Does Quicken still have a nag screen for expired subscriptions?

Lou_S
Lou_S Member
edited January 2022 in Before you Buy
I know this has been discussed in the past, just wondering if Quicken has rethought their position. I have an old copy of Deluxe 2016 that I would happily convert to a modern version, but only if they dropped the policy of monopolizing a substantial amount of screen real estate should I choose to not renew. A small "subscription expired" line of text would be fine, but harassing customers who dont find their hosted services valuable isn't. I submit that they should make people want to renew vs trying to nag customers into renewing.

Quite possible I would keep subscribing, so a "nag the customer" policy has done nothing but keep me from spending money that I'm willing to spend. If they no longer have the nag screen, I will buy an update today.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing has changed, if you let the subscription lapse about 25% of the window is taken up with two "ads" suggesting that you renew.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Lou_S said:
    A small "subscription expired" line of text would be fine, but harassing customers who dont find their hosted services valuable isn't. I submit that they should make people want to renew vs trying to nag customers into renewing.
    I agree with you, but apparently the executive at Quicken don't. They now have more than three years of data on subscription expirations and renewals, and they clearly feel that nagging/annoying customers gets them more renewals than not.

Fundamentally, they want you to pay for Quicken while you use it. If they lose people to some other product, so be it, but they don't want to lose renewals to people still using their own product without paying to support it. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • BMax
    BMax Member
    edited December 2021
    I have been a Quicken Deluxe user for many years but their renewal policy and cost is out of line. I can go to their website and purchase a new (in box) version for $20.00 less that their renewal fee. [Removed-Disruptive]
  • RTramp
    RTramp Member
    The ads are very annoying. Used Quicken for over 30 years. Buy desktop versions on disc every couple of years. Made the mistake of getting the 2020 version. I don't want the online subscription. I want to keep this discussion open to removing the ads if you pay for a desktop version you should be able to use it without the stupid ads.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    I understand the frustration with the ads.  A lot of people are frustrated with that.  It was even posed here as a product improvement idea to allow for the ads to be turned off but the response back from Quicken is that the ads will not be removed or turned off. 
    I'm pretty sure that what they want is to gently remind people who plan to resubscribe (or be coerced into doing it) which is good marketing.  I'm also pretty sure that they also have no desire/incentive to accommodate the wishes of ex-subscribers who will not resubscribe. 
    On the brighter side, after the subscription expires you do get to continue using Quicken manually (all editions except for Starter which will be read only) for as long as your operating system supports it without needing to resubscribe....even though the visual is not ideal.  That is far superior to most software companies which will simply turn off access to their software when the subscription expires.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RTramp if you can find yourself a Q2016 or Q2017 version, you can use Quicken without the ads. Your subscription version data file is backward compatible with Q2016 or Q2017. 

One tip if you do revert back to Q2016 or Q2017, I recommend not allowing Quicken to access the Internet. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    BMax said:
    I have been a Quicken Deluxe user for many years but their renewal policy and cost is out of line. I can go to their website and purchase a new (in box) version for $20.00 less that their renewal fee. [Removed-Disruptive]
    Make sure the "new in box" version isn't labelled NEW USERS ONLY.  Because you won't be able to extend your subscription using that version.  
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just create a new Quicken ID and you're a new user.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @BMax Longtime Quicken users were used to lower prices and buying their new versions at a discount, but that's just not the way it works any more. No matter how you look at it, they raised their prices. Yes, there are still discounts for new users, because they are trying to attract new users. But they have been slowly eliminating the ability for existing users to get the new user price. Today, from retailers, you can find some boxed copies which are marked for new users only, but there are still some which may work for existing users; it seems like they are getting those out of the market, so that the discounted copies sold at retail will only work for new users. Unless you want to start over with a new email address and new QuickenID each year to try to keep getting the new user price, you're probably going to need to pay the renewal price going forward.

When you say the price is "out of line," you need to think about whether it feels out of line based on what you're used to paying in the past, or based on what other comparable personal finance software costs. Some people may regard $50/year for Quicken as too much to pay. Others may evaluate the cost of cell phones, cable TV, streaming services, and other subscriptions and conclude that $4/month for Quicken is acceptable. Each of us has to decide what value we get from Quicken. If you believe there is a different product out there which meets your needs as well as Quicken for a lower annual cost, then you have an alternative. If you find that other products actually cost a similar amount, or lack features you find important in Quicken, then you accept the price and stop comparing to what it used to cost.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.