Issue with new Schwab authorization ... can login but no accounts listed

bjterp00
bjterp00 Member ✭✭
Hello - I've read all the announcements and instructions for the Schwab account download changes. I am able to login to Schwab via the new authorization window that appears, I then accept the terms, and then I go to a screen where my accounts should be listed, but they are not. I only see New Schwab Accounts with a tick-box for "Automatically link new Schwab accounts in future." None of my current 3 accounts are listed. Any ideas? I am trying to work with Quicken support via chat but my 9 minute way is now up to 30 minutes.
Tagged:

Answers

• beachdweller
    beachdweller Member ✭✭
    +1. I have the same issue--no accounts listed. I am running Version R37.25.
  • CocoaPuff
    CocoaPuff Member ✭✭
    How are these Schwab accounts registered? I suspect (not 100% certain) based on other posts and my own experience with Schwab accounts that I track in Quicken, the accounts listed are ones individually or jointly owned or if the accounts are registered to other persons or entities, you have full power of attorney on the account for it to be listed. This is totally a guess.
    I am using Quicken for Windows version R37.25 and connected to Charles Schwab & Co., Inc as the financial institution using Express Web Connect+ as the connection method.
  • bjterp00
    bjterp00 Member ✭✭
    These are personal accounts registered to me. One is a joint brokerage also registered to my wife, one is a Roth IRA (mine alone, of course), and a UTMA account for which I am the custodian for my son. I have the same issue on my wife's Schwab login ... hers has the joint brokerage and her Roth IRA. I am running the latest version of Quicken for Mac ... 6.4.something ... I'm not on my home computer right now, but it is the very latest version as of Nov 22nd @ 6 pm EST.
  • CRhelp
    CRhelp Member ✭✭
    I have the exact same issue, running Quicken Version 6.4.4 (Build 604.41834.100)
  • mitch.trumpetwin
    mitch.trumpetwin Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if this will work. However... Log on to Schwab. Hit services. Then security. At the bottom of the page it says Third-Party access. Make sure Quicken and Turbotax are enabled. Go to the quicken one on the bottom. Click access for all of them... Maybe this will help.
  • bjterp00
    bjterp00 Member ✭✭
    Thanks ... my Schwab account is setup to allow 3rd Party access. Just verified again. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    I don't know if this will work. However... Log on to Schwab. Hit services. Then security. At the bottom of the page it says Third-Party access. Make sure Quicken and Turbotax are enabled. Go to the quicken one on the bottom. Click access for all of them... Maybe this will help.
    Mitch, and @bjterp00

The 3rd party access is the OLD way of letting Quicken and TurboTax access Schwab data ... by giving them your genuine Schwab password and acknowledging that any transactions performed by them with your password will NOT be subject to 2 factor authorization and will be assume genuine.  The high risk of that access is why Schwab introduced the new, more secure access method.  (Click the link at the top right of the Schwab security page to read about it.)

The SECOND panel for just Quicken on the Schwab Security page is the new method... with which Schwab gives Quicken limited access for downloads via an app-specific password, thus protecting the assets in your account.

Highly recommend that you, and everyone else, UNcheck the 3rd party access (old method).  I certainly hope when TurboTax comes out for this tax year that they will use the new download method - but if not, you may have to check that box just for the hour that you use TurboTax to connect to and download your 1099s (and should change your Schwab password afterwards).

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• CRhelp
    CRhelp Member ✭✭
    This remains an unresolved problem for me. Running Version 6.4.4
  • Hello all,

Thank you all for taking the time to visit the Community with your questions and concerns and continuing to update this discussion. 

In the event that some or all of your accounts don't show up during the reauthorization process, you will need to log in to Schwab's website. You should be prompted to authorize from their end. Here is a QWin/QMac Knowledge Base article that mentions this step. I realize this is a Mac discussion, but it will show a picture of what this authorization looks like on the Windows side of the article.

Please let us know if this resolves your issue, and if not we will be happy to take another look at this for you all. Thank you for your continued patience and participation.

Quicken Alyssa

• hegedus
    hegedus Member ✭✭
    I have this same problem and I have logged into my Schwab account several time today. Not ONCE did it prompt me to authorize my accounts. Please help. I have been tracking my IRA/401K's/brokerage accounts with Quicken for years now. All of sudden it stopped.
  • lwj
    lwj Member ✭✭
    I have this problem too.
    When I go through the Quicken "reauthorization process" or through my Schwab account I get to "Select your Schwab accounts to link" but there are NO ACCOUNTS LISTED.
  • bjterp00
    bjterp00 Member ✭✭
    Alyssa,

My Mac brings up the Schwab Authorization screen, and I have logged in, then accepted the terms and conditions as shown on the screen shot in what you've attached. However, as it proceeds to the next page, my accounts are not listed in the Schwab window to select and link to Quicken. I tried to access chat service and share the screenshots, but with no luck after waiting for 60 mins when the predicted wait time was 9 mins. I also tried to attache the screenshots to the 'submit an issue' windows that came up after my error, but it would not let me select files to upload along with the standard diagnostics. So, this is the only avenue I've found to actually report the issue - which others too seem to be having, and which is different than all the other issues listed on the various other posts re: this conversion.

I'd be happy for someone from Quicken to reach out to me, and I can provide screenshots, replicate the problem live, etc.

> @"Quicken Alyssa" said:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Thank you all for taking the time to visit the Community with your questions and concerns and continuing to update this discussion. 
    >
    > In the event that some or all of your accounts don't show up during the reauthorization process, you will need to log in to Schwab's website. You should be prompted to authorize from their end. Here is a QWin/QMac Knowledge Base article that mentions this step. I realize this is a Mac discussion, but it will show a picture of what this authorization looks like on the Windows side of the article.
    >
    > Please let us know if this resolves your issue, and if not we will be happy to take another look at this for you all. Thank you for your continued patience and participation.
    >
    >
    >
    > Quicken Alyssa
  • Amazo2
    Amazo2 Member ✭✭
    For me this has been going on since Nov 16. It’s the same thing. No accounts EVER show in the authorize page. I’ve been in contact with Quicken and Schwab tech support, each has blamed the other. Screen shots, diagnostic logs, etc have all been submitted with a Quicken support person viewing the screen. Please fix the issue between your two companies.
  • lwj
    lwj Member ✭✭
    I identified this problem on the 23rd and advised Quicken support through chat on 24th.
    I raised it again here https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20217971 on the 25th.
    So far there has been no response from Quicken support.
    I know that they have lots of other problems and that it is a weekend but it leaves us with a product that is not fit for purpose.
  • bjterp00
    bjterp00 Member ✭✭
    @lwj I looked and commented on your other post, thanks! Did you get the problem solved yet? My case has been escalated to Schwab's tech support but they think I need Quicken tier 2 support. Won't hear back from Schwab's escalation for another day or two.
  • CRhelp
    CRhelp Member ✭✭
    UPDATE - This remains an unresolved problem for me. Running Version 6.4.4
  • bjterp00
    bjterp00 Member ✭✭
    The "good" news is that even after waiting for 30+ minutes for Quicken Chat help, I had an agent connect, not type anything, then disconnect and end the chat. Starting over from scratch to try to get through.
  • lwj
    lwj Member ✭✭
    @bjterp00 - Did you get the problem solved yet? NO!
    I am also waiting for Schwab to come back to me.
  • bjterp00
    bjterp00 Member ✭✭
    Got thru to Quicken Chat support. They said it must be an issue on the Schwab side.
  • John Prewitt
    John Prewitt Member ✭✭✭
    I got hold of someone at Charles Schwab who has answers for this issue. It appears that some account types such as business accounts lack the Eligibility to Share Account Data with a Third-Party. Within the next month Schwab will be rolling out enhancements that will allow clients to re-link these accounts.
  • CRhelp
    CRhelp Member ✭✭
    UPDATE - I only have personal accounts, no business accounts. This remains an unresolved problem for me. Running Version 6.4.4
  • lwj
    lwj Member ✭✭
    > @John Prewitt said:
    > Charles Schwab says that some account types lack the Eligibility to Share Account Data with a Third-Party.
    Thanks John. My account with Schwab is a bit more complicated than normal so I wondered about this. It looks like you have beaten both Quicken and Schwab to clarify my problem.
    Will @""Quicken Alyssa" look into this a.s.a.p. and confirm please?
  • MontanaKarl
    @lwj I don't think this is anything that Quicken, or @Quicken Alyssa can look into since it is on the Schwab side - their decision making.

If you have not already, log into your Schwab account and go to the Services tab and then the Security page.  There, expand the Quicken section to view the list of your available Quicken accounts.  Only accounts listed there can be linked to Quicken... and Schwab is 100% in control of what appears there so you'd have to contact them.  In another thread, people with complex trusts that have co-trustees, for example, have found that those trust accounts are not listed and Schwab claims that is by intent.  In that thread, the chat is that lawyers got involved and don't understand that the data is read-only, so each trustee that has view access should be able to download.  Etc for LLC, and other account types that are mentioned elsewhere here as not showing up for linkage.

• lwj
    lwj Member ✭✭
    > @MontanaKarl said:
    Thanks for explaining that. Quicken support would have had me going around in circles because even though I explained at the start that there were no available Quicken accounts they didn't understand the relevance. This experience has also encouraged me to look at the security aspects of linking my accounts and I won't be doing it. Quicken is a great product but for me security comes first.
  • MontanaKarl
    @lwj
    Actually, the new method of linking accounts is secure - certainly more secure than the old method.
    With the old method, your Schwab credentials could potentially be intercepted and used to gain access to your account.  With the new method, nobody has your actual Schwab password.  Instead, a special permission - can think of it as an app specific password or a digital key - is granted to Quicken - which cannot be used by any other app - and which provides only a read-only access to the linked accounts for the purpose of downloading transaction data.

• CRhelp
    CRhelp Member ✭✭
    I just called Schwab and discovered my personal issue. I am currently a US citizen living overseas with Schwab accounts in my name. Tech support let me know that Schwab has decided not to allow Quicken access for their international customers.
  • MontanaKarl
    CRhelp said:
    I just called Schwab and discovered my personal issue. I am currently a US citizen living overseas with Schwab accounts in my name. Tech support let me know that Schwab has decided not to allow Quicken access for their international customers.
    Wow.  That's weird.  If the concern is data security, does that mean Schwab is not using encrypted connections?

I would think that you could use a VPN with a US presence to connect...since you will look as if you are at a US IP address.  Unless Intuit (the go-between between Schwab and Quicken) is checking for VPN connections and disallowing them...or Schwab has blocked your account because your account information itself indicates a foreign address.

• bjterp00
    bjterp00 Member ✭✭
    Thanks all for your inputs. Schwab - despite promising they would - has not called me back. The issue must be as listed above ... I am a Schwab One International customer as I live outside the US. I'd be happy to use a VPN but I suspect they simply don't make the accounts available b/c they have ex-US addresses for my accounts since I live overseas. I am holding to speak with them again, but we'll see if I can get some help.
  • lwj
    lwj Member ✭✭
    > @bjterp00 said:
    > I am a Schwab One International customer as I live outside the US.
    My understanding is that there is no current possibility of Schwab One International customers being able to download direct to Quicken. Going through the procedures initially advised by Quicken Support were ineffective as it is not a technical issue but a policy issue from Schwab. If enough Schwab One International customers complain then Schwab is likely to reinstate downloads to Quicken. Until then you could try downloading as CSV and manipulating into a QIF file for import. ImportQIF would appear to be the best way of doing this but it is not easy.
This discussion has been closed.