How can I print a listing of the categories I use?

angus10cow
angus10cow Member
edited January 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I want/need to print a listing of the categories I use!!!

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    What I have done to get this:
    1. Open the Itemized Categories report.
    2. Customize it for an appropriate time period (I selected the last 5 years so I would be sure capture even very low usage categories which probably was overkill but you might want to consider at least the last 2-3 years), select all accounts, all categories, all payees and all tags.  Click OK to close the Customization.
    3. At the top left of the report, click on the Update to Show button and then select Category summary.
    The report should now show all categories and subcategories without all of the transaction details.
    Click on the Print button at the top right of the report.
    Does this get you what you are looking for?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Tools | Category List. Click the printer icon or press CTRL P on your keyboard. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    What I have done to get this:
    1. Open the Itemized Categories report.
    2. Customize it for an appropriate time period (I selected the last 5 years so I would be sure capture even very low usage categories which probably was overkill but you might want to consider at least the last 2-3 years), select all accounts, all categories, all payees and all tags.  Click OK to close the Customization.
    3. At the top left of the report, click on the Update to Show button and then select Category summary.
    The report should now show all categories and subcategories without all of the transaction details.
    Click on the Print button at the top right of the report.
    Does this get you what you are looking for?

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Tools | Category List. Click the printer icon or press CTRL P on your keyboard. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    @angus10cow - Yes, printing the Category List is another option but it will include all categories, whether they are used or not. 
    If you print out the Category List you might want to do the following so it shows only the categories that you use:
    • If your Category List does not show a "Usage" column, click on the upper right Gear icon and check the box for it.  The Usage column will show you how many transactions there are for each category.
    • You can then hide categories that have no usage by checking the box in the "Hide" column on the right.  This needs to be done one category at a time.
    • Once you have checked the boxes to hide the categories you do not use, make sure the "Show hidden categories" box at the bottom left of Category List is unchecked.
    After doing this then the printing of Category List will include only those categories that you use.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @angus10cow - Yes, printing the Category List is another option but it will include all categories, whether they are used or not. 
    If you print out the Category List you might want to do the following so it shows only the categories that you use:
    • If your Category List does not show a "Usage" column, click on the upper right Gear icon and check the box for it.  The Usage column will show you how many transactions there are for each category.
    • You can then hide categories that have no usage by checking the box in the "Hide" column on the right.  This needs to be done one category at a time.
    • Once you have checked the boxes to hide the categories you do not use, make sure the "Show hidden categories" box at the bottom left of Category List is unchecked.
    After doing this then the printing of Category List will include only those categories that you use.
    Why so complicated?
    The Category List view has a simple Filter selection. At the top of the view select from the options of the "Show [xxx]" filter.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited December 2021
    UKR said:
    Why so complicated?
    The Category List view has a simple Filter selection. At the top of the view select from the options of the "Show [xxx]" filter.

I had previously found that selecting Used only still included unused categories.  I just now checked again and sure enough there are unused categories still included in the list.  But what I noticed this time and had not noticed previously is that the unused categories were upper level categories which I don't use for categorizing but which have subcategories that I do use.  Example:  Bills category has no transactions usage but the subcategories of Electricity, Water, Garbage and Gas do.  My bad for not noticing that before.  Your suggestion is a much simpler way to get to what the Op wants.

This discussion has been closed.