Is there a way to change account order of updates in One Step Update

Is there any way to make it so I can put an account needing two-factor authentication first? That way, I could wait for the code, enter it, and walk away to make coffee if the other accounts don't use TFA.

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi @Brian112,

So there isn't a way to tell Quicken which order you would like it to make its connections on an "account by account" basis. 

The best you can do is to potentially delay (or perhaps accelerate) when you are asked to provide "two factor authentication" by not including those accounts in one "One Step Update".  This will require you to deselect those accounts with 2FA from your primary "Update Process" routine and then - after you have made your coffee - come back and do a second OSU covering only those accounts that will require your active involvement (i.e. where you need to react to Quicken's requests for codes, etc.).  Or, you could reverse it and download those accounts requiring your involvement first, and then run all the other accounts while you brew your coffee.  Personally, I run the automatics first and - after I have my cup - leisurely allow Quicken to do its more timely thing that requires my attention.

This may not be the answer you had wanted, but I do hope this helps.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    There is no way to change the financial institution order for the One Step Update.

If you have more financial institutions that require MFA than do not, I suggest you consider using One Step Update for the downloads that require MFA and use the Update Now or the Update Transactions for the financial institutions that do not.  Otherwise, I suggest you consider using One Step Update for the downloads that do not require MFA and use the Update Now or the Update Transactions for the financial institutions that do: open one of the registers associated with the financial institution and press Ctrl + Shift + N
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @alyankee,

As I noted above, the Direct Connect ("DC") accounts, like your Amex, TDA, and your banks, will always get updated first, followed by the Express Web Connect ("EWC") accounts.  While you may be able to change the order of accounts of the same type (i.e. change the order of the DC accounts , or change the order of the EWC accounts), you won't be able to force any EWC account to update before all the DC accounts are processed. 

You might want to keep that in mind as you experiment with your ordering.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Brian112 said:
    Hi alyankee, Indeed I see that order in my OSU window. I am wondering, then, since the Institution are apparently processed by name, can the name be bogused in, like "a-Bank of America", "b Smith Barney", "c-Chase Manhattan", etc. So if BA requires a TFA, then the OSU can be processed accordingly with TFA's first. Maybe? Can I have my coffee now? :smile:

Thanks

Brian
    The financial institution's name may not be bogused when Online Services are enabled.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi @Brian112,

So there isn't a way to tell Quicken which order you would like it to make its connections on an "account by account" basis. 

The best you can do is to potentially delay (or perhaps accelerate) when you are asked to provide "two factor authentication" by not including those accounts in one "One Step Update".  This will require you to deselect those accounts with 2FA from your primary "Update Process" routine and then - after you have made your coffee - come back and do a second OSU covering only those accounts that will require your active involvement (i.e. where you need to react to Quicken's requests for codes, etc.).  Or, you could reverse it and download those accounts requiring your involvement first, and then run all the other accounts while you brew your coffee.  Personally, I run the automatics first and - after I have my cup - leisurely allow Quicken to do its more timely thing that requires my attention.

This may not be the answer you had wanted, but I do hope this helps.

Frankx

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    There is no way to change the financial institution order for the One Step Update.

If you have more financial institutions that require MFA than do not, I suggest you consider using One Step Update for the downloads that require MFA and use the Update Now or the Update Transactions for the financial institutions that do not.  Otherwise, I suggest you consider using One Step Update for the downloads that do not require MFA and use the Update Now or the Update Transactions for the financial institutions that do: open one of the registers associated with the financial institution and press Ctrl + Shift + N
  • Brian112
    Brian112 Member ✭✭
    Thanks Sherlock, appreciate your time and effort. Brian
  • Brian112
    Brian112 Member ✭✭
    Thanks Frank, it was what I thought would be the solution after I thought it out awhile. Perhaps the developers would see fir to make it so we can change the order, but it may not be that big a deal in their worldview. I appreciate your time and effort. Brian
  • alyankee
    alyankee Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue, and use the same workaround. However, the accounts get ordered somehow in one-step update, it's not random. There must be a way for the user to determine the order, even if it's in the initial setup.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    alyankee said:
    I have the same issue, and use the same workaround. However, the accounts get ordered somehow in one-step update, it's not random. There must be a way for the user to determine the order, even if it's in the initial setup.
    The order in our Quicken file appears to be alphabetical based on the financial institution's name but all our accounts use the Direct Connect connection method. 
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Hi @alyankee,

I believe that the order (at least for my accounts) is:

First - all Direct Connect accounts (in their Alpha order by FI name)
    Second - all Express Web Accounts (cannot determine the order exactly, however those accounts that require 2FA seem to  be placed at the end of the line, because the prompts occur at the very end of the process)

Frankx

• Brian112
    Brian112 Member ✭✭
    Hi alyankee, Indeed I see that order in my OSU window. I am wondering, then, since the Institution are apparently processed by name, can the name be bogused in, like "a-Bank of America", "b Smith Barney", "c-Chase Manhattan", etc. So if BA requires a TFA, then the OSU can be processed accordingly with TFA's first. Maybe? Can I have my coffee now? :smile:

Thanks

Brian
  • alyankee
    alyankee Member ✭✭
    In my OSU window, the accounts are listed alphabetically, but they don't appear to process alphabetically. When processing, it's Amex credit card account first, then TDAmeritrade investing account, then the savings and checking accounts at three different banks (all express web accounts) more or less simultaneously - except that one of them has the two-factor authentication, which makes all of them wait for that to go through before completing. I'll try Brian's alpha suggestion, to see if it makes any difference.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @alyankee,

As I noted above, the Direct Connect ("DC") accounts, like your Amex, TDA, and your banks, will always get updated first, followed by the Express Web Connect ("EWC") accounts.  While you may be able to change the order of accounts of the same type (i.e. change the order of the DC accounts , or change the order of the EWC accounts), you won't be able to force any EWC account to update before all the DC accounts are processed. 

You might want to keep that in mind as you experiment with your ordering.

Frankx

• Brian112
    Brian112 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Thanks, Frank, I will keep it in mind. But the developers need to look at that, as well. Alyankee thak you also, please let us know what happened. Brian
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Brian112 said:

Thanks

Brian
    The financial institution's name may not be bogused when Online Services are enabled.