Mac version 6.4.5 added new sidebar items

Gotom
Gotom Member ✭✭✭
The new item is preceded by an X followed by my partial account no. - it contains six mo's of transactions. The other is marked Cash - it too has six mo's of transactions. The third one is labeled with my full account no. It has all the transactions in the account going back in history. Previously, I had but a single "cash" account labeled with my account no. It contained my entire, scrollable list of transactions going back in history. Why is the account now sliced and diced like this? Thanks, Tom

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Yes, the rotating arrow indicates that Quicken is still updating accounts.

If you see an orange dot next to the account name, that means the connection was unsuccessful. Click menu Window > Account Status for more information. If you see a blue dot next to the account name, that means new transactions were downloaded. If the rotating arrow stops, and there are no dots next to the account name, that means the connection was successful with no new transactions downloaded.

It is up to each bank how far back that they provide transactions for download. Most banks provide no more than 90 days worth. There is one way that you may be able to get transactions prior to May: go to your bank's website and see if you can download a Quicken file (QFX or OFX format) for the dates needed. If so, you should be able to import that file into your Quicken account. If you get the file and need help importing it, let us know.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It seems to have gone just as you said it would! A little cleanup to delete opening balances and dupes here & there and it
    appears I’m done - but don’t be surprised 
    if I come across w something I can’t handle!

Boy - without you guys I’d be dead - no question!  

Happy New Year to all - Tom

Answers

• Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, @Gotom

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question, though I am sorry for any confusion or inconveniences that this issue may be causing you. In order to help us better assist you further, would you mind elaborating on a few questions? 

Are you receiving new downloads in the account labeled with your full account number? If so, is it up to date? Have you recently done any troubleshooting in which a duplicate account may have been accidentally created? (Disconnecting and Reconnecting accounts for example? If you navigate to your Account Settings, do both accounts show that they are connected with your financial institution?

You may check this by navigating to the Settings Gear located in the lower righthand corner of your account's register or by navigating to Accounts > Settings in the menu bar and selecting the Downloads tab. 

Once you have this additional information, please reach back out to us so that we may assist you further. Thank you!

-Quicken September
  • Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    Yes - am receiving d.l.'s in both the one named "Cash" and the one preceded by my bank's name and X - each looks up to date and the balance looks ok. I've done no troubleshooting apart from the Schwab update. The one preceded by my full account no. isn't fully up to date and the balance shows 0. Using the gear, both of them, Cash and X - want my credit card password. Even so, the account labeled Credit Card is woefully out of date, but one additional account not mentioned prev. uses my actual credit card name - and all seems well on that one. As for "or by navigating to Accounts > Settings in the menu bar and selecting the Downloads tab." I was unable to find that. Thank you Quicken September for helping me! Tom
  • Quicken September
    Hello again, @Gotom

Thank you for getting back to the Community with this update! I appreciate your response, though again, I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience this issue may be causing you.

It sounds to me like at some point your main account was disconnected and then readded as a new account instead of being linked to your existing account, thereby creating duplicate accounts in your register. That would explain why the old account is not connected/getting updates, yet these newer accounts that don't have your history are.

Unfortunately, with the given information, it is unclear what originally may have caused such a disconnect. Regardless, I believe that the simplest steps available to restore your file back to normal are to disconnect the newer partial accounts, reconnect your financial institution to the original account in Quicken (the one with your full history), then to dispose of the duplicate accounts. 

Now, before you perform this process, I do advise that you Save a Backup. (You can do this by navigating to File and then Save a Backup.)

1. Highlight the account(s) we want to disconnect in your accounts list (In this case Cash and X...)
    2. Access your Account Settings - This can be done by going to Accounts in the menu bar and selecting Settings or by clicking the Settings Gear in the lower righthand corner of your register. 
    3. Select the Downloads tab.
    4. Select Disconnect Account to completely disconnect the account from the Financial Institution. Repeat for the other duplicate account.
    5. Once the Cash and X accounts are disconnected, please navigate to the Plus (+) sign in the upper lefthand corner (or Accounts > New > [Account Type])
    6. In the bank list, find your Financial Institution and continue.
    7. A sign-in page should appear - Input your credentials and then follow the prompts to continue linking your accounts.

Note: Pay special attention to the Action column when your account pulls up to make sure that that you link it to your original account (the one with the full history) instead of ADD, otherwise you’ll end up with duplicate accounts again.

Your account(s) should perform an update, pulling in missed transactions and bringing you up to date. The same process can be applied to the credit card accounts that you mentioned in your last message as well. 

Lastly, I would advise you clean up your register by disposing of those extra accounts. You can go about this in one of two ways - by deleting them or by keeping them hidden and separate

If you decide to delete, I would double check to make sure there is no information in these accounts that you don't already have in other accounts as this is permanent and you will lose this data for good (unless you restore from a backup). You may do this by navigating to Accounts and selecting Delete Account... or by Right-Clicking/Command-Clicking the account and selecting Delete "Account Name"

If you would rather not delete, you may navigate to Accounts and then select Hide and Show Accounts. From here you may check the boxes next to the specified accounts to mark them as hidden and/or separate.

This should get you back to normal. If you require any further assistance or you have more questions, please get back to us so that we may assist you further. Thank you!

-Quicken September

• Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    I'll have to digest all these points, QS!
  • Quicken September
    Hi, @Gotom

Thank you for reaching back out to the Community with your response. If you have any further questions or need assistance/clarification, please reach back out. We're always happy to help!

Thank you!

-Quicken September
  • Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you - I have three questions:

Does the rotating arrow top R indicate the account is connected and still checking for new transactions?

When it's finished connecting does it place an orange dot L of account name?

How can I display more transactions than only to last May - it's stopped at "Live opening balance" (an adjustment).

Tom
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    Yes, the rotating arrow indicates that Quicken is still updating accounts.

If you see an orange dot next to the account name, that means the connection was unsuccessful. Click menu Window > Account Status for more information. If you see a blue dot next to the account name, that means new transactions were downloaded. If the rotating arrow stops, and there are no dots next to the account name, that means the connection was successful with no new transactions downloaded.

It is up to each bank how far back that they provide transactions for download. Most banks provide no more than 90 days worth. There is one way that you may be able to get transactions prior to May: go to your bank's website and see if you can download a Quicken file (QFX or OFX format) for the dates needed. If so, you should be able to import that file into your Quicken account. If you get the file and need help importing it, let us know.
  • Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Ouch! Until recently my Quicken transactions were scrollable back thru early 2000's. What happened?
  • Quicken September
    Hello, @Gotom

Thank you for your update, though I am sorry to hear you are running into this new issue. I would recommend that you check your accounts list on the left side of your screen to see if you have any duplicate accounts. It's possible that at some point during this process we may have added the account as a new account instead of linking it to the original.

In this case, we would see a new account which would typically only have history through the last 3 months, and another, separate, account in the left that has all of your transaction histories but may not necessarily be up to date... Oftentimes these older accounts also have errors associated with them but not always. Would you please check to see if you have another account with your history in it? 

Once you have checked for this other account in your list of accounts, please let us know what you've found so that we may assist you further. Thank you!

-Quicken September 
  • Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Oh yes - one of my accounts, now hidden - goes all the way back. Whew . . . ! RickO said banks typically d.l. only 90 days of transactions! What should I do to update and protect it - it goes back thru thru August - and is identified with my bank account number. Obviously, I don't wanna lose it but it needs updating . . .
  • RickO
    I don't think I understood your question in my answer about 90 days. It's not that you need to download further back than 90 days. It's that you need combine the transactions that "go all the way back" in the hidden account with those in the account that only has a short history. Do I have that right?

If so, this is easy. Go to the hidden account in the sidebar. Select all transactions in this account (menu Edit > Select All). Drag and drop these transactions as a group to the name of the other account in the sidebar. This will move all the transactions into one account. The hidden account will then be empty and can be deleted. If there are thousands of transactions being moved, be prepared to wait a while.

Before you do this, make sure there aren't duplicate transactions (overlapping dates) in the two accounts and delete them from one of the accounts before proceeding. Also, before starting this, make a backup of your file so you can revert if anything goes wrong.
  • Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    Ok - but the target account is showing up as Hidden.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    So the account which just downloaded the past 90 days of transactions is hidden? That seems odd, but okay... you can unhide it. Then, as Rick said, move all the transactions (after checking for and eliminating any duplicates) from the old account into the new one, and then delete the now-empty old account. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    How does one unhide an account? Dragging dint work . . . Tom
  • Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    Should I just paste the contents into the visible account - editing carefully of course.
  • RickO
    To unhide the account, click menu Accounts > Hide & Show Accounts. Find the account in the list and uncheck the box in the Hide in Lists column. 

Or.. if you see the account in the sidebar, select it, then click menu Accounts > Settings. In the Settings window, click the Display Options tab, then uncheck the box next to "Hide account..."
  • Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you for how to Hide/Unhide. I haven't summoned up the nerve to paste missing transactions into target yet although I'm depending on a Time Machine copy in case things go awry.           Merry Christmas to you guys!    Tom
  • RickO
    Don't depend on just a Time Machine backup. Click menu File > Save a Backup. Put it somewhere easy to find (eg your Desktop, Downloads or Documents folders). Give it a name meaningful to the step in the process you are at (eg Before Drag and Drop.quickenbackup). They you'll be sure to be able to revert to the exact place you were before doing this step.
  • Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you RickO - I've saved a copy of both source and target accounts - but I need guidance. The target account, which is indeed updating, is much smaller than the source - which has all transactions going back to antiquity. This means I'll need to copy/paste many, many more transactions into the target. Should one take this only years at a time? I'm working with 16GB of system memory so I might possibly be able to pull the copy off - but what should I do? Thank you, Tom
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Gotom  Before you start what I've written below, I want to make sure you've made a copy of your Quicken data file. You wrote above that you have made copies of the source and target accounts. I'm not sure what you mean. Reading this thread, I was under the impression that you have a single data file with and old and new account in the left sidebar. Is that correct? So I'm confused about what you meant about copying the accounts? If you've got these two accounts in the same data file, then all you need to take proper precaution before going farther is to make a backup copy of your data file by doing File > Save a Backup. then…

You aren't going to "copy and paste". You are simply going to move all the transactions from one account to the other by dragging them into the new/target count. You can do it in chunks if you prefer, but there's really no reason not to do it in one step. Open the old account, click on any transaction, then press Command-A to Select All. With all the transactions highlighted, click and drag any one of the highlighted transactions to the target account in the left sidebar.  You should then verify that you have all the transactions in the new account, and no transactions remaining in the old account. You can delete the old account then by Control-clicking on it in the left sidebar and deleting delete from the pop-up menu.

In the new account, you might need to delete an "opening balance" or adjustment transaction on the date that the new account became active. You've just essentially replaced that opening balance adjustment with all the old transactions. 

Does that all make sense? 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It seems to have gone just as you said it would! A little cleanup to delete opening balances and dupes here & there and it
    appears I’m done - but don’t be surprised 
    if I come across w something I can’t handle!

Boy - without you guys I’d be dead - no question!  

Happy New Year to all - Tom
This discussion has been closed.