included in the report.

To fix it:

1)Open up the Net Worth Report and click on the little "Gear Icon" in the upper right of that window;  
    2) In the Pop-up window - click on the "Advanced" tab and then click on the box next to "Include unrealized gains";  
    3) Then click "Okay".

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• StevenBrower
    StevenBrower Member ✭✭
    Your idea sounded right. It had been "on" and I turned it "off" just to see if that would fix the problem. Now, having done the file scan, I tried to turn it back "on," based on your comment, because that made sense. Unfortunately, that hasn't changed the numbers.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @StevenBrower

Interesting...  So the numbers are identical, with the box checked as without the box checked?  Or do they change but are still different from the register balances?

Also - in the Net Worth Report, is the "Date range" set to "Earliest to date"?  If not, change it.

And are the Vanguard account and the Wells Fargo Mutual Fund the only investment type accounts in your file, or are there more?  If so, are they being displayed with correct balances?

Finally, I am wondering whether this is something more basic - so please let me know exactly what you mean by "the balance in the register".

Get back to me and we'll see if we can get this cleared up.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Click on Account Detail on the Display customization tab of the Net Worth report and compare each security to what is shown when you click on Holdings in each of the affected accounts. That may help to track down the discrepancies.

Try setting the As of date in the Holdings view and the end date of the report back in time to see where the discrepancy starts. Sometimes deleting and re-entering a transaction on the problem date will fix problems like this. Be sure to back up your data file before changing historical transactions.

Please let us know what you find.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • StevenBrower
    StevenBrower Member ✭✭
    Frankx - Yes, the numbers are identical with and without that box checked (although I think you may be right that the problem is that the unrealized gains are not being included, with or without the check mark). Yes, it is set to "earliest to date". Yes, those two items are the only ones of their type, and they are the only ones with the discrepancy. When I say that "Register Balance" I am talking about the Account Balance on the left hand side of the screen (which matches the actual account balance online with the respective institutions). And because WFB is a Mutual Fund, which doesn't have many substantial swings in value, I can say that the balance shown on the "Net Worth" report hasn't been correct for at least 5 years.

Jim - I will try your more complex comparison of holdings and dates a little later. The mutual fund only have one security (shares in the mutual fund) and it has a 16 year history in Quicken.
This discussion has been closed.