CC-501 Schwab

Options
chuck0one
chuck0one Member ✭✭
After waiting for over an hour on Quicken support line, finally was connected to technician who walked me through the process which worked! I was stuck in the CC-501 loop. Unfortunately, I do not recall the man's name but he was very patient and helpful. Anyway, the procedure he walked me through is as follows.
1. Back up you file just in case.
2. Go to you account list- Tools/Account List-and edit each and every Schwab account removing the zzz Charles Schwab & Co Inc. information and the account number. Do this for each Schwab account. Also, check the hidden file box and do the same for any Schwab accounts which appear there if any. This information will repopulate with the correct information once they are reauthorized.
3. Validate the file. File/Validate Repair. This takes a while, be patient. At the end will produce a text log file. Ignore this.
4. Sign out of your Quicken profile. Edit/Preferences/Quicken Id & Cloud Accounts/Sign in as a different user. Sign out. Then sign in again with your Quicken credentials.
5. Quicken will then load up your validated data file.
6. Close Quicken.
7. Start Quicken again.
8. Now for the good part. Go to Tools/Add Account. Will display the usual choices which you have attempted to do for the last week or so. Choose Schwab. Track your investment screen, choose what you like. Contacts Schwab. Charles Schwab & Co. requires you to authorize your accounts. Review the following information before you sign in. This is where in the past once you click sign in one would get the CC-501 error screen. Now it takes you to the Schwab log in screen. Log in with your Schwab credentials. If you have the two party authorization have the app up so you can enter the number.
9. A list of accounts will appear. Choose the ones you wish to authorize for Quicken. One completed the screen will return to Quicken.
10. One can then choose to create a new account for each entry or choose to use an existing account.
I chose use existing account and matched the ones I already have.
11. Now for the bad news, this works but when re authorizing the accounts, the history for the last two years or so is downloaded which results in several hundred transactions which will be a mixture of matches, near matches, and new. The matches you can accept with no issue, the near matches were just date mismatches. The new ones you have to delete one at time. Most of these are Reinvest of Dividends. The old Schwab way was to pay the dividend and then buy the same, two separate entries. This new type of transaction combines the two into one resulting in new entries which are duplicates of the dividend and buy entries. I had several hundred. Took several hours.

All in all it worked. I would have to give an A to the tech who helped me. An F- to Quicken for allowing this to occur.

Comments

• TPerk
    TPerk Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Chuck,
    Thanks for the info. I followed it explicitly and still get 501 on the Add Account window. This is the window in pic.

Any idea of what's happening?
    Tom P In Sunny Virginia Beach, Va
    Q Win Premier Sub
  • TPerk
    TPerk Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Options
    [Removed - Duplicate]
    Q Win Premier Sub
  • Joseph Witkin
    Joseph Witkin Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chuck, if some of the newly downloaded duplicates have altered dates, how do you line them up with your existing transactions to determine they are in fact duplicates?
    I had 374 "new" transactions downloaded. I had just updated with zzz- prior to the attempted switch, so I assumed my account was up to date and all of the "new" transactions could be deleted (one by one, hours...) but that resulted in markedly incorrect cash balances and security holding quantities...
  • ejg11
    ejg11 Member
    Options
    This solution does work. I suggest that when Schwab shows the accounts that have to be added, you use the relink option and then you won't have duplicated entries that have to be deleted. You also maintain all your data rather than just 2 years.
  • gnunley
    gnunley Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    still can not down load charles schwab account. Have had 3 tickets [Removed-Disruptive] trying to fix it.
  • tvgraves
    tvgraves Member
    Options
    I followed this to the letter and I am still getting 501 errors and endless loops. The tech support people I have been chatting with seem to know little about the issue.
  • Joseph Witkin
    Options
    Schwab had been working ok for a while after the transition, but now I am getting negative cash balances in my IRA accounts apparently due to duplicate transactions (“reinvest dividend” “ and “purchase”, same date and fractional number of shares 🙁
  • kevin Tinkelman
    kevin Tinkelman Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I tried to reset my main investment account, it got deactivated. i cant add it back, getting error
    created a new file. i am unable to add ANY accounts from Charles Schwab
  • Joseph Witkin
    Options
    After today's "fix" of the OSU hang, I am again getting asked to authorize my Schwab accounts, but can't, with CC-501 error again! Also, my other express web connect account (San Diego County Credit Union) cannot update with CC-501 - "error on the Quicken server". Serious issues here! :(
  • swcampos
    swcampos Member ✭✭
    Options
    Using Quicken for Windows R36.56, I can't connect to Charles Schwab & Co, Inc or any or Schwab variants without getting "Oops, something went wrong. Please try again." with a CC-501 error. I have never been connected to Schwab through Quicken. I have looked at several other discussions about Schwab and none of these solutions work.
  • Joseph Witkin
    Options
    Working today
  • skg_in_sd
    skg_in_sd Member ✭✭
    Options
    Have not been able to set up my new Schwab account for download. I have only one Schwab account. Using Quicken Premier for Windows R36.56. Have been following the discussions trying for a month, and have not succeeded yet.

Any suggestions?
  • lurch177
    lurch177 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @skg_in_sd said:
    > Have not been able to set up my new Schwab account for download. I have only one Schwab account. Using Quicken Premier for Windows R36.56. Have been following the discussions trying for a month, and have not succeeded yet.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

Same here, also for a month. Except mine's an old Schwab account that wouldn't reauthorize. Deactivated online services and could not reactivate. This time followed Chuck's steps explicitly, first with R37.37 and again with the current Mondo R36.57. Continue to get "Oops. We're having a problem." CC-501 errors when attempting to add as a new account. Same results when selecting either Charles Schwab and Co., Inc or Charles Schwab - Investor C.

Nothing suggested in other posts is working for me either.
  • lurch177
    lurch177 Member ✭✭
    Options
    For what it's worth, I just tried activating online services for another brokerage account, Victory Capital, which just started supporting Quicken. Getting EXACTLY the same CC-501 error, both when trying to add/link as a new account or when attempting to activate from within the existing Victory account.
  • cstoner
    cstoner Member
    Options
    I was able to update 13 Schwab account across 3 logins about 10 days ago. But yesterday, some accounts didn't update under my login (which has 6 brokerage and 1 checking account). Today I called and spent an hour with a Q support person who walked me thru backup, sign-out/in, add account, etc. For the first time I got CC-501 a couple of times. He had me upload some log files and said try again tomorrow, if it doesn't work, call back.

And so, the saga continues...
  • cstoner
    cstoner Member
    Options
    Update to my prior msg above: After an hour on the phone with Quicken support and updating log files, I was told to wait a day and try again. Lo and behold, the next day (today) I was able to update/download transactions for my 6 brokerage accounts. Now, Schwab checking account is not updating (we did't work on that one yesterday), but I did the 'Add Account' for it and will wait another day and see if that one updates.

Also, time will tell if the updates keep working or not. Minor: a couple of long term div reinvestments were mis-classified as short-term, but that's pretty minor in the scheme of things.
  • Joseph Witkin
    Options
    whack-a-mole! :(
  • Quicken Alyssa
    Options
    Hello all,

Just stopping by to see if anyone in this discussion is still getting the CC-501 error with Charles Schwab. 

If so, we would be glad to help!

Thank you!

Quicken Alyssa

• lurch177
    lurch177 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Quicken Alyssa said:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Just stopping by to see if anyone in this discussion is still getting the CC-501 error with Charles Schwab. 
    >
    > If so, we would be glad to help!
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Quicken Alyssa

Yes, I am still getting a CC-501 error when attempting to add a Schwab investment account (Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.). I have a 20+ year old Schwab account that I was not able to reauthorize a month ago. I deactivated online services for this account and now cannot reactivate them, either from within the exiting account or by adding a new account and linking to the existing one. I get a CC-501 error every time.

I can create a new Quicken data file with no accounts and add a Schwab account to that file and download transactions just fine. I just can't add the Schwab account to my existing data file.

Work-arounds suggested in this and other posts have not resolved the problem. Two telephone support sessions have also not been able to resolve the problem. This problem has persisted across multiple releases, the latest R37.62.

Any help you can give would be gratefully appreciated.
  • SMT2
    SMT2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @lurch177, I am just curious. In your attempt to add Schwab investment account (Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.), do you get a Schwab web pop-up screen within Quicken (see attached jpg), or did it just went direct to CC-501 error?

If you are not getting the Schwab Authorization web pop-up screen, your data file may still be in FDS Communication Channel, rather then QCS (see attached jpg). Just FYI. Mine was caused by this.

Here are high level steps to change Communication Channel and fix CC-501 error where one is not getting Schwab Authorization Web Pop-up screen.

o Back-level Quicken to a release prior to 27.1.34.19. I believe Quicken removed the function (F4 + Help > About Quicken) at around release 27.1.34.19. Therefore, I would recommend to pick a release as far back as you can. I personally use release 27.1.32.10 for this purpose.
    o Start Quicken, change communication Channel to QCS (See image for details), then exit.
    o Update Quicken to the current release (any release).
    o Start Quicken - Add Accounts (Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.), Schwab Authorization Pop-up ... Schwab Login ... and so on....
  • lurch177
    lurch177 Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @SMT2 said:
    > Hi @lurch177, I am just curious. In your attempt to add Schwab investment account (Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.), do you get a Schwab web pop-up screen within Quicken (see attached jpg), or did it just went direct to CC-501 error?
    >
    > If you are not getting the Schwab Authorization web pop-up screen, your data file may still be in FDS Communication Channel, rather then QCS (see attached jpg). Just FYI. Mine was caused by this.
    >
    Hi @SMT2,
    Thanks for the response and hints. With my existing data file trying to add Schwab leads to a Quicken pop-up (Q1.jpg), same one, I think, as before the Schwab changes a month ago. Entering my Schwab User ID and password there leads to the CC-501 error you as you show in your post.

I rolled back to 27.1.32.10 and checked the connection channel (F4+Help|About Quicken) -- I'm on QCS (Q2.jpg). Appears that's not what's causing my problem.

Going back to 27.1.37.62 still can't add my Schwab account. But, if I create a new Quicken data file and add a Schwab account, I get the Schwab pop-up as you show, add the account and can download fine.

Thanks for your help. Think I'll wait till after year end and completely rebuild my data file from scratch.
  • lurch177
    lurch177 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @SMT2's thought that I might not be on the QCS connection channel turned out not to be the cause of my Schwab CC-501 errors, but it did get me thinking about Quicken cloud data.

Several posts regarding the Schwab CC-501 problems have suggested refreshing cloud data (Edit|Preferences|Mobile & Web|Reset Your Cloud Data). That wasn't possible for me because I don't have (and as far as I know never have had) cloud sync enabled, I don't use Quicken's mobile and web services. I did turn sync on briefly and tried resetting but it didn't clear the CC-501 error when I tried to add a Schwab account.

I found this Reddit post (https://www.reddit.com/r/quicken/comments/l8ntqc/error_ol362a_help/) that talks about problems caused by corruption in cloud data sets and a means of deleting and recreating them. I tried the technique described in the post and found, to my surprise, I had multiple cloud data sets, one for my current data file and several for older year-end archive files. I deleted them all and, after going back to my current data file, was able to add the Schwab account successfully.

It appears, then, that my problem may have been caused by corruption in the cloud data set for my current data file. Why this cloud data set and those for my other data files are even there when I don't have sync enabled is a mystery to me. Makes me wonder how widely user cloud data sets exist, what data's actually there, how and when it's used, and how secure it is. And how we can keep our data out of Quicken's cloud if we don't want it there.
  • TPerk
    TPerk Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I too had 501, but after last Q update, I backed up Q and then DELETED all 5 of my Schwab Accounts. I then started over adding Schwab accounts back into Quicken. After theee days now and multiple downloaded transactions, My Q accounts and my SCH accounts reconcile to the penny!
    Q Win Premier Sub
This discussion has been closed.