Update Selected OnLine account Updates ALL ACCOUNTS!!!!!

Before this recent disastrous update I could update my checking account without having to update my investment accounts. Even though this would update all the other accounts such as credit cards etc, besides the "selected" account which I did not like, but I learned to live with it. However I just updated my selected checking account and now I am getting all my brokerage and investing accounts updated as well , mid day! For me this is unacceptable since I only want to update my investment accounts once a week and certainly do not want to update in the middle of a stock trading day for various reasons. Is this something that has changed recently?? Really getting tired of Quicken at this point!

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    It's been this way for a number of years. When you update any account that's Direct Connect, it updates all accounts at that financial institution. When you update any one Quicken Connect account, it updates ALL Quicken Connect accounts, even at different banks. But that shouldn't affect your brokerage since that should be Direct Connect. Unless maybe it's Schwab. Is it Schwab? There were changes in the last update regarding Schwab and there have been umpteen problems. Many posts about it here on the forum. I don't use Schwab, so I don't read those posts or know anything about the details. 

One other thing: there's a setting in Preferences > Connected Services to automatically update investment quotes every 60 minutes (including when Quicken opens). Make sure that's unchecked if you don't want quotes updated during the day.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • I'm having a similar issue. I have two separate accounts at different banks. Even though I'm trying to update my checking account only, it's still asking me for one time password for my car loan account which is at a different bank. Just this morning the OTP system for my car loan account wasn't working, so I was unable to update my checking account because of this.
  • WillyH
    WillyH Member ✭✭
    For years I have been able to update my checking account without updating my investment accounts. My checking account is not at the same financial institution as any of my other accounts, Investment (brokerage) or Credit cards. Unfortunately this also updated all my Credit card accounts which are NOT at the same financial institution. As you say this has been going on for years and i learned to deal with it. Frankly this is a behavior that should have been changed years ago! Now with the recent changes it also is updating all my Investment Accounts as well and this is UNACCEPTABLE to me. Yes , some of the accounts are Schwab but others are not, for instance Vanguard. My current setting for Vanguard is Direct Connect. My current setting for Schwab is Quicken Connect. Not sure when it may have been changed or maybe it always was Quicken Connect. I had to get support involved because of the Schwab debacle so maybe? it was changed then? In any case I just tried again to update my "selected" checking account which is currently set as Quicken Connect and EVERYTHING got updated including my Vanguard account which is Direct Connect. Tell Quicken to forget about new useless features and get the MOST USEFUL feature they have, which is synching with financial institutions, right.
  • RickO
    I'm not a Schwab user, so I'm not familiar with the recent change. But it certainly could have resulted in those accounts being included in the Q/C update when that's triggered. Your D/C account (Vanguard) should not be updating when you update a Q/C account unless you've chosen Update All Online Accounts. If that's happening, then I'd contact support about it.
  • WillyH
    WillyH Member ✭✭
    What type account should I use for Schwab? QC or DC. Then should I switch vanguard to QC from DC? Any advantages one way or another?
  • RickO
    I would always use DC when available unless the FI charges for it. It is faster, more reliable, can be more up to date and doesn't require updating everything together. I use Fidelity and TIAA and they both only support DC. I thought that was the case for all brokerages (Schwab changes notwithstanding), but I may be wrong.
  • MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    WillyH said:
    What type account should I use for Schwab? QC or DC. Then should I switch vanguard to QC from DC? Any advantages one way or another?
    You do not have a choice of connection method with Schwab.  Quicken Connect is the only available method supported by the new, secure Schwab connection implemented in November.  (On the Windows side, this is called Express Web Connect Plus (EWC+) to distinguish it from the previous EWC without the plus.)

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

This discussion has been closed.