USAA doesn't save password (PIN) for access account on Direct Downloads

I've been using Quicken for many many years and have never had problems downloading from USAA until this year when they changed the way you authenticate. Since then, after setting up Direct Downloads, everything seems to work fine. Until one day it doesn't. Then it will "forget" that it saved the password needed to authenticated and re-prompt me for it. I can even see the credential get stored into the Keychain, but then it is removed after the download completes. I don't know if this correlates, but it only seems to happen if I have "sync to mobile/web" enabled. I ran for weeks after resetting all my cloud data and disabling the mobile sync, and could download transactions without the password prompt. As soon as I enable mobile sync, it starts prompting for the passwords. This doesn't happen with any of my other financial institutions that I download from in Quicken (at least four other banks / credit unions).

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @keith.and.meliss,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Do you have a recent backup you can restore? To start with, I suggest restoring a backup file to see if the same issue occurs in the restored file. If needed, please, review this support article. Scroll down until you see Quicken for Mac and open the blue dropdown section(s) titled Restore Quicken data and/or Restore an automatic backup for instructions on how to restore a backup.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Thanks Anja. I have many regular backups and it doesn't resolve the issue, just reverts my data to a time before the issue manifested.

I can positiviely say it has something to do with the Mobile Sync enablement. I disabled the mobile/web sync option in Quicken for Mac, and re-setup my USAA downloads using the Direct option as recommended by them with the Access ID and PIN, and can download transactions as many times as I wish and the proper credentials are stored in the macOS keychain.

Once I flip on sync to mobile/web and perform a sync, it loses the credentials and each time I sync I have to re-setup the connection to USAA.

So something in the way that the mobile/web function handles USAA's credentials is broken. It might be more broadly a symptom of how the mobile/web function handles any institution using Direct downloads, as they are the only bank I use that *doesn't* use Quicken's aggregation service, which I suspect is used by the mobile/web services as well.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Thank you for your response.

Have you tried seeing if a manual Quicken Cloud reset would help prevent this? To do this, first, save a backup (just in case). Sign out of the mobile and/or web apps (if applicable). Then, follow the steps below to remove the cloud account from your main data file.
    1. On your desktop program - navigate to the Quicken dropdown menu
    2. Preferences
    3. Mobile, Sync & Alerts and turn sync Off
    4. Close Preferences
    5. Open a different data file, or if you don't have a second data file to open, then create a temporary new data file (click here to view instructions under To create a new data file).
    6. Once you've opened a different data file, navigate back to Quicken
    7. Preferences
    8. Connected Services
    9. Click on See all cloud accounts 
    10. Select the cloud account name from your original file
    11. Click the minus-sign (-) in the bottom left corner
    12. On the pop-up screen, click Delete Cloud Account
    13. Switch back to your original data file (click here to view instructions, scroll down to Switching between data files)
    14. Once you've returned to your original data file, navigate back to Quicken
    15. Preferences
    16. Mobile, Sync & Alerts and turn sync back on
    Once that is done, see if this resolved the issue. You can then also delete the new file you previously created as well as its cloud account (if applicable).

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• davisst
    davisst Member ✭✭
    I have exactly the same problem. I've followed all of the steps in this thread, but the issue returns each time I turn Mobile sync and alerts back on. It's very frustrating. The ability to update and review accounts while away from home is critical, and this bug renders that unusable.
  • jerrymel
    jerrymel Member ✭✭
    I can confirm that I have the exact same issue. This began after I was forced to reset my cloud account. Turning off Mobile sync on my USAA account stopped it from requesting the PIN everytime I connected. But this is not a Fix.
  • coly8s
    coly8s Member ✭✭
    As others have noted, the only fix appears to be leaving Mobile sync off. The strange this is this behavior only started after the last Quicken program update.
  • jerrymel
    jerrymel Member ✭✭
    > @"Quicken Anja" said:
    > Thank you for your response.
    >
    > Have you tried seeing if a manual Quicken Cloud reset would help prevent this? To do this, first, save a backup (just in case). Sign out of the mobile and/or web apps (if applicable). Then, follow the steps below to remove the cloud account from your main data file.* On your desktop program - navigate to the Quicken dropdown menu
    > * Preferences
    > * Mobile, Sync & Alerts and turn sync Off
    > * Close Preferences
    >
    > * Open a different data file, or if you don't have a second data file to open, then create a temporary new data file (click here to view instructions under To create a new data file).
    > * Once you've opened a different data file, navigate back to Quicken
    > * Preferences
    > * Connected Services
    > * Click on See all cloud accounts 
    > * Select the cloud account name from your original file
    > * Click the minus-sign (-) in the bottom left corner
    > * On the pop-up screen, click Delete Cloud Account
    > * Switch back to your original data file (click here to view instructions, scroll down to Switching between data files)
    > * Once you've returned to your original data file, navigate back to Quicken
    > * Preferences
    > * Mobile, Sync & Alerts and turn sync back on
    >
    > Once that is done, see if this resolved the issue. You can then also delete the new file you previously created as well as its cloud account (if applicable).
    >
    > Let us know how it goes!

It appears you have received your answer, Anja. The only question is: Will there be a fix forthcoming?
This discussion has been closed.