Why does Home > View > Security Holding Period show no items?

Options
The customizable item Security Holding Period only shows the text, "No securities which are or are about to go long-term were found by Quicken." I have several securities in taxable accounts that I have held for more than one year. Why is this list empty?
Quicken user since 1995, now using Premier Subscription on Win10 Home.

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sherlock said:
    q_lurker said:
    "No securities which are about to go long-term were found by Quicken." 
    Yeah but... When I test it, it doesn't even do that.  It's as if the item is not finding any holdings.
    Do we have any idea what the time frame is supposed to be for "about to"?  It will change holding period tomorrow, next week, next quarter?

OK, so I tested with a security that would switch to LT tomorrow, the next day, a week, less than a month, just more than a month.  None of them generated a listing in that View option.  My conclusion now -- the view selection is totally broken. 

Use a portfolio view for that info.  Somewhat unfortunate. 

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The text when you select that panel in the Home page setup says it shows securities that are about to move from short to long term.

So I would say that the message you see is incorrect.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I suspect the Security Holding Period item is broken.  If you haven't already, I suggest you report the issue to Quicken: select Help > Report a problem...

Until the issue is addressed, you may want to consider using a customized Portfolio view set to include the Holding Period column.  
  • DericRock
    DericRock Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Sherlock said:
    Until the issue is addressed, you may want to consider using a customized Portfolio view set to include the Holding Period column.  
    Thanks for the response, but the Holding Period column also shows no information. The cells are just blank. Do you see something different?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In the Portfolio views, the Holding Period is shown for each tax lot you hold. To view it, select Accounts next to Group by: and click on the plus sign next to a security name. To view all your holding periods, click on Expand all at the bottom of the view. 

The built in Tax Implications view shows the holding period columns, unless you have modified it. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • DericRock
    DericRock Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    In the Portfolio views, the Holding Period is shown for each tax lot you hold. To view it, select Accounts next to Group by: and click on the plus sign next to a security name. To view all your holding periods, click on Expand all at the bottom of the view. 
    Thanks Jim. I wasn't awake when I wrote that last question.
    At least the Holding Period column works. I'll see what happens end of December when one of my holdings approaches long term, and then I'll report the bug.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The text when you select that panel in the Home page setup says it shows securities that are about to move from short to long term.

I see the same message. I believe it should read only as: 
    That would be consistent with the explanation you see when choosing to add that item to a view. The presentation is not intended to show the already LT holdings; only those about to change. 

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    q_lurker said:

I see the same message. I believe it should read only as: 
    That would be consistent with the explanation you see when choosing to add that item to a view. The presentation is not intended to show the already LT holdings; only those about to change. 

Yeah but... When I test it, it doesn't even do that.  It's as if the item is not finding any holdings.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sherlock said:
    q_lurker said:
    Do we have any idea what the time frame is supposed to be for "about to"?  It will change holding period tomorrow, next week, next quarter?

OK, so I tested with a security that would switch to LT tomorrow, the next day, a week, less than a month, just more than a month.  None of them generated a listing in that View option.  My conclusion now -- the view selection is totally broken. 

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    q_lurker said:
    Sherlock said:
    q_lurker said:

Thanks for confirming.
  • DericRock
    DericRock Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for confirming. I have submitted a problem report to Quicken.
This discussion has been closed.