Unable to use Quicken for Windows

Jimmy Hurst
Jimmy Hurst Member ✭✭
I'm having problems getting into Quicken for Windows. When I open the program I get a password prompt window that seems to be asking for a password but the window is blank so I can't enter anything. I talked to Tech Support and they mentioned it may be related to internet problems that Quicken.com and the Quicken program. There was also a recent post from one of Quicken's reps that mentioned that the internet problems seem to have cleared up and the Quicken program should be working normally. What I'm seeing says otherwise. Any ideas?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reboot Windows and try again.

Have you recently enabled a VPN?
    If so, this might be the problem. Try turning the VPN off and see if that helps.

Is there a corporate or otherwise external firewall getting in the way? Contact the IT people maintaining the firewall and ask for permission.
    Does your Antivirus software allow Quicken to connect to the Internet?
    Quicken needs to be able to establish outbound Internet connections for the program to work.

Check if Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access

• mpbundy
    mpbundy Member ✭✭
    I am also having issues with Quicken this morning. The program took an extremely long time to open, and when it finally did I also was presented with the Quicken log-in screen. Until today the program has been working fine, I am not on a VPN, and am able to use all other internet=based activities without issues. I strongly suspect the issue is on the Quicken server side.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a brief time period earlier this morning where there were reported internet outages which have since been resolved.
    If you haven't already, reboot Windows and try Quicken again.
  • Jimmy Hurst
    Jimmy Hurst Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > Reboot Windows and try again.Have you recently
    > enabled a VPN?
    >
    > If so, this might be the problem. Try turning the VPN off and see if that
    > helps.
    >
    > Is there a corporate
    > or otherwise external firewall getting in the way? Contact the IT people
    > maintaining the firewall and ask for permission.
    >
    > Does your Antivirus software allow Quicken to connect to the
    > Internet?
    >
    > Quicken needs to be able to establish outbound Internet connections for the
    > program to work.
    >
    > Check if Windows
    > Defender Controlled Folder Access feature Ransomware protection is
    > enabled.
    >
    > If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without
    > turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access

Just reinstalled the Quicken program working with Quicken Tech Support on the phone. After creating a test file I opened my Quicken file that I worked with yesterday and it opened successfully and I'm not getting the blank password prompt window. Thanks for the response.
  • Jimmy Hurst
    Jimmy Hurst Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > Reboot Windows and try again.Have you recently
    > enabled a VPN?
    >
    > If so, this might be the problem. Try turning the VPN off and see if that
    > helps.
    >
    > Is there a corporate
    > or otherwise external firewall getting in the way? Contact the IT people
    > maintaining the firewall and ask for permission.
    >
    > Does your Antivirus software allow Quicken to connect to the
    > Internet?
    >
    > Quicken needs to be able to establish outbound Internet connections for the
    > program to work.
    >
    > Check if Windows
    > Defender Controlled Folder Access feature Ransomware protection is
    > enabled.
    >
    > If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without
    > turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access

The Quicken Tech Support rep that I talked with on the phone also mentioned that my problem could be related to the Internet problems that Quicken was having on their Quicken.com site and the Quicken program itself.
This discussion has been closed.