Schwab CC-501 Loop

System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Copy of Letter from Quicken CEO 12-3-2021 (Schwab Issue and etc.).

Comments

• gcorvin
    gcorvin Member ✭✭
    Got the letter. And in the meantime after doing EVERYTHING that has been recommended I still can't get past the CC-501 loop (i.e. can't sign into my Schwab accounts at all). I've chaired the board of a large insurance company before, and this was a bad move - that letter is only going to inflame the situation further by stating that the problems have now been resolved for everyone (which simply isn't the case).
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @gcorvin

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the community, although I'm sorry to hear that the CC-501 error is persisting for you.

I took the liberty of reviewing your internal account information and see that your Quicken version is showing as R37.25.

Additional fixed for this issue are included in the R37.37 release, which is currently going out to users in a staged release format and has been paused.

Please download and install the Mondo Patch for R37.37 from here and then attempt to authorize the Schwab accounts by going to the Tools menu > Add Account option.

Do you still receive the CC-501 error?  A different error?  Or are the accounts able to be authorized and connected?

Please let me know, thank you.

Sarah
  • gcorvin
    gcorvin Member ✭✭
    Didn't know that. I'll try the mondo patch (I just figured by checking for updates within program that would make sure I was updated). THANK YOU!!
  • Rob
    Rob Member ✭✭
    I downloaded and installed the mondo patch mentioned above and I am still receiving the cc-501 error when trying to add my additional Schwab accounts. I do have some working but it will not let me add the additional accounts that are tied to different usernames.
  • shardey
    shardey Member
    I have the same issue with 501 recurring error trying to add Schwab accounts. 20+ year Quicken user and never seen anything this bad. I'm now on R37.37 which I had to install after creating a new Windows Admin user to install the mondo patch, but that did not fix the 501 error. Did the sign in as different user trick (resign back in) and that did not work. Made sure all Schwab accounts not activated and removed the financial name from all accounts. I have spent hours on rectifying this issue following numerous updates and suggestion over the past few weeks. I'm highly competent in technology and can't imagine 50% of Quicken's subscribers could follow all of these suggestions and action them. Someone at Quicken needs to get their hands around this issue quickly. speak plainly, and tell users how to correct this issue or when to expect a fix.
  • nerdindenial
    nerdindenial Member ✭✭✭
    Rob you need to coordinate several things on both your PC and at the Schwab website. I didn't have to do the things that shardey did (yet):
    1. Make sure the accounts are enabled for Quicken download on the Schwab website at Profile->Security Center->Quicken. For a given set of credentials, only enable downloading the exact accounts desired to download. This is only a problem when you have power of attorney over some other user's accounts and can see them from your account. Quicken tends to lockup or fail silently when you try to download the same accounts from different credentials.
    2. Make sure two different sets of credentials are not trying to download the same accounts. For instance, my wife and I each use unique credentials to download our respective IRA accounts only. Then we use the credentials for our remaining joint account to download only the remaining joint accounts.
    This way we don't have two different sets of credentials trying to download the same thing, which Quicken does not like.
    This gets tricky when one Schwab user has power of attorney over the other user's accounts, or you have an intelligent portfolio account which uses the same credentials as your main Schwab account.
    Finally, once you have all of the above fixed, you may need to "reset" some or all of the accounts to be able to properly add them back in.

So when all the accounts are fixed and you do a one-step update you might see this (# means my comment):
    Charles Schwab and Co., Inc. (XXXXXXX123) # Wife's IRA
    Charles Schwab and Co., Inc. (XXXXXXX456,XXXXXXX372) # Joint account & Intelligent Portfolio
    Charles Schwab and Co., Inc. (XXXXXXX789) # My IRA
    Charles Schwab and Co., Inc. (XXXXXXX012,XXXXXXX483) # Son's account & Intelligent Portfolio)

Note: this seems to be working, but not that many transactions have downloaded lately.
    It all gets very confusing because the credentials for line 2 can also see the accounts in lines 1 and 3.
    Line 2 accounts tend to stall for 2 minutes on a one-step update without an update being listed in the account list.
    But if one of the line two accounts is downloaded separately, they claim to download/update successfully in about 15 seconds - still I don't recall seeing any transactions being actually downloaded. I am waiting for a new Quicken release before investigating further.

Note that Quicken logs are in %appdata%\Quicken\Log\
  • shardey
    shardey Member
    I agree with nerdindenial. We need another fix that resolves these lingering Schwab issues rather than continuing to attempt to resolve ourselves which is not working. I have the same scenario with multiple accounts with my spouse but we had it all coordinated previously per your note. In my prior note, I failed to mention that I also tried "resetting my cloud data" under Edit -> Preferences -> Mobile & Web. This was another recommendation that had no impact on resolving the 501 error when attempting to reactivate my Schwab accounts.
  • shardey
    shardey Member
    I was able to reach Quicken support (Andre) and go through a long process (about an hour or so) on the phone and sharing my screen to rectify my CC-501 error when trying to reauthorize our multiple Schwab accounts. He was very good and we got it to work. I had tried many of the things we did but there were a few others but I do not think all are always required to getting it working. I recommend calling Quicken support if still getting this issue so they can troubleshoot and walk through it. Various things we did were:
    - sent him a report a problem report with log files
    - backup my file for good measure
    - validate my file
    - ensure I had deactivated Schwab everywhere and removed fin. inst. ( I had)
    first attempt to try again still had the 501 error so...
    - did some sort of rebranding command with Schwab which I do think mattered and some work within the Online Center [I was following direction so do not have all of this recorded and it may differ by user]
    - removed 2 other Quicken files I do not use much so that my primary file was only 1 in play but those others had no Schwab connections so unsure if that did anything
    - did the reset cloud data action and sign in as a different user to log back in both under Preferences
    - restarted Quicken
    - was then able to Add/Link Schwab accounts
    All good now! Whew!
  • gsundel
    gsundel Member ✭✭
    it's been frustrating, but finally this worked for me today (which i've tried before). Was upgraded to 37.37 already.
    signed out of my quicken ID (Under Edit>Preferences> Quicken ID & Cloud.
    had to fight it a little to let me sign back in (Quicken kept crashing while trying to open my data file). So I opened another data file (or created a new one would work) and signed in.
    Then opened my data file.
    I'd already disassociated my Schwab accounts so I just went into the Add new Accounts and added Schwab and Company.
    Gave me the "need to log into schwab" and some disclaimers. But this time it let me select which accounts I wanted to allow. [my wife and my accounts have different userids so had to do this twice).
    But it connected each of the accounts (had to do it 2x changing the userid/password i put in).
    Will say the Linked Cash Accounts worked fine without changing anything (thankfully so that 20 years of cash transactions didn't end up in the brokerage account)
  • nerdindenial
    nerdindenial Member ✭✭✭
    @gsundel Interesting! Please elaborate:
    (1) Can you add new account while that account is already in your data file?
    (2) Does Quicken let you associate the new account with the existing account data in your data file?
    (3) Do you get hundreds of duplicate transactions downloaded?
    (4) Did you have any joint accounts where either user also had a single-owner account as well?
    Thanks!
  • gsundel
    gsundel Member ✭✭
    @nerdindenial - love the userid - So here's the long winded answer to your questions:

(1) Can you add new account while that account is already in your data file? - [Yes, i had these accounts in the data file already - it worked as usual where it showed the accounts in Schwab and have the option to Link to and account in datafile, ignore, or add new account]

(2) Does Quicken let you associate the new account with the existing account data in your data file? [yes, see above. the add new account flow, really just gets you to the log into schwab screen - where you need a userid/password that has access to the accounts it will show you are available from schwab]

(3) Do you get hundreds of duplicate transactions downloaded? [fortunately, I got no duplicate transactions - i did get the new transactions - so was pretty amazed with that. I will say i got some reinvested dividend transactions that seemed to be a dividend income and a BUY transaction - so 2 transactions instead of BUYX (one transaction). But I think that is probably something else in the integration and nothing to do with the login. I will also add that if you get 100s of transactions downloaded, there is some key sequence you can hit in the register that will sort transactions by some internal record entered number. So you can en mass delete lots of the duplicates as they are recently added and not intermixed. I had to do this in the past with some other issue with Quicken that downloaded lots of dups.

(4) Did you have any joint accounts where either user also had a single-owner account as well? I had my wife's userid that had a sole owned account and her IRA and access to my IRA. and a second account which had my IRA and access to her IRA. I have limited power of attorney on her account on file. Since I spent 30 min on phone with Schwab this afternoon to make sure the accounts from their perpective were listed for the userids - they tell me the limited power of attorney accounts don't show up under the LPOA accounts - so basically they said I'd have access to her accounts under her userid and mine under mine (POA didn't matter). so that's why i had to go through the add account twice in Quicken, once typing in her userid/password and once with mine - it showed me the accounts that were "owned" by that userid and not the LPOA ones.

basically the loggin out and back into the quicken ID seems to allow the Schwab "reauthorization" logic to kick in. You have to sign into Schwab (via quicken screens) and then authorize that you can use quicken to retrieve your transactions, then it shows you accounts that are available to that userid in Schwab for you to check (I checked all the existing ones and also the box that says allow all future accounts too) - then the normal quicken association of bank accounts to quicken accounts (link, ignore, add)

Make a backup of your file before you sign out of the Quicken ID. For some reason that sign back in didn't work seamlessly for me - it opened the file and crashed. I essentially opened a Test data file which allowed me to sign back into the QuickenID - then i was able to open the data file with all my transactions - i'm hoping that's just a quirk of my data file which is 20 years old and gone through many conversions of Quicken - but better to make sure you have the back of the data file with the quickenID logged in - then if you have to, you just open that file. And remember, you do need the .37 version of Quicken.

Good luck.
  • nerdindenial
    nerdindenial Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks! I'll try it.
  • nerdindenial
    nerdindenial Member ✭✭✭
    @gsundel You win the Internet - thank you!!!!! My complex Schwab setup (6 accounts/3 users/1 LPOA) is fixed (for now). LPOA == "Limited Power of Attorney" OSU == One Step Update (all accounts)
    Of course you must first login to your Schwab accounts' security center on the Web for each user and grant access to Quicken for each specific account. For Joint Users, only have one of them download the joint accounts. LPOA accounts will need to be downloaded by their actual owner's credentials (because that's the only way Quicken can see them).
    I followed your method above exactly:
    (1) Deactivated all Schwab accounts from the Quicken account list "Online" tab
    (2) Created a new data file with just an empty fake checking account in it (no online updates)
    (3) Signed out of my Quicken ID (Under Edit>Preferences> Quicken ID & Cloud). Really clicked on the link there that said "Login as a different user" and logged in as me again. Closed and re-opened Quicken. Re-opened my original data file.
    (4) Went into the Add new Accounts and added Schwab and Company and logged in as the "power user" with 3 accounts, including Intelligent Portfolio Account and LPOA control (but the LPOA account is not visible because it belongs to a different user). Checked the boxes for all the accounts and they were AUTOMATICALLY pre-matched to the existing Schwab accounts. Changed my Schwab password where prompted. Downloaded over 5000 days of transactions but actually no new or duplicate transactions showed up at all. I had already updated several times in the last few days and also manually entered the few missing transactions in the Schwab Intelligent Portfolio account.
    (5) Repeated step 4 for the second set of user credentials (2 accounts, but nothing Joint or LPOA).
    (6) Repeated step 4 for the joint user credentials that had the account that I have LPOA over. In this case I only checked the box for the LPOA account, because the other accounts that this joint user has access to have already been downloaded in step 4 by the "power user".
    @Quicken Sarah I hope this information is helpful
  • synchro9898
    synchro9898 Member ✭✭
    Hi, @gsundel and @nerdindenial, I want to check whether you Schwab Security Center Screen is like the attached. Or the one in my next comment?
  • synchro9898
    synchro9898 Member ✭✭
    @gsundel and @nerdindenial,

The attached is what Quicken in one of their announcement demonstrated. You can see there is a sub-section that allows you to specify specific account to enable Quicken access or not. Mine doesn't show specific accounts, just what you see in my previous comment's attachment.
  • synchro9898
    synchro9898 Member ✭✭
    @gsundel @nerdindenial

My problem has been that when I went through the steps you specified, specifically when I opened a new dummy file and tried to Add Account, Schwab does not show any accounts of mine to add.

I also resides overseas and use a VPN. I wonder if that has something to do my issues.
  • nerdindenial
    nerdindenial Member ✭✭✭
    @synchro9898 The Schwab screen is like your second one for me, it shows a separate radio button selection for Quicken and allows you to select which accounts will be enabled for Quicken downloads. It does not mention TurboTax. This is all on the Schwab website, not in the Quicken program.

When I "Add Account" it already knows what online account to connect to what existing account in my old non-dummy data file. If you try to manually look through the list and match the name you won't find it because they have automatically matched it already (usually).

Maybe you have to call Schwab and ask them to enable Quicken access at all?
  • synchro9898
    synchro9898 Member ✭✭
    @nerdindenial This seems be the key...for some reason I don't have a separate Quicken-only section. I contacted Schwab once already, and they have no idea what I am talking about. They insist they only have the "Quicken and TurboTax" section, and no separate "Quicken"-only section like in the second screenshot. It is a mystery to me.
  • gsundel
    gsundel Member ✭✭
    edited December 2021
    @synchro9898 - my screen in Schwab looks like yours. Not like the [removed - profanity] from quicken help that showed my accounts. When I called Schwab the person admitted he’d seen it both ways and said it wouldn’t be a problem ( and in the end was right as that security center screen still doesn’t have the second section). He said as long as I had a userid that allowed me to view the Schwab accounts on their website (not through quicken) I was enabled.
  • gsundel
    gsundel Member ✭✭
    @synchro9898 @nerdindenial - for clarity - I didn’t try to add Schwab accounts in my dummy file. I forced entry it my quicken I’d in the dummy after I’d logged out and then opened my original data file and then tried adding a new Schwab account to the old file.

Are you getting to where quicken asks you for schwab userid and password? That’s when it started the reauthorization process and asked for permission to use quicken to access schwab and showed me my scwab accounts with access under the I’d I was using
  • synchro9898
    synchro9898 Member ✭✭
    @gsundel
    That’s good to know. I guess this means my theory/hypothesis may not be correct. When I use Add Account in a dummy file, I was prompted for my Schwab user id and password, which I was able to successfully get through. Then it asked me to check and click to consent to my data being accessed. But when I get to the screen where a list of my accounts are supposed to be available for me to toggle for access or not, it is blank. It should have shown 2 accounts, but all it has is the check-box for Allowing acccess to New Accounts. And at that point I am stuck in an endless CC-501 loop hell.

Back to square one. And I still have no idea why it works for others and not me.

Michael

> @gsundel said:
    > @synchro9898 @nerdindenial - for clarity - I didn’t try to add Schwab accounts in my dummy file. I forced entry it my quicken I’d in the dummy after I’d logged out and then opened my original data file and then tried adding a new Schwab account to the old file.
    >
    > Are you getting to where quicken asks you for schwab userid and password? That’s when it started the reauthorization process and asked for permission to use quicken to access schwab and showed me my scwab accounts with access under the I’d I was using
  • synchro9898
    synchro9898 Member ✭✭
    This screenshot may give you a better idea what I am talking about:
  • synchro9898
    synchro9898 Member ✭✭
    @gsundel

I am then stuck at the screenshot attached:
  • gsundel
    gsundel Member ✭✭
    @synchro9898 yes that is the screen I got to, but had accounts listed.

I would definitely check the one box there - for all new accounts and see if it gets any farther.

Are you sure the userid you gave it is the “owner” of the Schwab account - not a secondary read userid and not limited power of attorney? I had to use my wife’s Schwab web ID to get her accounts to show up.

That might be a conversation with Schwab help to see what accounts the userid you are using is owner of
  • fp
    fp Member ✭✭✭
    Tech support yesterday told me to erase account numbers AND Fin Inst name in Account list ( The Quicken fix page does not mention account numbers) 
    I was able to fix only one account downloading; the others linked but would not download transactions
    I undid everything and tried again but still got CC-501 error.

Following your suggestions, I added "allow Quicken access" at Schwab ( I had dome this before, and clearly Quicken had access or I would not have been able to download even one account!)

And logged out and logged back into Quicken.

IT works! Although there are a couple of odd transactions.

Will see if it works tomorrow.

None of this increases or even resolves my concerns about Quicken security

I am thinking I will turn on "allow Quicken Access" at SChwab only when I want to download transactions

Interesting Quicken says they are rolling this process out for Morgan Stanley

• gsundel
    gsundel Member ✭✭
    the odd transactions i've spotted is that rather than going a Reinvest transactions, i seem to be getting an income transaction from Schwab and a separate Buy transaction (so two transactions where I used to get 1). I can live with that.
  • fp
    fp Member ✭✭✭
    Now when I try to update all my non-Schwab accounts error OL 362-A.  Financial institution has tried to update account not in Quicken.

What in hell is going on ?
  • Reinder
    Reinder Member ✭✭
    > @synchro9898 said:
    > @gsundel @nerdindenial
    >
    > My problem has been that when I went through the steps you specified, specifically when I opened a new dummy file and tried to Add Account, Schwab does not show any accounts of mine to add.
    >
    > I also resides overseas and use a VPN. I wonder if that has something to do my issues.
  • Reinder
    Reinder Member ✭✭
    After tons of issues with the update for Schwab, updated the login credentials etc, Nothing downloaded. I tried just ‘changing user’ in ‘edit/preferences/quicken is’ and logged myself in again. Downloads started working. Account deactivation was not necessary. Deactivation didn’t work anyway.
  • @Reinder -- Hats off to you sir! 36.54 stopped downloaded my Schwab transactions. Tried it several times this evening -- nada. Did just what you did -- signed out in 'edit/preferences/quicken id'. It closed the data file. Signed back in using the same Quicken ID, reopened the data file. Voila -- transactions were downloading again. Two Schwab accounts are off by a little, which I have to follow up on tomorrow, but my main Schwab account is back in sync. Good thing, because this was the day some funds went ex-dividend, so there were big price drops in the quote update, but no corresponding account value increase from the dividends. I'll sleep better as a result. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.