Can't download transactions - Tangerine.ca bank

I can't download Tangerine.ca bank transactions to my Quicken Starter.
I use Windows 10 Enterprise

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of account(s) are you trying to download?
    Was your account set up before and were you able to download before or are you trying to set up the account(s) for download?
    Are you getting any error codes or error messages?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Thank you for your assistance. From day one from setting up the account in Quicken, I was able to download. Only recently, effective mid Nov 2021, I can download. I contacted tangerine and they said, "can't help". I added pop-ups for Tangerine bank in Google account, still no luck.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Have you been getting any error codes or error messages?
    Have you tried to Reset Account (from the Online Services tab of Account Details)?
    Have you tried to Deactivate/Set Up Now (from the Online Services tab of Account Details)?

• No error code on Tangerine's website. I will try your recommendation
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Glenn Fabello said: I can't download Tangerine.ca bank transactions to my Quicken Starter.

What do you mean ?
    1 - was this setup in Quicken and working - and now it is not ?
    2 - if not working - what happens.... Quicken messages, errors, etc
    3 - what kind of accounts... checking, savings, credit card, investments ?
    10951    10951    10951    Tangerine   
    https://www.tangerine.ca/en/    1-800-464-3473   
    https://www.tangerine.ca/app/    ACTIVE                  
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT  

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Boatnmaniac
    No error code on Tangerine's website.  I will try your recommendation
    The error code/message I asked about regards Quicken, not Tangerine's website.
    Let us know if you were successful trying my suggestions.
    If not successful, please be sure to provide the other information requested by @Ps56k2 .  The more information you provide regarding how you use Quicken and what you are experiencing with Tangerine the more likely it is that we or someone else might be able to assist you.

• On Tangerine's banking website, i can't select the drop down menu to find my credit card account in order to download the transaction.
    i have no Reset Account button (from the Online Services tab of Account Details) and i have no Deactivate/Set Up Now (from the Online Services tab of Account Details). i wish i could attach a photo i took of my screen to show you the details.
  • Boatnmaniac
    On Tangerine's banking website, i can't select the drop down menu to find my credit card account in order to download the transaction.
    i have no Reset Account button (from the Online Services tab of Account Details) and i have no Deactivate/Set Up Now (from the Online Services tab of Account Details). i wish i could attach a photo i took of my screen to show you the details.
    So you are trying to download from your online Tangerine account instead of from within Quicken?  Reset and Deactivate/Set Up Now are only visible on the Online Services tab of Account Details when an account is set up in Quicken for downloading.  Since they are not visible it means you do not have Tangerine set up for downloading from within Quicken.
    Downloading from the online account is called Web Connect.  As noted by @Ps56k2 above, Tangerine supports Quicken with Express Web Connect...note that Web Connect is not listed.:
    10951    10951    10951    Tangerine   
    https://www.tangerine.ca/en/    1-800-464-3473   
    https://www.tangerine.ca/app/    ACTIVE                  
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT
    Since Web Connect is not listed it means that Tangerine does not support Web Connect.  Since Web Connect is not supported, you will not be able to download from your online account directly into Quicken.
    If you were able to download from your online account before and cannot do that now it means that Tangerine dropped support for Web Connect. 
    If I am understanding your situation correctly, I see you have two options:
    1)  Set up your Tangerine account in Quicken for downloading via Express Web Connect. 
    • You can do this via Add Account or from the Online Services tab of Account Details by clicking on Set Up Now and follow the prompts. 
    • Before doing this, make sure you do not have any Financial Institution information shown in the upper right quadrant of the General Tab of Account Details. 
    • When Quicken downloads the data you may be prompted to decide what to do with the downloaded data...be sure to link it to your current account in Quicken or it might create a new account. 
    • Also, if Quicken enters some transactions into your account register that are duplicates of what is already listed there, those duplicates will need to be manually deleted.  Duplications should not happen again in the future.
    2) Or you can manually manage your Tangerine account in Quicken.
    Questions?  Comments?

• Thank you for the recommendations. After all the attempts, i will contact Tangerine and determine if they have cancelled WebConnect. i could save the current transactions, delete the account then re-install, carry over the current transactions and conduct a recent bank transaction download.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glenn Fabello said: After all the attempts, i will contact Tangerine and determine if they have cancelled WebConnect.
    WHY - are you NOT using the Quicken built-in downloading called One Step Update -
    It works from within Quicken and downloads transactions from your banking institution....
    The manual Web Connect download from the bank website process
    seems like the less fun way to go.... even if it was offered...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• I am using the one step update but something is not working with tangerine account and I can't figure it out. I have the recent update from quicken, so I'm lost for words.
  • Boatnmaniac
    @Glenn Fabello - I get the feeling we are talking around each other in circles.  So, I will try another approach.
    When you go to the Online Services tab of Account Details, which of these pictures do you see?  The first one or the second one?

• this is what i see on my screen
  • Boatnmaniac
    OK, that looks weird.  It looks like you had it set up for Web Connect which per the US version is not supported by Tangerine.   But you are using the Canada version, right? 
    Also there are no action buttons shown for the connection which I do not recall seeing before.
    So, let's try a little experiment:  Go to File > New Quicken File.
    • Name the file whatever you want to.  Just make sure it is unique and not the same name as your current main data file.  Many people name the file TEST.
    • During the file set up process, do not select Mobile & Web.
    • After the file is created you should be prompted to Add an account.  Try setting up your Tangerine account and enter your login information when prompted.
    Did the account set up properly?

• Unfortunately, it didn't work.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Well that means it is not a data corruption issue in your main file. 
    But there might still be another  issue in the main file.  Have you tried File > Validate & Repair File on your main data file?  While it is mainly for fixing data corruption issues it can also fix some other issues.
    If after Validate & Repair the problem still exists you might want to try Super Validate & Repair:  First hold down the CTRL+SHIFT keys, and then choose File menu > File Operations > Validate and Repair.

• I will give this a try. I thank you for your persistence.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok … just to clarify …
    what version are you running ….
     US or Canada 
    also what release … Help —> About Quicken 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Version R33.7 Build 27.1.33.7 Edition Canada. Windows 10 Enterprise
  • grobee
    grobee Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Im having the same problem... it happened two weeks ago and then today. ITs something with tangerine and when I call they do the usual lame troubleshooting (which I had done before calling).  The only solution is that their support team will get back to me in 10 business days.  

The issue is something with their site since I try and download transactions like above and it doesn't work, and when I do it on the site, it doesn't work.  Im on windows 11.  All I can suggest is to call tangerine and log a ticket.  They will ask you to try in a different browser, then in private mode.   All that is not the issue as I can recreate the problem in three different browsers in private and in normal browsing.  So something is confilicting with only their website.   Good luck and if you find a fix, Id be happy to hear about it
  • Thank you for the feedback. I did contact Tangerine and they stated, 'there is nothing they can do'. I will contact again and get this matter escalated.
  • grobee
    grobee Unconfirmed ✭✭
    I have called twice and they have escalated the issue.  I told them that this is not a user issue since I can recreate the problem on multiple laptops and my phone and it is intermittent.  I cleared the cookies and the cache as well as tried it with Edge, safari, opera and chrome.  The front level support person did not have a clue what to do to help and so he escalated it to the web support.  Then he told me it would be 5-10 business days to which I told him that is unacceptable.  I then wrote a scathing review in the call follow up and then called again today.  ITs an issue with their web coding because today I can select an account but cannot go any further with dates or format.  If you call again, you can say that other users have called with the same issue and that you have tried to fix the issue yourself.  This has been happening over the past month and then it stopped, so I thought it was a browser issue.  Its now started again so if its happening in multiple browsers and on multiple os platforms (Win 10, win 11 and IOS - then you have an issue with your website....  

They will try and make you think its a user issue and that is why I asked to escalate it to the technical team through a supervisor.  Anyone reading this  - hopefully there is more than just two of us... should push.  I will have to find a new bank if this cannot get fixed.  But this is not a quicken issue

• Thank you for the additional feedback. I will reach out to Tangerine and escalate the matter.
  • grobee
    grobee Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Here is the solution..  Not sure why their CS agents don not know this

Reply from Team Tangerine

We appreciate your feedback very much and will be sure to share your comments with the right team for review and future consideration.

As a temporary work around, please try and select the Account for which you would like to download transactions from the Overview page, scroll down past the transaction breakdown circle and select "Download Transactions".

Just to be sure, I did go there and this does work

Take care!

• Boatnmaniac
    grobee said:
    Here is the solution..  Not sure why their CS agents don not know this

Reply from Team Tangerine

We appreciate your feedback very much and will be sure to share your comments with the right team for review and future consideration.

As a temporary work around, please try and select the Account for which you would like to download transactions from the Overview page, scroll down past the transaction breakdown circle and select "Download Transactions".

Just to be sure I did go there and this does work

Take care!

This is called the Web Connect connection method (manually download and import the QFX or "Quicken" file).
    Since you were successful downloading and importing via this method, does the Online Services tab of Account Details or the Account List show there is an improved connection method available?  If so, you might want to back up your data file and then click on that link and follow the prompts.  Normally that will set up the connection method that will allow you to download and import from within Quicken so you would no longer need to it via Web Connect in the future.  If it does work make sure the download is linked to your current account in Quicken and if there are any duplicate transactions entered into the register to manually delete them.

• My challenges are: 1. From the Account Information selection, I can't select my account to download in the scroll down menu. 2. From the Download Formats, I can't select Quicken. Since I can't do number 1, I'm at a stand still. Tangerine needs to rectify their problem.
  • Boatnmaniac
    My challenges are: 1. From the Account Information selection, I can't select my account to download in the scroll down menu. 2. From the Download Formats, I can't select Quicken. Since I can't do number 1, I'm at a stand still. Tangerine needs to rectify their problem.
    So earlier you were able to manually download transactions from your online account but now you cannot?

• I don't know how to manually download the transactions. I have always followed steps 1 and 2, stated above to download which is no longer available.
  • Boatnmaniac
    I don't know how to manually download the transactions. I have always followed steps 1 and 2, stated above to download which is no longer available.
    Ah, sorry.  When I read your last post I was thinking you were @grobee who had posted yesterday that manually downloading the transactions (called Web Connect) does work...see the Dec 19 post above.
    Web Connect is simple.  I suggest you back up your data file before proceeding.:
    • "...select the Account for which you would like to download transactions from the Overview page, scroll down past the transaction breakdown circle and select "Download Transactions"."  If you have multiple formats to select from, be sure to select the QFX (or "Quicken") format.
    • When the file is downloaded Windows should prompt you to either Save the file (save it to a location where you can easily remember how to access it, like your desktop) or to use Quicken to open it.
    • If you saved the file, go to where it was saved and double click on it or open it with Quicken.
    • When Quicken opens it you will likely be prompted to decide whether to add a new account in Quicken or to link it to your existing account in Quicken....be sure to link it to your existing account.
    • During this process, some transactions might be entered in your account register which are duplicates of what is already there.  Duplicate transactions will need to be manually deleted.  (Duplicates should not be an issue for future downloads.)
    • This process might enter a new "Opening Balance" transaction.  If your account ending balance in Quicken is not accurate, look for a 2nd "Opening Balance" transaction.  If there are 2 "Opening Balance" transactions, delete the one with the most recent date.
    Let me know if you have questions.

• ...select the Account for which you would like to download transactions from the Overview page, scroll down past the transaction breakdown circle and select "Download Transactions"." If you have multiple formats to select from, be sure to select the QFX (or "Quicken") format.
    This process can not be done on Tangerine's website therefore I can not proceed with the balance of the instructions.