Pmt/Dep Correction [Edited]

Accidently, a Deposit was entered as a payment. How do I move it to the right, from Payment to Deposit?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just enter the amount in the deposit field and save it.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you explain why you rejected @Boatnmaniac's answer? That is exactly how you fix an entry in a banking account register.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • The problem is that an amount went as a payment instead of a deposit
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited December 2021
    The problem is that an amount went as a payment instead of a deposit
    Would you please give us something more to work with?
    • Was this a manually entered transaction or a downloaded transaction?
    • Was it a transfer to this account from another?
    • If it was a transfer to this account from another account, did you enter the amount as a negative number or a positive number?  (If you entered it as a negative number in the sending account it will show up as a payment in the receiving account.)
    Regardless of your answers to these above questions, the fix is to do what I originally advised above.

If none of these questions are applicable to your situation, would you explain how the transaction was entered into the account?

• This was an automatic download by my bank from my personal account to my wife's savings account. Every month there is a $200 deposit (automatically)
    Negative number/positive number? I have no idea. Do you recommend that I ask the bank? If negative, then have the bank make the correction?
  • @John Cowperthwaite,

Given the information that you have provided, the transaction should show as a negative in your account and a positive in hers. Is this not how it is being downloaded from the bank? If not, please provide us with screenshots or any more information you can.

If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Quicken Alyssa

• Alyssa: Sorry for the delay, I am new to snipping
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited December 2021
    My comment about negative number/positive number is more of an issue with how you might have manually entered the transaction, not so much about how it shows in the account register.
    That being said, if you have your account register set up to show the Payment and Deposit columns, the amount being transferred from your checking account should show up there as a positive number in the Payment column and in your wife's savings account (assuming you have her savings account set up in your Quicken file, as well) as a positive number in the Deposit column.
    If, however, your registers are not set up to show the Payment and Deposit columns and instead show just the Amount column, then the amount would show up in your checking account as a negative number and in her savings account as a positive number.
    This is how they should be reflected in your accounts in Quicken regardless of whether they were downloaded from your bank or they were manually entered.

• I may have hit the send button ?? I am thoroughly confused and will turn to the Bank in the AM
  • Message for Alyssa: I was unable to send a snip. The 'how to' instructions were wholly inadequate for an amateur. :s
  • Boatnmaniac
    @John Cowperthwaite - Save the snip as a picture file on your desktop or anywhere on your hard drive that will be easy for you to remember where it is and to access.
    The click on that saved file and drag it here to the "Leave a Comment" field.  It will then show up here in this post thread.  Leave any additional comments and then click on "Post Comment".

• Hereis the Snip of what I am talking about
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you asking about the 8/27 $200 in the payment column?  Is the Category right?  Don't know why it entered it as a payment.  It might have auto filled from a prior one that was a payment.  Look back though the register for others.  

Why can't you change it?  How are you trying to change it?  You should be able just to click in the Deposit column and enter 200 then save it.  You can edit transactions anytime.  You probably need to change the Category too?  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• You have been more helpful than the entire rest of the crew. Thanks, problem solved.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just enter the amount in the deposit field and save it.

Gee...Boatmaniac gave you the answer immediately after you posted the question.  Too bad you didn't notice.  
This discussion has been closed.