Create Pie Chart Report of Top Level Categories?

Pat Sills
Pat Sills Member ✭✭
edited January 2022 in Reports (Windows)
Hi,

I have top level expense categories, subcategories, sub-subcategories, etc. I do not make any transaction entries at the category level, only in sub-categories. Top level categories are used only to roll-up its subcategories. This all works great when I want to create a report by category & subcategories. The report rolls-up all subcategories and shows totals of top level categories.

But there doesn't seem to be any way to create a pie graph of only the rolled-up top level categories. The pie chart tool insists on including subcategories.

Of course, I can export the expense report to Excel and then massage Excel to create the pie chart I want, but that's a real pain-in-the-butt for a report that changes every day (my expense report shows trailing 12 months).

I don't believe this is possible with the current set of reports? If this is the case then this is a request for feature enhancement.

Thanks,
Ken Sills

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I believe that is true.  Whereas the budgets have both a way to select the top category meaning everything under it and another meaning just the top category (Other) the reports don't have that.  I you select just the top parent you are only going to get transactions that use that top category.

I might add that the pie graph doesn't even properly follow what is selected.
    Here is what I get when I have only selected the sub categories of Auto.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Pat Sills
    Pat Sills Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your reply.

I also find that pie charts are a bit flaky. In particular, I have a pie chart that shows asset allocation that I display on my home page. The total of that chart is $x. Then if I say Show Full Graph, I get a similar pie chart where is $y and y not equal to x! y close to x but not identical. This has been reported here for years with no fix. It's bizarre two seemingly equal pie charts are derived from different datasets, why?
    Ken
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Pat Sills said:
    Thanks for your reply.

I also find that pie charts are a bit flaky. In particular, I have a pie chart that shows asset allocation that I display on my home page. The total of that chart is $x. Then if I say Show Full Graph, I get a similar pie chart where is $y and y not equal to x! y close to x but not identical. This has been reported here for years with no fix. It's bizarre two seemingly equal pie charts are derived from different datasets, why?
    Ken
    That problem is usually caused by the fact that Quicken doesn't properly set all the needed filtering so that it is exactly like what is used on the Home page.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.