Schwab, not properly linking accounts

Reed Welch
Reed Welch Member ✭✭✭

Just updated to 6.4.5 Deactivated all Schwab accounts, then reactivated. Initial connection failed to link 2 retirement accounts for my spouse so created 3 new accounts, one of her retirement accounts was linked properly. I deleted the 2 new accounts, ensured downloads were disabled, then attempted to enable these 2 accounts - on this try, they didn’t appear in the Schwab list of available accounts. Yes, I have full POA on these accounts.

Log files were sent using "Report a Problem"

Comments

• hurwi
    hurwi Mac Beta Beta
    I have this same issue - 4 of my Schwab accounts (out of 5) do not appear in the list of available accounts. Would love to hear when you are able to fix the problem.
  • Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, @"Reed Welch"

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and report this issue. I apologize that you are experiencing this.

In order to better assist you I may need some more information for clarification. If I understand correctly, you were able to add the two accounts in question previously, but they were added as new accounts and not linked to their existing accounts. After you deleted the new accounts, they no longer appeared in the list to authorize, correct? Did you disconnect the accounts prior to deleting them?

If the "new" accounts were not disconnected with Schwab before they were deleted, it is possible that the program doesn't display them as options to connect to because they were authorized previously without being disconnected. You should be able to manage your connections/authorizations through the Schwab website. Could you log in and try to "revoke" access to those accounts so that we can try to authorize them again?

Please let us know if this helps so that we can further assist you in getting this issue resolved!

-Quicken September
  • Quicken September
    Hello, @hurwi

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and adding to this discussion, though I apologize for the trouble. In order to help you further, I will need some additional information.

- What types of accounts are not linking with Schwab? (i.e. Brokerage, 401(k)... etc) Some account types are no longer supported for downloads through Quicken with this new connection method. You can find more about this here - https://www.quicken.com/support/errors-when-updating-or-adding-charles-schwab-accounts
    - Are these accounts shared with any other person/group? (Are there any other sign-in credentials that can access the accounts?) If so, what happens when you try to use those other credentials to link the accounts?

Once you have this information, please get back to us so that we can assist you further! Thank you!

-Quicken September
  • hurwi
    hurwi Mac Beta Beta

The 4 accounts that are not being shown are as follows:
    • 1 brokerage account
    • 1 brokerage Intelliportfolio account
    • 1 Roth IRA account
    • 1 Rollover IRA Intelliportfolio account
    The only one that is linked and able to download is a checking account.

There is 1 other person who can access the brokerage accounts and checking account and when I try to use those credentials, it has similar results - the checking account is linkable but the brokerage accounts do not show up.

Looking at the link you shared - I do not see an error, the accounts just do not show up. The accounts I list above fall under the supported accounts in the section titled "What if my Schwab accounts aren't all available for reauthorization?" and Third-Party access is enabled in the Schwab Security Section. Notably, it does not show me Schwab accounts with checkboxes as you have in your graphic - just the ability to enable or disable Third-Party access.

• Quicken September
    Hi, @hurwi

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and get back to me in regards to this discussion! I apologize for the trouble this issue has been causing you.

Which Schwab instance are you using to connect the account to? Are you able to connect to Charles Schwab and Co., Inc? That's the one that we should be connecting with. When you find Charles Schwab and Co., Inc (pictured in the first attached screenshot) in the bank list and then press continue, it should bring you to a Schwab sign in and authorization window (pictured in the second attached screenshot)

If you do not see that authorization page when you attempt to connect, it could mean that your dataset still needs to be migrated to our new financial data aggregator, FDP. Please let us know if you do not see the authorization screen, as pictured in the attached images, so that we can continue diagnosing and troubleshooting this issue. Thank you!

-Quicken September
  • hurwi
    hurwi Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2021
    @Quicken_September I have tried multiple Schwab instances: Charles Schwab IRA, Charles Schwab Bank - Investor C and Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. None of them have given me that authorization page.

In fact, when I try to use Charles Schwab & Co., Inc., it first says "Charles Schwab is changing the way Quicken connects to your accounts." with a cancel and a learn more button (see attached) Then I have to click Cancel, click Options, verify it's using Quicken Connect, click Continue, and only then will it connect via Charles Schwab & Co., Inc., but it doesn't show that authorization page.

Usually at that point it just allows me to link the checking account and no others, but right now it's showing one of 2 server communication errors. See attached.

UPDATE: also, another point of reference: if I "Start from scratch" with a new quicken file, and try to add my Schwab accounts, then it works as you describe. So something seems to be wrong with my Quicken file that it wasn't migrated correctly to the new Schwab. Obviously I cannot start from scratch as I don't want to lose all my years of data in my current Quicken file, so hopefully you can provide steps so it can be migrated correctly. Thanks.
  • Quicken September
    Hello again, @hurwi

Thank you for taking the time to get back to us here in the Community regarding your issue connecting with Schwab! I apologize for all of the trouble this issue has been causing you.

I appreciate your detailed response! What this tells me is that something did go wrong in your migration and that you are still on the FDS system which is incompatible with the new connection method with Schwab. With this new information, I now have a solution for you that should force your dataset to migrate to FDP, thereby granting you access to the new connection method.

Before I get right to it, I do want to inform you that before you take this step, I advise that you save a backup. You should also know that this step will disconnect all of your accounts that are on a Quicken Connect connection and you will need to sign back into them to continue downloads. However, your dataset will be migrated to FDP and you will be able to successfully connect with Charles Schwab and Co., Inc.

To do this, we are going to Reset Account Connections.

1. Holding the Option (Alt) key on your keyboard, press the Help button in the menu bar.
    2. The help menu should pop up, but this time with an additional option at the bottom labelled Troubleshooting.
    3. Hover over Troubleshooting and you will see three options. Please select the option that says Reset Account Connections.
    4. This will prompt a pop-up asking if you would like to Reset your Account Connections. Please confirm this by pressing Reset Account Connections.
    5. This process may take a few minutes so please be patient.
    6. After the pop-up disappears on its own indicating that it has finished with its process, we are done and you may proceed with reconnecting your accounts.

After this reset, your dataset will be migrated to FDP and you will be able to connect with Charles Schwab and Co., Inc and you will see the attached sign-in page.

I hope this is helpful! Again, if you require any further assistance, please get back to us and we will be happy to assist you.
    https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

-Quicken September
  • hurwi
    hurwi Mac Beta Beta
    @Quicken_September this worked. Thank you!
  • Quicken September
    Hello, @hurwi

Thank you for reaching back out to the Community to let us know this worked! I am happy to hear it.
    If you ever have any other questions, please feel free to reach out as we are always happy to help!

Thanks,
    -Quicken September

• Reed Welch
    Reed Welch Member ✭✭✭
    It only worked for a limited time for me.
    I have 2 Quicken files, both requiring Schwab connections.
    One file is for an estate, with 4 separate Schwab accounts.
    I attempted to fix the estate file per your instructions and it worked, for a day or two, then wouldn’t connect.
    Today, did another Reset Account Connections in an attempt to fix. 
    Proceeded to fix by clicking “Reconnect” on one of the accounts, which took me to the Q Schwab portal, and enabled all 24 active accounts, which Schwab confirmed.
    Selected “Take me back to Quicken”, and Quicken listed only 20 accounts found, which only had 1 of the 4 accounts that I track in the Q file. I “ignored” the 19 and selected to 1 file of interest. Very tedious! Account status showed Last Connection successful, but it is missing 8 transactions (journaled shares) from 12/17.
    What needs to be done to fix this?
    Problem reported to development team with all Log files 

I assume I didn’t do anything wrong, and if so is this a known issue and is there a fix coming shortly?

• 10s_player
    10s_player Member ✭✭
    @Reed Welch - you must put all your Schwab accounts in 1 file.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Just to clarify the post above...
    @Reed Welch - you must put all your Schwab accounts in 1 file.
    ... not because of any Quicken limitation, but because Schwab has imposed a restriction that only one Quicken account can connect to Schwab.

Also, are you the legal owner of those estate accounts? If they aren't titled directly and solely in your name, Schwab isn't allowing access to any accounts you don't own or have view-only access for. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Reed Welch
    Reed Welch Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Having Schwab accounts restricted to one Q file wasn't the case prior to the changeover, and not very practical. I know CPA's with POA privileges, for multiple clients, that historically have kept separate Q client files. I have a good relationship with Schwab, and will ask this question and report back on the response.
    And yes I am the legal owner of the estate accounts.........
  • jacobs
    @Reed Welch Yes, these restrictions are new, imposed by Schwab as part of their new security procedures. And yes, it will prove to be a pain for users and users who give files to accountants, unless complaints from customers to Schwab leads to them relaxing these new rules. 

There is nothing in the new EWC+ protocol being used which creates these limitations; they are all imposed by Schwab. Quicken says other brokerages will be switching to EWC+ in upcoming months, and will not have these limitations. For Quicken, it was apparently a matter of complying with Schwab's rules or losing access to connect with Schwab at all. 

Quicken spells out the Schwab limitations on this web page, as follows:
    Accounts must meet certain criteria to be available for reauthorization.
    • You must be the owner of the account.
    • View-only users will not show up.  Example: Your spouse has an account which was granted access to view. You will see this account on the Charles Schwab website, but you will not be able to download it.  You can only download accounts you have legal ownership of. 
    • Donor Advised accounts will not be included for download. 
    • 529 accounts are enabled for download.
    • Credit cards are not supported, you will need to set up the account for download via American Express.
    Supported account types: Brokerage, IRA, 401(k), Line of Credit, and Loans (balance only).

Additionally, users who have talked with Schwab support have reported being told that (1) business accounts lack eligibility to share account data with a third-party, currently, but that within the next month Schwab will be rolling out enhancements that will allow clients to re-link these accounts, and (2)  Schwab has decided not to allow Quicken access for their international (outside the US) customers.
  • Reed Welch
    Reed Welch Member ✭✭✭
    When I talk to Schwab, and if they confirm that only 1 Q file can access CS, I will point out that this is not practical, and that this limitation didn’t exist in the past.
    Combining multiple Q historical files into one Q file, were both files have transactional links between FI’s, including CS, just doesn’t work, from my experience.
    I have been a Q user for over 25 years, and have historical transition data that is relative and important.

BTW - neither your post nor the link you provided mentioned anything about the CS 1 file limitation with Q, did I miss something?

• Reed Welch
    Reed Welch Member ✭✭✭
    When I talk to Schwab, and if they confirm this restraint, I will point out why they need to make a change.
    It is not practical to combine multiple historical Q files, which have linked transactions with Schwab and other FI's. In my instance I have been a Q user for over 25 years, and have history that is important to maintain.
    jacobs  BTW - I didn't see anything in your post or link to Quicken that reference the Schwab restriction to one Q file, did I miss something?
  • jacobs
    @Reed Welch It's been mentioned in a number of posts, but here's one in the official Announcements posts from Quicken:

At this time, the new Schwab authorization process is limited to a single data file, and if Schwab accounts are connected or authorized in a different file, the original file connection is signed out, and you will again be prompted to authorize the accounts.

Quicken staff at the time acknowledged that this is problematic for some Quicken users, and held out hope that Schwab might at some point change this restriction.

More recently, though, this note was added to the Announcements thread:

Reauthentication required when switching between different datafiles accessing a single Schwab login.  We have identified one situation in which this occurs: if you have one set of Schwab login credentials, you will be unable to use this single set of credentials with more than one Quicken ID.  
    However, the following situations should work:
    • Using Charles Schwab credentials with the same Quicken ID across more than one data file
    • Using more than one set of Schwab login credentials in the same Quicken data file
    So it appears users should now be able to use multiple Quicken files with Schwab accounts, as long as they use the same Quicken ID for accessing the same Schwab login.

Additionally, I haven't seen this latest post to the Announcements a few days ago, which now allows many more types of Schwab accounts to be connected in Quicken:

Schwab customers accessing accounts for the following roles should now be able to add their accounts to Quicken:
    • Authorized Agent
    • Entity Agent
    • IA Entity Agent
    • Full Power Financial Advisor
    • Sole Proprietor Spouse
    • View Only
    • Limited Power of Attorney
    • Donor
    • Portfolio View
    • Nominator
    • Trusteed IRA Recipient
    • Limited Power Financial Admin        
    • Withdrawal Power Financial Advisor
    • QPLAD
    • HSA Custodian
    • Non-Trading Agent
    • Schwab has added download support for ​Donor Advised Funds

So tangible progress has been made over the past few weeks. It seems most of the issues we were discussing above should now be non-issues. Whew! :)

Of course, that doesn't explain why you were unable to connect your Trust accounts. ;) I'm afraid you'll need to continue to pursue that with Schwab and/or Quicken support. 

This discussion has been closed.