Why with my subscription service - any repeating payment shows up at very bottom of register?

OK this just bugs me and not sure why it does it. Seem since I signed up for subscription service. My repeating payments always show at the very end of the register.

For instance if todays date is December 3rd. and my repeating payment is showing scheduled for Dec. 10th it shows it at the very end of the register "until" after it clears then it moves it up to the date listed. Yes it shows the date of payment scheduled at Dec 10th but no matter what I do it will not move to the sequence in order of my register.

For instance.. I may have other manually scheduled payments for Dec. 3-15 and they are all listed in order in my register according to date.. its only the repeating payments that show at the very bottom of register. How can I get my repeating scheduled payments to show in the proper order in sequence according to date of payment instead of date it clears?

Am I missing a step when setting them up? I don't see anything I am doing differently nor do I see any option when I am setting up the repeating payment on how it will appear in the register before it is has actually cleared and posted?

It messes up the balance on my register to give me a false sense of more funds being in the account then their actually is on X date.

Thank you.

Best Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    LBE said:
    Its hard to explain.. just in a text format.
    You can drag'n'drop an image file into the reply box. It will appear as an attachment. After you've earned enough brownie points on the forum, you will be able to insert inline images.
    I'm having trouble envisioning your issue, so a screen shot will help.
    Also, just for grins, check that the register sort order is correct and that you're not accidentally showing reminders in the register.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You say the sort order is correct, but what is your selected order?  For that snippet, it appears to be check number - 5106 through 5119. 

Answers

• Hello @LBE,

Thank you for coming to the Community with your questions and concerns, though I apologize that this is bugging you. 

The future-dated scheduled transactions do intentionally show up at the top or bottom of the register and are separated from the already entered transactions by a blue or green line. The transactions you describe that are future dated but fall in order in your register, are manually entered transactions. Quicken puts those with the rest because you have entered them, and therefore it assumes that they have already taken place. The scheduled transactions are separate until you tell Quicken to enter them into the register with the rest. This is how it is intended to work.

Regarding the balance being off and causing you some confusion, Quicken provides you with more than one balance at the bottom of your register. The "Online Balance" is the same as your cleared/posted balance on the bank's end, as of your last download. "Ending Balance" is the total of everything shown in the account register. "Current Balance" is the same as the Ending Balance, but does not include any of those future dated transactions or scheduled transactions. It is calculated to date.

I hope this helps! Do let us know if you have any more questions or concerns, thanks!

Quicken Alyssa

• LBE
    LBE Member ✭✭
    That's too bad. Bummer, before subscription service it was not like that. I may have to rethink continuing on with my subscription as it is a very HUGE issue for me.

Thanks for answering though - now I know there is nothing that can be done about it.
  • LBE
    LBE Member ✭✭
    Hmm my manually entered in payments are ONLINE payments that have not posted/cleared yet they were just manually entered and then submitted for online payment versus - setting a recurring repeat payment.

So makes no sense why quicken would "assume" just because I manually entered in an online payment to get paid has already taken place when that is not the case at all.
  • LBE
    LBE Member ✭✭
    How do you "tell" quicken to enter them in with the rest? The repeating payments so they do not show at the bottom of the register. I have tried changing date on them just to move them up and nada it won't happen.
  • LBE
    LBE Member ✭✭
    The repeating payments will not move up the register "until" the payment has cleared. .. period.

Al my payments using quicken are all "online" payments. Some I enter in months in advance.. just do not make them repeating but they are still online payments. The only ones sitting at the bottom of the register and not movable are only the repeating online ones. So I could have payments for 2 months out scheduled that I set up manually to pay online and. then way that the bottom of the register is the one repeating payment that was not move up the register.. even if there "post dated" couple months of online payments ahead of them..

Its horrible that quicken does not allow "anymore" for repeating payments to show in register in chronological order according to date with other manually scheduled "Online" payments.
  • Hello again @LBE

Just to clear up any confusion, the ones that are showing in order are there because you manually entered them there. I feel like my use of the word "assume" was a bad choice of words and may have caused you some confusion and I apologize for that. 

Are these scheduled online payments that you don't like seeing, ones that you have set up reminders for in your Quicken? I just want to make sure that I am understanding what exactly you are referring to. My first comment was regarding reminders/"scheduled transactions" and how they work. But based on your next few comments I am questioning if they are reminders. 

If they are reminders or transactions that you put on a schedule from within Quicken, they should show a little clock icon on the far left of the transaction in the register. If they are not set up in Quicken and are related to Bank Bill Pay, I believe that they will have a little envelope icon instead of the clock. 

I think some screenshots would definitely help us avoid some unnecessary confusion. If you don't mind, could you please provide one or two of the transactions at the bottom of your register? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Thank you.

Quicken Alyssa

• LBE
    LBE Member ✭✭
    Hi Alyssa,

There are 2 kinds of online payments one can setup in quicken.

1:) Repeating online meaning you can set up for X amount each month to automatically get paid to a certain vendor on a specific date. You only have to enter in these once under "repeating online" For instance lets say I am the middle of remolding my home and borrowed A amount on a credit card - So I would set up monthly payments to be sent atomically repeating. One set $ monthly amount amount does not change month per month. Until the balance is paid off in full. six months 12 etc.

2:) Manual entered online payments that you set up just once as no need for same amount to be paid each month on x day. For instance paying the electric company for the months usage. Or Property taxes (once a year) these amounts vary. Thus a repeating automatic payment WOULD NOT be a wise choice for those vendors as the amounts change per month.

The repeating payments in #1 are the ones that show in the very bottom of the register and do not move to the proper date "until" the vendor has cashed or received the payment. When I update the transactions for that vendor by connecting online through Quicken and download once the vendor received payment - only then will now that repeating payment move over into dated chronological order.

So seems like if I set up lets say my property taxes that are not due for a month but I want to enter it for an online payment on a specific date so I do not forget to pay it. I enter it in to be sent as an online payment but no matter if it is 1 month or 2 months dated after_ my repeating payment in scenario #1 will always show up at the very bottom of the register under the vendor has received and cashed them.. even after the the property tax one in Scenario #2 that is not even going to process until months after the repeating online one.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    LBE said:
    You can drag'n'drop an image file into the reply box. It will appear as an attachment. After you've earned enough brownie points on the forum, you will be able to insert inline images.
    I'm having trouble envisioning your issue, so a screen shot will help.
    Also, just for grins, check that the register sort order is correct and that you're not accidentally showing reminders in the register.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• @LBE,

Thanks again for continuing to update us. 

I do understand what you are saying about the types of scheduled payments, etc. But there are just too many outliers that could change the advice that I give you. So I agree that a screenshot really feels like the best way to proceed. 

We need to first determine where these reoccurring online payments are coming from. And by what method they are getting paid. Then we can determine how to get them out of the register completely, or in the register the way you would like them to be if at all possible. 

Thanks so much for your participation and patience. Looking forward to hearing back from you on this.

Quicken Alyssa

• LBE
    LBE Member ✭✭
    Will have to get back to you on that as I deleted all my repeating payments just today as it was bugging me so much. I will set some more up in a day or two then screen shot to show you.

And yes my register sort order is correct. ;-)
  • LBE
    LBE Member ✭✭
    OK I set it up again. See my register.. the ONLY repeating transaction is Home depot. The rest are all online payments to be sent but only one time. See how Home Depot is listed at the bottom.. It will only move up the register on the 14th when I do the update and home depot receives the payment.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You say the sort order is correct, but what is your selected order?  For that snippet, it appears to be check number - 5106 through 5119. 
  • LBE
    LBE Member ✭✭
    Thank you so much!!! q-lurket... something so simple and overlooked by "me" has been bugging me for over a year already. I'm walking away with my head hung low in embarrassment. Thanks again!
  • LBE
    LBE Member ✭✭
    For anyone who has this issue. I had the register sorting by check number "instead" of by Date. My issue has been solved once I sorted register by Date..
This discussion has been closed.