CHASE BANK--Can't download CC transactions - "sorry we encountered an error"

Dave S
Dave S Member ✭✭✭
1-I’m trying to download transactions from my Chase Bank credit card account. Up until a few weeks ago it worked fine. I am using quicken For Windows (subscription) and it is automatically updated with the current version so that isn't the problem.

2-I deactivated the online services for Chase and took steps to reactivate as follows: I entered my Chase Bank ID and password, Chase bank then sends me a code by text and I enter that code. The next thing that happens is it says “looking for accounts at Chase“ then, I get a message that says “sorry we encountered an error (it's not your fault)” but no error code.

3-I know Chase has a Direct Connection activation process where you need to authorize Quicken interaction and I confirmed that I have that set up properly with Chase.

4- I also tried setting up a new Quicken Qdata file and then setting up the Chase account like it never existed. I got the same result as in item # 2 above.

5-I called Chase support and after a 47 minute hold, they said that they can see that I successfully have pinged their server and confirmed the account is properly authorized. They stated that this is a Quicken issue as their system is working fine.

Anyone have an idea here?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    To set up the Online Services to use the Direct Connect connection method (after you have deactivated the Online Services of all the account associated with Chase or created a new Quicken file), select Tools > Add Account..., Advanced Options, and choose Direct Connect, and select Next.  After you have authenticated, Quicken should provide the list of the accounts it obtained and allow you to link them to the appropriate existing registers. 

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I did a test and Chase defaults to Direct Connect, so I don't think that is the problem (but it is still worth trying the way @Sherlock suggested).

What I would do is check the connection and OFX logs to see if there are any error messages if them.  They might give more insight on what is going on.
    Help -> Log Files -> Connection Log/OFX Log

BTW I also checked how Chase is doing the security and it is a one-time activation process.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Dave S
    Dave S Member ✭✭✭
    Sherlock, thanks but I'm not seeing the same screen. See attached of what I'm seeing.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Dave S said:
    Sherlock, thanks but I'm not seeing the same screen. See attached of what I'm seeing.
    That is because you did not follow the directions provided.  Again, after you have deactivated the Online Services of all the account associated with Chase or created a new Quicken file:
    1. select Tools > Add Account...
    2. select Advanced Options
    3. choose Direct Connect
    4. select Next
    After you have authenticated, Quicken should provide the list of the accounts it obtained and allow you to link them to the appropriate existing registers. 

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note as a test I purposely choose Express Web Connect, and after entering my username and password I got this screen.  If you get this screen, you are not following @Sherlock's directions and getting Express Web Connect instead of Direct Connect.

If you are getting a different/error dialog you should post that.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Dave S
    Dave S Member ✭✭✭
    SHERLOCK--So I followed your directions exactly. I get an error per attached.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Dave S said:
    SHERLOCK--So I followed your directions exactly. I get an error per attached.
    Was this with a new Quicken file?

This discussion has been closed.