Help with Venmo

Options
Perry Smith
Perry Smith Member ✭✭✭
I added an update to this thread: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7720798/importing-csv

I started using Venmo to supply money to my son late 2020. I then discovered that it has the ability to download history, etc so I spent time figuring out how to get all of it into Quicken. The Mint.csv method works although it isn't simple but at least there is a path.

But that's not my question today: my question today is with the Venmo automatic download connection. It seems each time it asks for my phone number and sends me a text message to confirm it is me. Has anyone figured out a way to tell Venmo to trust Quicken's queries?

Answers

• Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Hello, @Perry Smith

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community with your question, though I apologize for any trouble this has caused you. 

Unfortunately, certain financial institutions do require a Multi-Factor Authentication when data is being accessed through Quicken. Because these requests come from and are managed directly by the financial institution, Quicken has no control over these requests. If there is a way to do this, it would be from the financial institution's end and I would advise that you reach out to them directly to find out. Also, when you find out, please consider sharing it here as well so that it might help out others with the same question.  :)

If you have any further questions, please reach out to us so that we may further assist you! Thank you!

-Quicken September

• Perry Smith
    Perry Smith Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I reached out to Venmo and had an email conversation with Casey at Venmo. He cited security as the reason they are doing what they are doing. I agree and see his point but the parent company, PayPal, is just as vulnerable and is able to make the connection. In any case, I asked him to pass my concerns up the chain of command. I never actually got a commitment that he would. I also asked that Venmo add the ability to download QFX files. I've made this same request to PayPal. They still offer QIF files which don't work anymore with modern Quicken.

On a separate thought: is there a way to toggle off Venmo's update with a single checkbox? And then I could toggle it on once a month. As far as I know, I would have to disable the downloads and then go through the process of re-adding the credentials.
  • Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi, @Perry Smith

Thank you for taking the time to update us here in the Community. I am sorry for any headache this issue has caused you.

I hope that they do pass it along - Offering QFX downloads would be very helpful for a lot of people. Unfortunately, there is no way to toggle off a specific account from downloading except to disconnect it from the financial institution and reconnect it at a later date. We do have a feature to download only selected accounts which you could use to update all of your accounts other than Venmo. You may access this by navigating to Accounts > Update Selected Online Account. You also may simply decline to do the MFA by pressing Cancel or by closing out of the MFA window. This may result in a download error from Venmo, however, it should not affect your other institutions - and then when you do put in the MFA upon updating at a later date, it should resolve the issue.

I hope this is helpful! If you have any other questions or require further assistance, please reach back out as we are always happy to help. Thank you!

-Quicken September
  • Perry Smith
    Perry Smith Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I think I'm going to just disconnect it and enter things by hand. The straw that broke the camel's back is Venmo doesn't even put the right things in the right place. It puts the Notes as the Payee, etc. Boo... Hiss!!!
This discussion has been closed.