Quicken for Mac v6.5 Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
Today we're starting to rollout the v6.5 release which includes a number of enhancements including:
  • Improved investment dashboard. Now the dashboard cards expand with the window and fill the screen. Holdings now display the security name instead of the symbol to take advantage of the wider card width. There's a new toolbar that gives you more control such as setting the date for the information in the dashboard, updating quotes, and choosing to display cents.
  • More improvements to the Account Sidebar Notifications. We now add an icon to tell you whether auto-reconcile succeeded or if there were issues requiring a manual review. We also give you more control regarding what the blue dot indicator represents. You can continue to have it represent accounts with new transactions or you can change it to represent accounts that have unreviewed transactions.
  • Brand-New Add eBill - We've completely re-built the add eBill flow to make it more reliable and simpler to use. Previously, trying to add an eBill would sometimes fail because it would time out. Now we support a Pending state which means we'll continue to try to add it even after you've completed the add eBill process. These incomplete eBills will now appear in a new Pending tray that appears at the bottom of the screen of the Bills and Payee tabs. The flow now also supports adding more than one account from a single biller and will also propose a scheduled transaction for you instead of forcing you to define one.
  • Quicken Connect Investments - Previously Quicken Mac only supported Direct Connect investment accounts which worked fine if you had a brokerage account from a long-established brokerage such as Schwab, Fidelity, or Vanguard. Unfortunately, none of the new brokerage companies supported the infrastructure required for Direct Connect investments so you previously couldn't add these accounts. We've just turned this on in v6.4 and v6.5 so you will now be able to add Robinhood, Betterment, and others.  In many cases, you will only be able to get the market value for the account but at least this will allow you to track your true net worth. You now have access to an additional 800 financial institutions but the quality of each of these connections will be different depending on the institution.  Let us know which ones are working for you and which ones aren't.
Please provide any feedback, especially new bugs that you encounter, in this forum post so we can easily track and speed any required fixes.  If you aren't being notified of the update but would like to try it out, just go to the Quicken menu and select Check for Updates.

The Quicken Mac Development Team

UPDATES
12/22 - Starting to roll out v6.5 to a small percentage of customers including those signed up for Early Access features.
12/28 - Fixed the orange pencil triggering the unreviewed blue dot and options share count in the dashboard issues. Also fixed some crashing bug.  We're still in limited release.

Comments

• Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Regarding the Sidebar change to represent accounts that have unreviewed transactions --
    When I write a check, I enter it into Quicken.  Therefore, it puts an orange pencil by the transaction IF I have the account set to download transactions.  I do understand why the orange pencil is displayed but this orange pencil causes the Blue Dot to appear beside the account name in the sidebar.  I'm not sure the orange pencil should indicate the account isn't reviewed.  I would assume when the orange pencil turns Blue (a matching downloaded transaction) that then the account needs to be reviewed.  

Am I missing something?  By the way I have quite a few investment accounts that had orange pencils from years ago that also had the blue dot but no blue dots on individual transactions.  Once I selected all transactions and clicked reviewed, the blue dot disappeared.  Oh, those orange pencils were due to transferring money from checking to investment in order to buy shares.  Since the investment account doesn't match a "deposit", it just downloads a Buy transaction so there isn't a matching transaction to change the pencil to blue.

To me, I would think it would be more useful to put the Blue Dot beside the account if there were any blue dots on transactions.  Sometimes, I download all transactions in say a credit card account.  I can mark some reviewed and get rid of the those blue dots but I have to wait to get receipts from the wife to do the others.  The blue dot beside the account should stay until all blue dotted transactions are reviewed.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1994
  • Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    @Quicken Marcus I agree with @Rick2022 regarding the account sidebar notifications. There should be an option to only show the blue dot in the sidebar if there are transactions in an account with either a blue dot or a blue pencil (manually entered transaction that was matched to a downloaded one), but not transactions with an orange pencil.

Also, this bug has been documented in a couple of other forum posts (since it was also present in 6.4.5), but Quicken Mac is overwriting manually entered transaction dates with posted dates when transactions are downloaded and matched even if the preference to turn this behavior on is unchecked, like so:

This is a very annoying bug for those of us who like to track both the date of the transaction itself as well as the posted date. Currently I'm having to note actual transaction dates outside of Quicken so when transactions download and match (and the dates get incorrectly overwritten) I can go back and manually correct all the dates again.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Agreeing with the above.

The option to have the blue dot in the sidebar tell us when there are unreviewed transactions is a great idea. However, for those of us that manually enter transactions, it is not useful. As noted above, this is because there are almost always manually entered orange-pencil transactions that trigger the dot.

This could be solved by adding one more option:

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • mike_n
    mike_n Member ✭✭
    I may have found a bug. I'm unable to unhide hidden accounts. Clicking the box to unhide the account in the "Hide and Show Accounts" window doesn't do anything.

I also agree about the blue dot comments--it should not be blue when I manually enter transactions. The feature is potentially very useful but as implemented pretty annoying and I may turn it off so it reverts to the previous behavior.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    mike_n said:
    I may have found a bug. I'm unable to unhide hidden accounts. Clicking the box to unhide the account in the "Hide and Show Accounts" window doesn't do anything.
    To clarify: the box is checked in the Hide and Show Accounts window. Is it (a) you click the box and the checkmark does not go away, or (2) the checkmark goes away, but the account remains hidden?

In either case, have you tried to change it via the checkbox in Accounts > Settings > Display Options?

I tried to replicate this for a couple of my hidden accounts and was unable.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • SRC1954
    SRC1954 Member ✭✭✭
    After upgrading to 6.5 last night, I started getting the "Sync Failed" bug that had shown up for others. It may just be a coincidence. I filed a bug report.

Steve
    MS Money/Quicken Classic since 1991
    Quicken Simplifi since 2021

• Quicken Marcus
    Austin@ said:
    @Quicken Marcus I agree with @Rick2022 regarding the account sidebar notifications. There should be an option to only show the blue dot in the sidebar if there are transactions in an account with either a blue dot or a blue pencil (manually entered transaction that was matched to a downloaded one), but not transactions with an orange pencil.

Also, this bug has been documented in a couple of other forum posts (since it was also present in 6.4.5), but Quicken Mac is overwriting manually entered transaction dates with posted dates when transactions are downloaded and matched even if the preference to turn this behavior on is unchecked, like so:
    Actually manually entered transactions in connected accounts should NOT trigger the blue dot. If that's happening then that is a bug. It should, however, be triggered in un-connected accounts but it sounds like some of you may not want that either. I'd like to hear more about how it should work for unconnected accounts.

I'll file a ticket for the "Use posted date issue". We weren't aware of that issue. Thanks for reporting it here. 
  • Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    @Quicken Marcus

Un-connected accounts do not have any downloads to check nor do they have orange pencils.  The pencils only show up in connected accounts IF I manually enter a transaction or the entry is a transfer from another account (like paying a CC bill from checking).  The orange pencil shows up in the connected CC account for that "transfer".  Then turns to blue when a downloaded transaction matches.

I'm not sure why you think the blue dot should be triggered in un-connected accounts.  What would trigger it? There aren't blue dots inside nor orange pencils.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    100% certain that orange pencils (manually entered transactions) in a connected account DOES show the blue dot in the account side bar.  IMO, only blue dots or blue pencils in a register should trigger a blue dot in the account side bar.  

Unconnected accounts never show an orange pencil...because there is nothing to match since there are no downloads.  
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Quicken Marcus said:
    Manually entered transactions... should, however, be triggered in un-connected accounts but it sounds like some of you may not want that either. I'd like to hear more about how it should work for unconnected accounts.
    As someone who enters manual transactions in unconnected accounts regularly, I want to weigh in agreeing with the several comments above that this is NOT helpful behavior. When I enter a transaction manually, I immediately get a blue dot on the account telling me I have transactions awaiting review. But I don't review the transactions I have manually entered — and I don't believe most other users who enter transactions manually have a "proofreading" step in their workflow. My "review" of manually-entered transactions in an in-connected account comes when I reconcile the account versus a statement. So to clear the blue dot, I now have to take an extra step of marking all the transactions I manually entered as reviewed. Or I must turn off this option globally by changing the sidebar preference setting to "Highlight accounts with new transactions".

I support the idea advanced by @RickO above: add the third Sidebar Activity Options preference for "Highlight accounts with downloaded unreviewed transactions" or "Highlight accounts with unreviewed transactions (downloaded only)".

---

Separately, I'd make a note that the UX for Sidebar Activity Options is somewhat unexpected, because a user selecting a setting is deselecting what was previously selected — the equivalent of a radio button "OR" choice of one or the other. But in other places in the UI where checks have been used in a pop-up menu of choices (e.g. Sidebar Balance Options, Account Display), a user is selecting/deselecting that option only without affecting other checked options— the equivalent of a checkbox "AND" choice. There should be some visual indication in the UI to distinguish when a pop up list of choices is AND versus OR. Perhaps the easiest (if the OS menu tools support it) would be to add a selection header on all the pop-up menus to specify "Select ANY" or "Select ONE" like this:

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jacobs

I just changed my settings to "Highlight accounts with unreviewed transactions" and manually entered a transaction in my un-connected checking account.  I did not get an orange pencil as expected but it also did not put a blue dot beside the account in the sidebar.  It did flag another checking account that is connected because 2 transactions have orange pencils (manually entered transactions).

Using the "Highlight accounts with new transactions", I manually entered a transaction into the un-connected account and I did not get a blue dot beside the account name in the sidebar.  I even dated the transaction tomorrow so it would be "new".   How are you actually getting the blue dot on an unconnected account?
  • jacobs
    @Rick2022 You're right; I was responding to what @Quicken Marcus wrote in his post above:
    Manually entered transactions in connected accounts should NOT trigger the blue dot. If that's happening then that is a bug. It should, however, be triggered in un-connected accounts.
    I wrote that it was not desirable to trigger the blue review dot for manually-entered transactions in unconnected accounts. But I didn't test it before posting. (My fault; the account I tested it in was actually a connected account.) Upon testing in an unconnected account now, I agree with you that it is not doing what Marcus said it should be doing — and that's a good thing! ;)

So just to be completely clear: with Activity Options set to "Highlight accounts with unreviewed transactions", entering a manual transaction in an unconnected account does not add an orange pencil to the transaction and it does not add a blue dot to the account. This is good, and should remain this way.

But a manually-entered transaction in connected account should not trigger the blue dot, and it currently does. As @RickO suggested, a solution would be to add a third option to "Highlight accounts with downloaded unreviewed transactions." Or if triggering the blue dot in this circumstance is considered a bug, as Marcus indicated, then fixing this bug would resolve the problem.
  • Chris Mead
    Chris Mead Member ✭✭✭
    I like the new summary investment page.  Nice work.
  • williamhouk3
    williamhouk3 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    There's a new feature in 6.5.0... "In the Securities window, you can now control the asset mix for each security, mutual fund, and ETF. You can let Quicken maintain and update the mix or define your mix manually."

I found that when I tried to edit a security - to manually reallocate a large "Unclassified" %, I found I could not eliminate the Unclassified percentage; it insists on maintaining a value in Unclassified (and it varies from security to security). Has anyone else seen this behavior?

UPDATE: Now that was weird... after @jacobs feedback, I went and relooked... closed and reopened Quicken, and problem gone... I was seeing as an example... 13.6% in Unclassified, and when I add that to "Cash", the Unclassified went to 13%... and the total flagged I was at 113%...

Thanks again for the feedback.... @jacobs
  • jacobs
    @williamhouk3 I just did some testing of this, and on the securities I edited, it worked correctly/as expected. I unchecked the "Use downloaded asset class information for this security" box, then clicked Edit Asse Mixture. I edited the asset mix to have zero Unclassified, clicked OK and then Done. When I re-opened the security and clicked again on Edit Asset Mixture, the values were what I had previously set; nothing changed. I then did Update All Online Accounts to see if Quicken changed any of the downloaded asset mix information, but it did not change for the securities I had manually changed. 

None of my securities had a large amount in Unclassified, but you indicated you had some. I'd be happy to test some more; can you share the symbol of a security of two which for which Quicken by default assigns a large percentage of asset mix to Unclassified? 
  • jacobs
    @Quicken Marcus I welcome and applaud the improvements in this "Dashboard 2.0" release. Especially welcome is the ability to view and, optionally, edit the Asset Mixture which Quicken obtains from your third-party supplier, and the ability to view the Dashboard as of any date.

However, the Portfolio screen's Group by Asset Class continues to be badly broken because it is using the Asset Class of "Asset Mixture" rather than using the underlying asset mix we can now see and edit. Because I have a large percentage of my investments in mutual funds, all — 100% — of my 20-some mutual funds are lumped into a single line of Asset Mixture. Even bond funds which are 99.8% Domestic Bonds and 0.2% Cash are evaluated as "Asset Mixture" on the Portfolio screen. 

While it's great that the Dashboard uses the "x-ray" asset allocations which are much more refined, the Portfolio view needs to be using the same allocations. The Portfolio view can be printed, exported, sorted, and show a variety of stats one can't get from the Dashboard. 

I have and will continue to suggest lots of additional features and tweaks for the Dashboard as you continue to build its functionality, but I'm writing to urge you not to do any more work on the Dashboard until you fix what was broken with the 6.3 release six months ago on the Portfolio view, which many Quicken users depend on. Can you please tell us if this at the top of your development plans for a future 6.6 release? 
  • jacobs
    Hmmm, is anyone else seeing some really bizarre Asset Mixture values downloaded by Quicken? I was wondering why I didn't see International Bond in the Asset Class card of my Dashboard, when I hold some money in an international bond fund. Here is what Quicken reports for the Asset Mixture of the Vanguard Total International Bond Index Fund Admiral Shares:

Yup, it's showing 60% domestic bonds, 40% cash — for an international bond fund! A quick visit to Vanguard's website shows the makeup of the fund is actually 96.8% international bonds and 3.2% domestic bonds. So the values Quicken has are not slightly off, they are completely wrong!

A quick look at many of my other mutual funds shows plausible values, although I haven't taken time to compare each one to the brokerage. So is this just one anomaly I stumbled on, or do we need to be suspect about the imported asset mixture values?
  • Shing
    Shing Mac Beta Beta
    jacobs said:
    Hmmm, is anyone else seeing some really bizarre Asset Mixture values downloaded by Quicken? I was wondering why I didn't see International Bond in the Asset Class card of my Dashboard, when I hold some money in an international bond fund. Here is what Quicken reports for the Asset Mixture of the Vanguard Total International Bond Index Fund Admiral Shares:

I checked my international holdings and am not seeing this misclassification. I haven't independently verified the percentages to check the overall accuracy. 
  • dhammabob
    dhammabob Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Marcus seeing green = signs after every sync even though no new transactions were downloaded, is this a bug?
  • Quicken Marcus
    Rick2022 said:
    @Quicken Marcus

Un-connected accounts do not have any downloads to check nor do they have orange pencils.  The pencils only show up in connected accounts IF I manually enter a transaction or the entry is a transfer from another account (like paying a CC bill from checking).  The orange pencil shows up in the connected CC account for that "transfer".  Then turns to blue when a downloaded transaction matches.

I'm not sure why you think the blue dot should be triggered in un-connected accounts.  What would trigger it? There aren't blue dots inside nor orange pencils.
    In a manual/unconnected account, you can flag a transaction which turns the orange pencil on. This is when the blue dot will appear. This is how it works. 
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Rick2022 said:
    @Quicken Marcus

In a manual/unconnected account, you can flag a transaction which turns the orange pencil on. This is when the blue dot will appear. This is how it works. 
    So what you're saying is that a blue dot in the account sidebar will occur if there is a blue dot, a blue pencil or an orange pencil in the register.

Which pretty much makes this all worthless regarding un-reviewed downloaded transactions...especially if you have scheduled transactions that are automatically entered in connected accounts.  Those ALL have orange pencils added.

I've already given up on the "convenience" of the new setting...because guess what?  It's not convenient.  It's already worse than before.  Not sure who thought this through in development, but I don't think that's how the majority of Quicken Mac users want or need this to work. 

What we're looking for is if there is a blue dot or blue pencil in the register, then there's a blue dot in the sidebar.  All other register designations get ignored. Period. 

Just my two cents. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    jacobs said:
    As someone who enters manual transactions in unconnected accounts regularly, I want to weigh in agreeing with the several comments above that this is NOT helpful behavior. When I enter a transaction manually, I immediately get a blue dot on the account telling me I have transactions awaiting review. 
    Like I said before, this is a bug. It should not trigger a blue dot. It's fixed and just needs to be tested.  We'll probably roll it out on Monday. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    Austin@ said:

Austin, we're not able to reproduce this issue. Is anyone else seeing also seeing this problem? I'll reach out to you directly. There must be something unique about your data and the data of the other customers who are seeing this that isn't in our test files (or personal files) that is causing this to happen.  We may need your help to figure out what the issue is. Thanks.
  • jacobs
    @Quicken Marcus If it helps in reaching out to people about this date issue @Austin@ mentions above, I can refer you to this thread where four users reported seeing the same problem with Quicken Connect downloads:
    • user @SRC1954 reports transaction dates with Chase change when using Quicken Connect but not when using Direct Connect or Web Connect;
    • user @Michael Schmitt reports it with Quicken Connect for Elan Financial Services;
    • user @hmeloab reports it for Chase when using Quicken Connect;
    • user @Austin@ reports it for Capital One Card Services, Chase, Altabank, Venmo, & PayPal.
    (This was also discussed in a Beta thread here  by some of the same users.)
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭

What we're looking for is if there is a blue dot or blue pencil in the register, then there's a blue dot in the sidebar.  All other register designations get ignored. Period. 
    +1.

To summarize:
    • An unreviewed transaction should have a blue dot/pencil (and not an orange pencil - BUG)
    • An account in the sidebar should have a blue dot IFF there is a blue transaction in the account, irrespectively of whether or not this is a connected or unconnected account. (If the "Highlight accounts with unreviewed transaction" (or some new) option is ON.)
    I enter (most) transactions manually, and every now and then I download and reconcile, so I have a lot of orange pen transactions and they should not trigger the blue dot in the sidebar for that account.

After reconciliation, I sometimes mark transactions as unreviewed because I need to get information from my other half before considering the transaction as properly categorized. I use the blue pen to track this and I will be thrilled to have a blue reminder in the sidebar.

• glennmacc
    glennmacc Member ✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    @Quicken Marcus I welcome and applaud the improvements in this "Dashboard 2.0" release. Especially welcome is the ability to view and, optionally, edit the Asset Mixture which Quicken obtains from your third-party supplier, and the ability to view the Dashboard as of any date.

However, the Portfolio screen's Group by Asset Class continues to be badly broken because it is using the Asset Class of "Asset Mixture" rather than using the underlying asset mix we can now see and edit. Because I have a large percentage of my investments in mutual funds, all — 100% — of my 20-some mutual funds are lumped into a single line of Asset Mixture. Even bond funds which are 99.8% Domestic Bonds and 0.2% Cash are evaluated as "Asset Mixture" on the Portfolio screen. 

While it's great that the Dashboard uses the "x-ray" asset allocations which are much more refined, the Portfolio view needs to be using the same allocations. The Portfolio view can be printed, exported, sorted, and show a variety of stats one can't get from the Dashboard. 

I have and will continue to suggest lots of additional features and tweaks for the Dashboard as you continue to build its functionality, but I'm writing to urge you not to do any more work on the Dashboard until you fix what was broken with the 6.3 release six months ago on the Portfolio view, which many Quicken users depend on. Can you please tell us if this at the top of your development plans for a future 6.6 release? 
    I'd like to second jacobs' comments above, and add some thoughts from previous discussions about the investing aspects of QM.  I am very happy that the investment aspects of QM are being improved and already there is significant progress, though I absolutely agree with jacobs above about the portfolio.  Some version of an investment X-ray is one of my personal top priorities and having it work in the portfolio view is important.  I'd still like the X-ray to reach the specific security level (e. g. what % of a mutual fund is in Microsoft or whatever), but having the asset allocations is a large step forward.

That being said, I have another area of concern in investments, and what I believe is a bug in reports.  First in investments.   At the beginning of 2021, this is what I wrote as part of my wish list for 2021:

"An issue in investments is that there is no way to make a dividend tax-free in a non-retirement account. For instance, Muni’s in a taxable account cannot be shown to be tax-free, except by use of tags. To see the total of tax-free income, you must tag each of them as “Tax-Free Dividend” and include them in a report through the tag portion of the customize tab in the new report generator. I’d like to see that changed." 

"Another thing that really should be addressed is that there is an inconsistency in how Reinvested Dividends and Reinvested Capital Gains are treated. Reinvest Capital Gains cannot easily be included in budgeting. The only way to achieve this right now is to split a Reinvested Capital Gain into two transactions, as Capital Gain Income and then a security buy (as two separate transactions). This is strange because it is not the same as how Dividends are treated, where Reinvested Dividends can be included in the budget in one transaction because the category assigned to reinvested dividends is “Dividend Income”. The category automatically assigned to Capital Gains is “Reinvested Capital Gains” which is not a budget category, and in fact does not seem to exist anywhere else in the program. Note: this might not be bad if someone is starting from scratch, but many of us updating from QM2007 or other programs have hundreds of those transactions and dividing them all into two transactions too time-consuming, so our budgets go without Capital Gains. I expect that this is problematic for those who rely on Capital Gains for their primary income."

So these concerns are still valid I believe and I hope can be addressed now that the investment aspects of of QM are in the forefront of development team's planning.  The workaround for the Capital Gains issue is also in the use of tags.  I mark all of these capital gains as taxable capital gains or non-taxable capital gains, depending on the type of account it is in, then create a report to see the items with those tags.  But this does not help the budget itself, so I find the budget a pretty useless tool.  I rely almost exclusively on custom reports to analyze my "budget".

Now for the bug in reports that I have seen since 6.4 (it may have occurred earlier, but that was the first time I saw it, and maybe everyone knows about this and I am just behind, but here goes):

In a summary report over long periods of time, if you scroll the dates (years in this case) across the screen to see previous years, then scroll back to the more recent years, the column headers (year) and the resultant totals become misaligned (see images below, the first image is when you first open the report and columns are aligned, the second shows the misalignment).  If you click on a subtotal under a specific year, you actually get a detailed breakdown of a different year than you are expecting.  I know I am not explaining this very clearly, I am happy to discuss more fully if anyone is confused.  Can anyone else re-create this behavior?

As always, thanks for all of the efforts, QM is vastly improved in the 2.5 years that I have been using the new version, after 20 years of using the old QM.  

Glenn

• Robert Lynch
    Robert Lynch Member ✭✭
    @glennmacc I found this same issue a few weeks back. See my attached thread.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7901938/mac-reports-issues#latest

No monitors or anything has picked up, and I have reported the problem via a bug report as some in the thread suggested.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

"An issue in investments is that there is no way to make a dividend tax-free in a non-retirement account. For instance, Muni’s in a taxable account cannot be shown to be tax-free, except by use of tags. To see the total of tax-free income, you must tag each of them as “Tax-Free Dividend” and include them in a report through the tag portion of the customize tab in the new report generator. I’d like to see that changed." 

That's not true.  If you set the Security to "This security is tax-exempt" in the Security Details, the dividend will show up in the subcategory Dividend Income Tax-Free...which is a REQUIRED subcategory under the Investments category.  

• jacobs
    caram said:
    • An unreviewed transaction should have a blue dot/pencil (and not an orange pencil - BUG)
    @caram I disagree with your characterization of this as a bug. An orange pencil indicates a manual transaction in an account which is set up for downloads, while a blue pencil indicates a downloaded transaction which has matched with a manually-entered transaction. (In an account not set up for downloading, manual transactions should not get any icon.) You can manually set any transaction, manually-entered or downloaded, to be flagged for review. You might want to review this help page to see how the transaction icons are used.

caram said:
    • An account in the sidebar should have a blue dot IFF there is a blue transaction in the account, irrespectively of whether or not this is a connected or unconnected account. (If the "Highlight accounts with unreviewed transaction" (or some new) option is ON.)
    Well, unconnected accounts won't ever have any blue transactions, because blue signifies downloaded transactions.

caram said:

I enter (most) transactions manually, and every now and then I download and reconcile, so I have a lot of orange pen transactions and they should not trigger the blue dot in the sidebar for that account.
    This is why @RickO has suggested a third Activity Options setting for "Highlight accounts with downloaded unreviewed transactions". Such a setting would allow people with manually-entered transactions (orange pencil) in a connected account to not get a blue dot for the account for those manual transactions; the blue dot would appear only if there are unreviewed downloaded transactions. 
  • Shing
    Shing Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2021

That's not true.  If you set the Security to "This security is tax-exempt" in the Security Details, the dividend will show up in the subcategory Dividend Income Tax-Free...which is a REQUIRED subcategory under the Investments category.  

@glennmacc I can confirm what @garysmith87 said. I have a taxable investment account with a tax-exempt security. Dividends are categorized as tax-free provided the tax exempt box is checked in the security setup.