How do I set up new Columns in Quicken Banking Transaction Report?

How do I add a Column to record Gross royalty income, a Column to record deduction for Tax, and a Column to record other Deductions? These columns would be in addition to the Net deposit that I currently enter in Quicken.

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    I assume you're referring to the report that comes up by clicking Reports > Banking > Transactions.
    If that's correct then the answer is "you can't."  That's one of Quicken's canned reports and it has 11 columns available.  You can choose to not show all 11 of these columns, but you can't add your own columns.
    I have a feeling that you're not doing your "net check" entry correctly because it's in that entry that you capture all of your accounting, not in some report. 
    The proper way to make your entry to capture the detail you want your Spending reports to show is to enter the net check dollars in the Deposits column, then split that entry before saving it.  The split window would start with an income Category called Gross Royalty and in the dollar field you'd enter, as a positive amount, the gross royalty before deductions.  The next line (or lines) would use the tax expense Categories you use and would be entered as negative numbers.  You would continue in this fashion using any other deductions, with their Categories and amounts (also entered as negative numbers).
    The gross amount less deductions should come back to the net amount you previously entered. 

Answers

• Tom Young
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    I assume you're referring to the report that comes up by clicking Reports > Banking > Transactions.
    If that's correct then the answer is "you can't."  That's one of Quicken's canned reports and it has 11 columns available.  You can choose to not show all 11 of these columns, but you can't add your own columns.
    I have a feeling that you're not doing your "net check" entry correctly because it's in that entry that you capture all of your accounting, not in some report. 
    The proper way to make your entry to capture the detail you want your Spending reports to show is to enter the net check dollars in the Deposits column, then split that entry before saving it.  The split window would start with an income Category called Gross Royalty and in the dollar field you'd enter, as a positive amount, the gross royalty before deductions.  The next line (or lines) would use the tax expense Categories you use and would be entered as negative numbers.  You would continue in this fashion using any other deductions, with their Categories and amounts (also entered as negative numbers).
    The gross amount less deductions should come back to the net amount you previously entered. 
  • tmiller225
    tmiller225 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your help. This relates to oil & gas royalty payments. When payment details are entered as Splits (Tax deductions, Other Deductions and Net) would I be able to produce report by Producers that shows and totals those Splits?
  • Tom Young
    Thanks for your help. This relates to oil & gas royalty payments. When payment details are entered as Splits (Tax deductions, Other Deductions and Net) would I be able to produce report by Producers that shows and totals those Splits?
    If you put the Payer name in the Payee box when you make a deposit you can easily run reports by "payee" that will list out the information you want to see.
  • tmiller225
    tmiller225 Member ✭✭
    I entered the Splits on a couple of recent royalty payments as a test. When I run an Itemized Payee report it shows --Split-- but I have to use the magnifying glass to look at each such entry to see the Splits. It does show totals of the Splits categories by Producer or Payee. Is there a way to show the totals for each Split item for each producer or Payee?
  • Tom Young
    edited December 2021
    "I entered the Splits on a couple of recent royalty payments as a test. When I run an Itemized Payee report it shows --Split-- but I have to use the magnifying glass to look at each such entry to see the Splits."
    I don't understand that.  I set up a little test of some different royalties received and I had no trouble seeing all the elements of the report (open image in new tab to see this full sized):
    The splits for each producer are easy to see; they're the same size as each producer's total, but not bolded.
    "Is there a way to show the totals for each Split item for each producer or Payee?"
    One way to do this is to would be to create (and save) a customized Spending Report by Category for each separate producer:

If you're looking for some sort of report with a column for each producer and rows for each producer's Gross Royalties and their expenses I think you'd have to do that in Excel by exporting each producer's Income and Expense by Category report.
This discussion has been closed.