Accounts Missing Dollar Signs

Quinn
Quinn Member ✭✭
A few of my accounts in Quicken are missing the dollar sign symbol in the account bar/list on the left. All of my other accounts show the currency symbol, which leads me to believe that it is not caused by a global setting, and is likely account specific. I am unable to find any way to turn on/off or select the currency symbol on a per-account basis, so I am not sure how to fix this issue. I have tried running the "Validate and Repair" tool, but it didn't seem to help. Note that I am NOT using multiple currencies...I only need one currency, it just isn't showing up for all accounts.
Tagged:

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you using the US or the Canadian version of Quicken? Which release (R xx.xx) and feature level (Starter, Deluxe, etc.)?
    Are the accounts missing the $ sign old accounts, created many years ago, perhaps even in a Quicken version prior to US 2004 or an international version? Or are they relatively new accounts?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The account bar only shows the currency sign on the "header" lines like Banking, Investing, ...  It doesn't show the currency sign on the individual accounts unless you are in multiple currency mode.

Non-multiple currency mode:

Multiple currency mode:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quinn
    Quinn Member ✭✭
    @UKR I am using the US version of Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property R37.25 Build 27.1.37.25 and the dollar signs are missing from some old accounts and some new ones. My file definitely dates back prior to 2004, but some of the non-conforming accounts were added in the last few years.

@Chris_QPW I am not sure what "multiple currency mode" is, but I definitely have dollar signs for almost all of my accounts...it is just a few that are missing them. I have never used another currency. Whether I have it on or off, the issue is that some accounts show it and others do not.

FYI, I tried uploading 3 images to this message but I can't see them in the editor or in the preview, so I am not sure if/where they will show up in the post. Is there a trick to adding them in-line like @Chris_QPW did?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quinn said:
    @Chris_QPW I am not sure what "multiple currency mode" is, but I definitely have dollar signs for almost all of my accounts...it is just a few that are missing them. I have never used another currency. Whether I have it on or off, the issue is that some accounts show it and others do not.

FYI, I tried uploading 3 images to this message but I can't see them in the editor or in the preview, so I am not sure if/where they will show up in the post. Is there a trick to adding them in-line like @Chris_QPW did?
    I was referring to this mode (when selected):

You aren't allowed to post inline images until you get a certain number of points in this forum.

I don't really know what is going on given your screenshots.  My data file goes back to 1992 and even and it looks like this (I don't use multiple currency mode):

Signature:
  • Quinn
    Quinn Member ✭✭
    Thanks @Chris_QPW, I checked and that setting is selected. I am not sure when/why that happened, but I don't need it...should I disable it? Just want to make sure I am not going to mess everything up if I do.
  • Quinn
    Quinn Member ✭✭
    I took a backup and tried disabling that setting, but it won't let me. It says that I need to delete all foreign accounts first...is there any way to tell which accounts are considered foreign?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quinn said:
    I took a backup and tried disabling that setting, but it won't let me. It says that I need to delete all foreign accounts first...is there any way to tell which accounts are considered foreign?

I think you are going to be stuck with what you have.

I ran into this in my test data file. In that test file I have used different currencies, but I had deleted all the foreign currency accounts and securities, but when I went to switch back out, I got the same message you did.

I deleted all the accounts and securities in the data file and even did Super Validate, and still it wouldn't let me change back.  I just did a test in another new data file and I was able to add a foreign account and delete it and switch back.  I did have a foreign security in the old test data file, so maybe no matter what the error message says once you have put a foreign security in even if you delete it, you can't go back. At least that is my guess.

I can't find anything other than the currency symbol that shows up on the account bar, that it is a foreign currency account.

For the securities it is in the security list:

Signature:
  • Quinn
    Quinn Member ✭✭
    Thanks for all of the help @Chris_QPW! That is very helpful (and also disappointing if anyone wants to ever change that setting). I confirmed that all of my securities (including hidden) are U.S. Dollar, and I don't think that I have ever had a foreign currency account.

Based on your screenshot I would think that even if those accounts had somehow been mistakenly set up with a foreign currency, then they would show the foreign currency symbol...but mine show no symbol at all. Does this mean that the issue may not be what we think it is?

It was my guess that it was some sort of file/account corruption issue, and I would recreate those accounts if it were easy to transfer the transactions into them from the non-conforming accounts, but most are filled with thousands of transfers that I don't think can be easily moved.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Corruption might be the problem.  I would run Validate and Repair just to be on the safe side.

The funny part of this is I'm not sure what is "the wrong" state.  In other words, with that setting on each account should have the currency sign on all the accounts.  On the other hand, it is perfectly correct not to have the currency sign if that option wasn't on.

Given that all the currencies are the same, it is really just cosmetic.

But if you want to try recreating the accounts it can be done using this method from the non-investment accounts.
    FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts? — Quicken

And for the investment accounts there is now a Move Transactions menu item in the gear icon menu in the upper right of the register.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.