How do Download Check Numbers from Wells Fargo

I just switched from Quicken for Windows (which I had been using for years) to Quicken for Mac. I converted the file, then downloaded some transactions from my Wells Fargo checking account.

The problem is the Check # for new downloaded transactions is blank.

After reading about a similar problem here, I created a new file from scratch. I linked my Wells Fargo checking account using Quicken Connect. The Check# field is still blank.

The interesting thing is that the "Payee" field briefly said something like "CHECK 1228", then changed to just "CHECK".

How can I get this working so I can see my check numbers?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I just switched from Quicken for Windows (which I had been using for years) to Quicken for Mac. I converted the file, then downloaded some transactions from my Wells Fargo checking account.

The problem is the Check # for new downloaded transactions is blank.

After reading about a similar problem here, I created a new file from scratch. I linked my Wells Fargo checking account using Quicken Connect. The Check# field is still blank.

The interesting thing is that the "Payee" field briefly said something like "CHECK 1228", then changed to just "CHECK".

How can I get this working so I can see my check numbers?
    Hello Steven K S,

I understand that it is very frustrating when columns appear blank or incomplete. I wanted to be sure: was it in the test file that you were able to get the check number to appear in the Payee field? Also, it may be beneficial to us if you reported the problem by going to 'Help>Report a problem' in the menu in the upper edge of the screen while Quicken is open.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • To be clear: In the test file, the check number did NOT appear in the "Check #" column. However, it did, BRIEFLY (for less than a second, then it was gone) appear in the Payee field. After the download was done, the check number column was blank.

Thanks for pointing out the "Report a problem" item. I will do that.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    To be clear: In the test file, the check number did NOT appear in the "Check #" column. However, it did, BRIEFLY (for less than a second, then it was gone) appear in the Payee field. After the download was done, the check number column was blank.

Thanks for pointing out the "Report a problem" item. I will do that.
    Steven K S,

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification, and I do look forward to hearing any updates from you if you have the time to drop back by the Community to let us know.

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steven:

I don't have a Wells Fargo checking account, so I have no first hand experience. However, you can try the following:

1) Highlight (select) a check in the register, then right-click (control-click) on that check and select Show Inspector from the pop-up menu. Here you can see the payee name the bank is sending, and separately the payee name that Quicken chose.

This inspector does NOT show the check number the bank is sending, if any. So that is a bummer. It might be possible to find that information in the "raw" data log that Quicken records. Go to Quicken menu: Help > Show Logs in Finder. Then look in either the HTTPLog.txt (Quicken Connect download) or the OFXLog.txt (Direct Connect download). I leave interpreting these logs as a last resort.

Now, I hope the following will be productive:

2) There are two mechanisms that Quicken uses to arrive at a final payee name for a downloaded transaction in the register:

a) Go to Quicken Preferences > Connected Services and note the option "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories". I don't think this is relevant to your situation, but you should be aware that it might change payees in strange and unexpected ways, if enabled.

b) Go to Quicken menu: Window > Payees & Rules. Under the Renaming Rules tab, you might have a rule for "CHECK", such that a payee of the form "CHECK nnnnn" => "CHECK". 

I am curious to hear what you find using the above suggestions.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • Thanks for the help.

1) The inspector says:
    Check #:
    Payee: CHECK
    Matching Status: Downloaded
    Quicken Name: CHECK
    Statement Payee: CHECK

Here's the record from HTTPLog.txt:
    RESPONSE BODY:
    {
    "metaData" : {
    "pageSize" : 6,
    "offset" : 7,
    "currentPage" : 1,
    "totalSize" : 6,
    "limit" : 200,
    "asOf" : "2021-12-31T02:49:51.371617Z",
    "lastRefId" : "306697690116052228"
    },
    "resources" : [
    {
    "id" : "307050033294660864",
    "state" : "CLEARED",
    "amount" : -150,
    "payee" : "CHECK 1270",
    "modifiedAt" : "2021-12-30T05:48:02Z",
    "matchState" : "NOT_MATCHED",
    "source" : "QCS_REFRESH",
    "type" : "CASH_FLOW",
    "accountId" : "306697653839059457",
    "coa" : {
    "type" : "UNCATEGORIZED",
    "id" : "0"
    },
    "postedOn" : "2021-12-29",
    "createdAt" : "2021-12-30T05:48:02Z",
    "cpData" : {
    "amount" : -150,
    "postedOn" : "2021-12-29",
    "inferredCoa" : {
    "type" : "UNCATEGORIZED",
    "id" : "0"
    },
    "id" : "202112282",
    "cpCategoryId" : "2002",
    "payee" : "CHECK",
    "inferredPayee" : "CHECK 1270",
    "txnOn" : "2021-12-29"
    }
    },

2a) The option "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" is checked. This must be the default because I didn't change it.

2b) There is a rule named "CHECK"

Now that you have the current state, is there a way I can change it to preserve the check numbers?
  • lhossus

I assume the financial institution name that Quicken associates with this checking account is “Wells Fargo Bank”, correct?

Wells Fargo Bank also allows Direct Connect connections with Quicken. Direct Connect is generally recommended over Quicken Connect for its superior reliability: there is no middle-man to mess up the download (assuming the Bank itself has done its part).

I would first try switching to Direct Connect, to see if that solves the check numbers problem.

You can switch by:

1. Go into Settings for the Account
    2. Click on Downloads tab
    3. Click on Change Connection Type
    4. On the Setup dialog that appears, click on gray Options button
    5. Select Direct Connect.

Try this first. If that is not successful (or you really don’t want to change to Direct Connect), then there are other things that can be tried.

Disclaimer: there have been reports in the past that Wells Fargo was changing a Fee for Direct Connect. Currently this fee appears to no longer apply. See Quicken and QuickBooks Desktop Online Banking Fees - Wells Fargo

Let us know how this goes.

• Thanks for sharing that link. The reason I didn't use direct connect before was I didn't feel it was right to pay for something that should be included. Now that they're not charging a fee, I'll try again.

When I tried that, I got this message: "The user has entered an invalid user ID or password. If registering for the first time, please login to https://www.wellsfargo.com/fmssetup to start the registration process."

So I went to that page, logged in, and answered the text. However, it's still not working. I'm going to try with a different browser and get back to the discussion.
  • Hi @Steven K S,

Thank you for your response, I have added some information on how to set up direct connect with Wells Fargo.
    First, you will need to go to this link: https://connect.secure.wellsfargo.com/auth/login/present?loginMode=jukePassword&serviceType=fms and sign in.

Once signed in a 10-minute timer will start for you to be able to connect it in Quicken. In Quicken, you select Wells Fargo Bank from the bank list and click the grey Options button (instead of Continue) and select Direct Connect. Then sign in with your same WF credentials and the rest is basically the same process as connecting Quicken connect. 

I hope this helps and look forward to hearing your response. 

Thank you, 
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Success! The direct connect worked.
    Now I wonder if I should do that for the Chase credit card as well.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited December 2021
    Hi @Steven K S,

Thank you for your response. We are so happy to hear that the direct connect worked for your Wells Fargo account! If you would like to proceed with doing the same with your Chase credit card although I do believe that Chase charges a fee for direct connect so if you decide to choose that route then please let us know how that goes as well. I have added a link to Chase's website where they speak of direct connect. 

https://www.chase.com/business/online-banking/control-cash-flow

If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Thank you, 
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• lhossus
    Very happy to hear the check number problem is solved with Direct Connect to Wells Fargo.

I have a Chase Freedom Visa credit card and use Direct Connect. It has been rock solid for me. And I am not charged any fees. YMMV.
This discussion has been closed.