Scheduled updates fail after Quicken software update

Every time that I allow a new Quicken software release, and subsequently restart Quicken without rebooting my desktop, I have to perform a "schedule Updates" again. The updates window is displayed and then I enter my vault password and get the usual confirmation. However, when it is time for the update to occur it always asks for the vault password AGAIN. And of course I am not there when this happens and so the update sits and waits - sometimes for days - for me to enter the password. Why does this happen if I have already entered the password when I schedule the updates?
Note that my desktop has not been rebooted during this process - If I reboot the desktop then I enter the password right as things are initializing and it works properly.

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Charlie@ said:
    If I reboot the desktop then I enter the password right as things are initializing and it works properly.
    Exactly.  Just as some Windows updates require a PC reboot, if you are using Schedule Updates, for the Password Vault to update the BAGENT.exe a reboot is required. This was less of an issue years ago when updates were infrequent. Now they appear at least monthly - a pain, but necessary.
  • Charlie@
    Charlie@ Member ✭✭✭
    Extremely annoying to have to reboot when I am in the middle of working. Just another reason to not install the updates timely.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see why this is an issue. You do not need to reboot immediately. After an update, I reboot my PC sometime at the end of the day when my workflow is not impacted.
  • Charlie@
    Charlie@ Member ✭✭✭
    Of course you don't. But rebooting IS an issue for most people. Anytime I am forced to reboot my entire system just to restore some app functionality, then it is extremely disruptive. Even if it is performed "after hours" that means I will have to spend quite a bit of time to restore everything to the way it was before the intrusive reboot. And again, I would have to be there for the reboot just so I can enter the vault password! It's bad enough that I am forced to reboot for Windows updates let alone just for one app that I should be able to restart to restore functionality. Also I don't see why Bagent has to be impacted for updates that do not affect it - it probably hasn't had any changes in a long time.
  • JohnFM
    JohnFM Member
    I don't have this reboot issue, however, when I do update Quicken I have to go back in and go through the steps to schedule updates (existing setting show). Then the next day (next scheduled update after this) I get the password prompt (have set to ask at Windows startup). These 2 steps are a pain especially since I have to close each of my open widows separately until I get to the window for the Quicken password.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JohnFM said:
    Then the next day (next scheduled update after this) I get the password prompt (have set to ask at Windows startup). 
    You do not indicate that you have rebooted your PC. This setting will not take effect until the PC is rebooted. After an update, I reboot later in the day. I am prompted to logon to Quicken at startup and the Schedule Updates works as intended. This window prompt does not retain focus and if you have an app launched full screen, you may miss this window in the background.
  • BennyBB
    BennyBB Member
    The update always fails. It downloads, attempts to install, and then a "fail to install" message is displayed.