I always get this error message when updating through One Step Update; what's the fix?

kj1289
kj1289 Member
The process cannot access the file 'C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w3072\base\ScreenShare\Quicken.Screenshare.exe' because it is being used by another process.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    kj1289 said:
    The process cannot access the file 'C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w3072\base\ScreenShare\Quicken.Screenshare.exe' because it is being used by another process.
    Then, I suggest you don't update through One Step Update.

Instead, I suggest you exit Quicken, reboot Windows, download and apply the Mondo patch for the desired update from: https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product,
    https://community.quicken.com/categories/quickencommunity_product_releases_and_announcements_windows, or
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
  • kj1289
    kj1289 Member
    Thank you. I installed the "Mondo" a couple of weeks ago. This type of error message has happened before and after that patch. I did not reboot the computer but did turn off my TrendMicro Anti-virus and the update went through. Not sure what the anti-virus recognizes as something nefarious, but I guess that's what I have to do going forward. Not sure if that's what other users have discovered but maybe something the "Update Team" can use to improve the update experience.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    kj1289 said:
    Thank you. I installed the "Mondo" a couple of weeks ago. This type of error message has happened before and after that patch. I did not reboot the computer but did turn off my TrendMicro Anti-virus and the update went through. Not sure what the anti-virus recognizes as something nefarious, but I guess that's what I have to do going forward. Not sure if that's what other users have discovered but maybe something the "Update Team" can use to improve the update experience.

Have you discussed this with TrendMicro Support? They are the only AV software provider mentioned by name in other discussions when it comes to this type of file in use problem during installation of updates.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    kj1289 said:
    I included the reboot in case you had actually left a screen share session open with Quicken Support.

If you haven't already, I suggest you report the issue to Trend Micro.  
  • kj1289
    kj1289 Member
    I'm thankful for all these forums to help me find a workaround for my problem. I try and share my experience to return the favor and help someone else who may have had a similar issue. It's all much quicker than any company's support hotline otherwise I suspect that they wouldn't exist.

I went to Quicken Forum and Reddit and never saw TrendMicro mentioned by name but will take your word for it. But if that is the case, then I would expect someone from both software companies to be aware of this issue and working on it if they found it worthy of their time. Much easier for me to just turn off/on my AV and go about my business. I'm sure they don't need me telling them how to do their jobs.
  • Andy Nestor
    Andy Nestor Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue - the update can't be applied because there is a file open. It is a different file for me though, I just don't remember what it is. I work around it by downloading the full install - but that is a pain in the neck. I will say that I also use Trend Micro AV. I will report an issue with them the next time I get the error (which will be the next time a Quicken update comes out).
  • kj1289
    kj1289 Member
    I have had different files "open" too. Was doing the same thing as you; either ignoring the update or downloading the full install all over again. I will know for sure if it's Trend Micro the next time it happens but I'm pretty sure it's the culprit. It's simpler to exit Trend Micro, do the Quicken update, and then turn Trend Micro back on for sure.
This discussion has been closed.