Problem download/update transactions from bank (5/3)

jack3585
jack3585 Member ✭✭
Using Quicken Premier R36.57 on Windows

Have both a checking account and savings account at 5/3. The checking update doesn't work. Goes through all the motions but nothing gets updated and no error messages. I did notice that when I click on the one-step update it lists all my accounts (savings and all credit card accounts) but not the checking account.

Any ideas?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That's odd since direct connect is usually very reliable. 

Do you have any other accounts at this bank, perhaps an account that doesn't have any/much activity?  Can you double check the account number for the account that doesn't download in Quicken (again - go to "Edit Account Details" > the "General" tab) and make sure it is the correct number?

Also - please open the Quicken "Account List"  (shortcut: Ctrl+A) and click on the "Show hidden accounts" checkbox in the lower left-hand corner of the window.  Then look at the "Financial Institution" column to make sure that there aren't any hidden accounts for Fifth Third that are connected.  This is unlikely, but I am reaching for straws here.

The only other suggestion I can think of now would be to deactivate and reactivate all of your accounts at Fifth Third.  Before you do that, make sure that you have a good recent backup file.

Let me know how these steps go.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Hi @jack3585

It sounds as though that one checking account may not be activated for download.  You can check this by opening the account register > then click on the little "Gear" icon in the upper right of the screen > then select "Edit account details" > then click on the "Online Services" tab.  Does the "Online Setup" box have a "Set up Now..." button?  If so, click on that and follow the prompts.

Get back to me if you have any followups.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jack3585
    jack3585 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your response. The account is activated but doesn't download any transactions. It does download the savings acct but not the checking (they both use the same password). I have been downloading transactions manually from the bank for a while now because I can't figure out what is wrong.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again  @jack3585

Can you again follow the steps I outlined in my last post (above) and go to the "Online Services" tab for that checking account once again.  In the "Online Setup" box  it should say:

"Financial Institution: Fifth Third Bank"    and right below that "Connection Method: ...

What does it say after "Connection Method? 

Frankx

• jack3585
    jack3585 Member ✭✭
    It says "direct connect"
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That's odd since direct connect is usually very reliable. 

Do you have any other accounts at this bank, perhaps an account that doesn't have any/much activity?  Can you double check the account number for the account that doesn't download in Quicken (again - go to "Edit Account Details" > the "General" tab) and make sure it is the correct number?

Also - please open the Quicken "Account List"  (shortcut: Ctrl+A) and click on the "Show hidden accounts" checkbox in the lower left-hand corner of the window.  Then look at the "Financial Institution" column to make sure that there aren't any hidden accounts for Fifth Third that are connected.  This is unlikely, but I am reaching for straws here.

The only other suggestion I can think of now would be to deactivate and reactivate all of your accounts at Fifth Third.  Before you do that, make sure that you have a good recent backup file.

Let me know how these steps go.

Frankx

• jack3585
    jack3585 Member ✭✭
    I had to deactivate and reactivate. When I reactivated, I had a problem with the checking account name but got it corrected. It seems to be working OK now. I really appreciate your help. Thank you.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @jack3585

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We are glad that your issue is now resolved. If you come across any other errors or have questions please let us know. 

-Quicken Paloma
This discussion has been closed.