If I purchase Quicken, when I connect to my bank accounts will it pull in all the transactions for t

sundayrest22
sundayrest22 Member
edited January 2022 in Before you Buy
Dear Quicken Community,
We are at the end of 2021. If I purchase Quicken, when I connect to my bank accounts will it pull in all the transactions for the year?
Thank you,
-Ethan

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    It depends on your bank, but typically no. Most banks limit online downloads to the past 90 days. However, your bank may have an option on their website for you to download a Quicken/QFX file with all your transactions from the past year; that file can them be imported into Quicken.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    It is very unlikely that Quicken will import all of 2021's transactions. Each bank sets the maximum timeframe available for transaction download, but it's almost always 90 days or less. 

If (1) the bank's website supports generating a Quicken file (QFX or OFX format) going further back, and (2) if Quicken supports uploads of QFX/OFX for that bank, then you would be able to import those older transactions. (If the bank can generate a QFX/OFX, then it's very likely Quicken will import it.)

If the only export format provided by the bank is CSV or PDF, there are converters out there that will convert to QFX. But these are not supported or authorized by Quicken. 

So bottom line, it depends on the bank, and to some extent to which version (QWin or QMac) that you'd be using. If you provide the bank name(s) and Quicken version, folks here could look up for you what's supported on Quicken's end.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @sundayrest22 ,

The short answer to your question is "probably not" but it actually depends on a couple of factors:

a) Quicken can connect with a large number number of banks, but it doesn't connect with all banks.  So the answer to your question depends on where you bank.

b) The time frame within which Quicken can "pull in" transactions "automatically" is limited - usually to the most recent 90 days (but this can vary by financial institution).  However, you may be able to use another method (not an automatic "pull in") to download files from your financial institutions and then import them into Quicken.  To my knowledge, there is no limit on how far back in time you can go using this downloading method, assuming the financial institution provides the files.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    It depends on your bank, but typically no. Most banks limit online downloads to the past 90 days. However, your bank may have an option on their website for you to download a Quicken/QFX file with all your transactions from the past year; that file can them be imported into Quicken.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • I shall give my bank a call then. Thank you for the help!
  • RickO
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    It is very unlikely that Quicken will import all of 2021's transactions. Each bank sets the maximum timeframe available for transaction download, but it's almost always 90 days or less. 

If (1) the bank's website supports generating a Quicken file (QFX or OFX format) going further back, and (2) if Quicken supports uploads of QFX/OFX for that bank, then you would be able to import those older transactions. (If the bank can generate a QFX/OFX, then it's very likely Quicken will import it.)

If the only export format provided by the bank is CSV or PDF, there are converters out there that will convert to QFX. But these are not supported or authorized by Quicken. 

So bottom line, it depends on the bank, and to some extent to which version (QWin or QMac) that you'd be using. If you provide the bank name(s) and Quicken version, folks here could look up for you what's supported on Quicken's end.
  • RickO
    I shall give my bank a call then. Thank you for the help!
    If it's just one bank, if you'd like to tell us the bank name, we can look it up for you in Quicken.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @sundayrest22 ,

The short answer to your question is "probably not" but it actually depends on a couple of factors:

a) Quicken can connect with a large number number of banks, but it doesn't connect with all banks.  So the answer to your question depends on where you bank.

b) The time frame within which Quicken can "pull in" transactions "automatically" is limited - usually to the most recent 90 days (but this can vary by financial institution).  However, you may be able to use another method (not an automatic "pull in") to download files from your financial institutions and then import them into Quicken.  To my knowledge, there is no limit on how far back in time you can go using this downloading method, assuming the financial institution provides the files.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• I checked online banking and I can select the option to export in a Quicken/Quickbooks file format for any start and end date. Thank you everyone for your help! Much appreciated.
  • RickO
    I checked online banking and I can select the option to export in a Quicken/Quickbooks file format for any start and end date. Thank you everyone for your help! Much appreciated.
    You're welcome. You will still need to know that the bank is on Quicken's list of banks to which it connects (you can't import a QFX file if the bank's not on this list). There are two ways to find this out: (1) call Quicken Support, or (2) tell us which bank and we can look it up for you.
This discussion has been closed.