Faster way to tag multiple transactions.... "Apply tag to selected transactions >" (Q Mac)

Marys
Marys Member ✭✭✭
I use tags daily to keep up with transactions from multiple businesses. It would be so nice to be able to quickly apply a tag to multiple transactions without having to go into the edit transactions window. It would be great to select multiple transactions, right click, and see the option to "Apply tag to selected transactions >" with a dropdown list of my tags.
9 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent idea for my use also. I like to capitalize on features for as much info on the transaction as I can use!
  • Brad1
    Brad1 Member ✭✭
    if added, make sure it works on Mac too.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited December 2021
    [Removed - Off Topic]

-Quicken Jasmine
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I'd note for anyone who may not be aware, that you can add tags (or anything else) to multiple transactions at once, as long as the transactions aren't splits. Simply multi-select (Command-click) two or more transactions, and select Transactions > Edit Transaction (or Command-E). Now you can enter a tag or tags and specify whether to add them to or replace existing tags, and apply this to all the selected transactions when you click OK.

This can be a great time-saver. The big downside is that this doesn't work in transactions with splits, so it depends on the nature of your transactions how useful or not useful this feature will be for you.

I hope they implement a change to make edits apply within splits in the future, which would make this feature significantly more useful. If you'd like to see this, too, please visit this thread and add your vote for it (click the little black arrow under the vote counter in the yellow box under the first post).
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • skylark89
    skylark89 Member
    jacobs, when I control-select, right click and click on edit transactions, I get a "find and replace" dialog box. It has a column that shows tags, but when I go the field at the bottom left that asks which category I want to replace, tags is not an option. It lets you edit date, payee, cat, memo, clr status, and amount but not tag, account, or num. (I'm using Windows 11, not a Mac, so this may explain why I'm not getting the result you get.)
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @skylark89 I'm strictly a Mac user, so what I described above works on Quicken Mac:

I don't know if there's an equivalent in Quicken Windows.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    skylark89 said:
    jacobs, when I control-select, right click and click on edit transactions, I get a "find and replace" dialog box. It has a column that shows tags, but when I go the field at the bottom left that asks which category I want to replace, tags is not an option. It lets you edit date, payee, cat, memo, clr status, and amount but not tag, account, or num. (I'm using Windows 11, not a Mac, so this may explain why I'm not getting the result you get.)
    This being a Q Windows - specific question, it should have been started as a separate question or discussion.
    In my up-to-date Q Windows, using the Find & Replace dialog from the Edit Menu gives me a selection to Replace Tag with ...

The NUM field is called Check Number and is available to use in both Find and Replace actions.
    The Account field is not available for changing using Find & Replace. To move transactions from one account to another you need to select or block-select transactions directly in one account register then right-click a selected transaction and use the Move Transactions function. Not recommended for use with reconciled register transactions.
    If you have additional questions on this or any other subject, please start your own new discussion. We like to keep discussions to one customer, one subject.
  • odysseus
    odysseus Member, Mac Beta Beta
    A couple of comments:

1. Quicken for Mac needs Find and Replace -- that was present in Quicken 2007.
    2. @jacobs solution doesn't work for "action" -- why is this absent from "bulk edit" or whatever it is called? Can it please be added?