All account balances completely messed up today - discrepancy going back years

Timothevs
Timothevs Member ✭✭
This is nuts. I opened up Quicken to balance the books after the holidays only to notice a HUGE discrepancy in each of my accounts upon sync. Each account is off from $40 to $10,000 with transactions going back years. I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out where the problems crept in. Mind you, all was working before Christmas. I dutifully updated to 6.5.0, and I am wishing I hadn't. This will be almost impossible to correct.

Thoroughly disappointed.

And cherry on top -> AGGREGATOR_IN_ERROR (QCS_SERVER_ERROR:FDP-1400)

Version 6.5.0 (Build 605.42621.100)
macOS Monterey 12.1

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Do you have any backups of your data file? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, @Timothevs

Thank you for reaching out to report your issue, though I am very sorry for the trouble this issue has caused you. I know this is very frustrating and we do apologize for this error.

Have you restored from any backups prior to this issue presenting itself? If you have, did this issue affect these restorations as well or were you able to get you file back to normal?
    Additionally, regarding the error code you provided us with, what financial institution was the AGGREGATOR_IN_ERROR (QCS_SERVER_ERROR:FDP-1400) assicociated with? 

Again, we apologize for the error - once you have this additional information, please let us know so that we may assist you further if necessary. Thank you. 

-Quicken September
  • Timothevs
    Timothevs Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your quick responses.

Yes I had backups, and restored them, only to run into the same problems again.

That error in question is occurring with all my financial institutions - Ally, Amex, Chase, PenFed, etc, whenever I try to log in to the accounts again (which it made me do once I restored my backup file).
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Timothevs said:
    Thank you for your quick responses.

Yes I had backups, and restored them, only to run into the same problems again.

That error in question is occurring with all my financial institutions - Ally, Amex, Chase, PenFed, etc, whenever I try to log in to the accounts again (which it made me do once I restored my backup file).
    Timothevs,

Thanks so much for continuing to keep us updated. I am so sorry that the problem has yet to be resolved. Would you be willing to send a report about the issue? This would be possible by going to 'Help' in the upper menu while Quicken is open and then selecting 'Report a problem'.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • Timothevs
    Timothevs Member ✭✭
    Thanks, I just submitted a couple.
  • Timothevs
    Timothevs Member ✭✭
    Thoroughly disappointed. I contacted support, with screenshare and had them go through restore of a correct backup, setup Quicken cloud, and then sync, only for the transactions to get borked all over again.

Support solution was to add adjustments in 2020 that restore the correct balances in the present day. For a person who is very anal about attributing $ to the correct categories, having nearly 60k in adjustments is unthinkable. I am beyond pissed off at the labor of nearly 5 years going down the drain.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Timothevs said:
    Thoroughly disappointed. I contacted support, with screenshare and had them go through restore of a correct backup, setup Quicken cloud, and then sync, only for the transactions to get borked all over again.

Support solution was to add adjustments in 2020 that restore the correct balances in the present day. For a person who is very anal about attributing $ to the correct categories, having nearly 60k in adjustments is unthinkable. I am beyond pissed off at the labor of nearly 5 years going down the drain.
    Timothevs,

I am sorry to hear that the problem is troubling you even after your call with support. I understand that this is frustrating and I really appreciate that you reached back out to the Community about this.

Would it be expedient and record-satisfying if we tried adding the total of the adjustments to the opening balance, then removing them? Changing the opening balance might save you some work in this situation.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • Timothevs
    Timothevs Member ✭✭
    Maybe, but you see the problem is transactions that have for some reason moved from one account to another account for no apparent reason.

Example:

Payment from Ally Checking account to Discover credit card in May 2021 now shows as Payment from American Express Credit Card to Discover Credit Card (!) The scale of the problems is just immense, and not solved by just adjusting opening balances.
  • jacobs
    @Timothevs  I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but until you can get to the bottom of what changed in one of your accounts, it's pretty much impossible for people here to help troubleshoot your problem. Can you dig into one account -- pick one that's been around the least time or has the fewest transactions -- to try to figure out what changed. Are the accounts which changed all investment accounts, banking & credit card accounts, or both? 

You could try restoring from one of your backups again with your Internet connection turned off, so nothing can update. Even though it wants you to update, will it let you see your data so you can try to determine what changed?

Also, for trying with your backup data, you should be able to temporarily restore your version 6.4.5 application to open the data file, rather than opening it in 6.5. When Quicken installs a new version, it puts the old one in your Trash. If you haven't emptied your Trash since the update, it's still in there. It will be named something like "Quicken (605.42609.100)" and the modified date will be the date you installed the update. Drag that application out of the trash, and drag the backup file over the old application. 
  • Timothevs
    Timothevs Member ✭✭
    @jacobs, thanks, I have been doing just that. Luckily I have my quicken backups from the 20th, and the 23rd of December which when restored show transactions correctly before everything went crazy. I noted the balance in some of the smaller accounts which, post sync in 6.5.x, show incorrect balances. In all cases it seems like my transactions have moved from one account to another, without a trace in the original account.

As an example. Amazon Store Card — it should have a zero balance, but the last payment made in January 2021 does not show up at all. Instead, that payment that I made in January '21 shows in Quicken to have been made to American Express. What's bewildering is that Quicken shows that this payment to American Express has been made from _another_ credit card (instead of from my checking account originally). If you are following me so far — so here I have -270.03 in Amazon Store Card (since Quicken says it was never paid off), +270.03 in American Express (incorrect credit), and -270.03 in my Discover Card (incorrect debit), and since the original amount was never shown debited from Ally Checking, I have +270.03 in there (unaccounted because that transaction does not show up at all).

Do you see the cluster I am trying to get at here?

I do not have my Quicken 6.4.5 anywhere. I will try to see if I can find it somewhere and reopen my file from the 20th.
  • Timothevs
    Timothevs Member ✭✭
    Does anyone have a link to the 6.4.5 app anywhere? I cannot locate that version anywhere on my mac(s).
  • jander
    jander Member ✭✭
    I had a similar problem with a giant mess and a six-figure discrepancy in my account totals and net worth. I restored a backup and hunted down all the errors. Similar to you, I had a Citi credit card whose payments had not credited all the way back to August. I finally fixed the cash balances by fiddling the opening balance of various accounts. In my checking account, I chose to do a balance adjustment in the past month rather than change the opening balance as I didn't want to potentially screw up all the reconciliation I had done over the years. I have been a Quicken Windows user for 25+ years and don't recall ever having this much of a mess. This is the double whammy of being close to the end of the year. Ugh! I hope you get yours solved!
  • Quicken September
    Hello, @jander.

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to add to this thread. I am very sorry to hear that you are dealing with this issue as well.

For clarity and reporting purposes, would you mind elaborating on your experience a little? Did this issue occur after the latest update as well? The more specific information we have on this, the better off we are in finding a resolution. Thank you!

-Quicken September 
  • Hi @Timothevs,

Thank you for contacting the community with this question. In order to install a previous update of Quicken, you would need to roll back and then restore from a file that had not been opened nor created in the newer update. For example, you would roll back to July and then open a file from sometime in June. Unfortunately, the only other way to do this is if you were to receive an in-product prompt allowing you to install it. 

I apologize for the inconvenience, however, I hope you find this information useful. 

Thank you,
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• jander
    jander Member ✭✭
    My original problem occurred on 12/14, after I had to relink all my Schwab accounts and after a major Quicken update. Luckily I had followed instructions and created a backup file before the update. So I restored that update, which helped eliminate all the duplicate transactions that had gone back about 3 months. But the cash balances on my accounts were off and many transactions were wrongly recorded - credit card payments that went back into the same account instead of being debited from checking, for instance. I fiddled the opening cash balances on the investment accounts to correct totals. I also found I needed to manually update the price history on some mutual funds - that was a hard one to diagnose! I still have on issue. One mutual fund (Royce Special Equity) will not update its price history no matter what method I use. I need to look it up and manually update if I want my Quicken accounts to match my Schwab totals. This morning I Reported a Problem for this one.
  • Timothevs
    Timothevs Member ✭✭
    I am getting progressively more depressed as I read through @jander 's post. You seem to have the patience of a saint. I do hope there's an alternative, because if there isn't, and I need to go through each of my 22 odd accounts… I don't know if I have the mental fortitude for that.

I might need to just start afresh, and if I am doing that — why not a different app FWIW…
  • Timothevs
    Timothevs Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Jasmine said:
    > Hi @Timothevs,
    >
    > Thank you for contacting the community with this question. In order to install a previous update of Quicken, you would need to roll back and then restore from a file that had not been opened nor created in the newer update. For example, you would roll back to July and then open a file from sometime in June. Unfortunately, the only other way to do this is if you were to receive an in-product prompt allowing you to install it. 
    >
    > I apologize for the inconvenience, however, I hope you find this information useful. 
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Quicken Jasmine

Well that rules that option out. The last file I have is pre 6.50 I think from 12/20/2021. I think I need a stiff drink now.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Reset your cloud data.  Then turn OFF sync.  Don't turn it back on.

Then restore your last good data file.

See if that works then.

The sync process is corrupting your data file.  
  • Timothevs
    Timothevs Member ✭✭
    Thanks @garysmith87 , yes till I sync, all works fine. I can see my accounts as they were on December 20th, which is saving grace, and will serve me fine for tax season.

Only when I switch on Quicken Cloud, and a sync happens, boom all gets corrupted.

As it stands now, when I restore a backup, and switch on Sync, it sets up Quicken cloud again. But then it does something that immediately causes errors in my existing accounts even though sync hasn't been switched on for these accounts yet. At least I think it hasn't been switched on, because the accounts prompt me to reconnect.

I wonder if there is a way for support to delete sync data in the cloud, and "reset" sync completely - that might allow me to upload the local copy I have, and set up my accounts anew.
  • jander
    jander Member ✭✭
    Timothevs it helped that even though I have been using Quicken since 1995 or so, I had to relaunch about 3 years ago to keep in sync with the current software. So I don't have so far to go back to change opening balances and then check if I have created more chaos. (Did I mention I was swearing the whole 3-4 hours I was straightening out the mess?)
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Timothevs said:
    Thanks @garysmith87 , yes till I sync, all works fine. I can see my accounts as they were on December 20th, which is saving grace, and will serve me fine for tax season.

Only when I switch on Quicken Cloud, and a sync happens, boom all gets corrupted.

As it stands now, when I restore a backup, and switch on Sync, it sets up Quicken cloud again. But then it does something that immediately causes errors in my existing accounts even though sync hasn't been switched on for these accounts yet. At least I think it hasn't been switched on, because the accounts prompt me to reconnect.

I wonder if there is a way for support to delete sync data in the cloud, and "reset" sync completely - that might allow me to upload the local copy I have, and set up my accounts anew.
    With sync on, reset cloud data.  Then turn sync off.

On your mobile device, log off of the app. 

Then,go back to the desktop version.  To delete the cloud data set, you'll need to do that in another data file.  You can't delete the active cloud data set.

FILE > NEW.  Name the data file TEST.  Go to EDIT > PREFERENCES > Quicken ID and Cloud accounts. If you don't see the next prompt, then you'll have to turn on Sync to Mobile first in the TEST file.  

Click on Cloud accounts.  Then select the cloud account associated with your other active data file.  Don't worry...Quicken will re-create a new cloud account when you open your active data file again.  

Go back and turn off Sync to Mobile.

FILE > OPEN Quicken file.  Select your regular data file.

The cloud data set has been deleted and then reset.

Personally... the corruption you experienced is typical with using Sync to Mobile and Quicken Windows.  Almost all the superusers in this group agree that Quicken users should NOT be using the mobile or web based apps due to the risk of data corruption.  Therefore, with sync ON, I would uncheck all my accounts from the sync process and turn sync OFF...forever!

Not what you probably wanted to hear.  

Happy New Year.

• Quicken September
    Hello, @Timothevs.

Thank you for reaching back out to the Community with your update and thank you @garysmith87 for your suggestion! I apologize that you are still experiencing this error when Sync is enabled, however, I am happy to hear that progress is being made on this issue. 
    Resetting the Quicken Cloud does exactly this - I do know that you performed this reset before you restored the backup as per @garysmith87's method, however, have you tried to Reset Quicken Cloud now, after having restored from the backup? When you reset the Quicken Cloud, it deletes all of your cloud data and resyncs it anew from the data currently on your data file. 

I would recommend now that you have managed to restore a good copy of your data in a new file, resetting from this file as I believe this could do the trick.

-Quicken September
  • Timothevs
    Timothevs Member ✭✭
    Good morning, I am VERY happy to report that restoring version 6.4.5 solved all the problems! I opened my backup from 12/20 (Time machine to the rescue), and re-established Quicken Cloud, and re-entered the passwords.

Presto, the correct transactions downloaded, and there are NO phantom transactions anywhere in my bank accounts, credit card accounts, mutual funds, bonds, etc.

2021 is redeemed. Lesson learned - never be on the bleeding edge of Quicken updates. I will try to stay on 6.4.5 as long as it will let me. Not a smart thing to do, but man do I not want a repeat of this ever again. These have been very stressful few days. Good luck to all in the same situation.
  • Hi @Timothevs,

Thank you for your response. We are happy to hear that restoring the 6.4.5 build has resolved your issues!

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns. 

Thank you, 
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    edited December 2021
    @Timothevs The takeaway lesson is to make sure you're always generating Quicken data file backups, and that during a software update, you have a backup of the application as well. For major releases (e.g. 6.4.x to 6.5.x) Quicken should be moving your old application to the Trash. It might be a good practice immediately after an update to find the app in the Trash, pull it out, rename it to the version number you had been using (e.g. "Quicken 6.4.5.app") and stash it somewhere like your Documents folder for a while until you're sure you're over the hump with the new release anon longer need to consider reverting. Alternatively, if you have Time Machine backups, then you should always be able to restore an older version of the Quicken app from your Time Machine. 

In any case, I'm glad to hear you were able to get things back to normal and don't to pick up pieces from a disaster! At some point after year-end when you have a little time, make sure everything is fully backed up and try the update to the latest version again, to see if it goes smoothly this time or blows up your data again.
  • jjmc3
    jjmc3 Member ✭✭
    I have the exact same problem after updating to 6.5. Most of the accounts have random transactions moved from one account to another. I always paid bills from checking, but now many of these transactions are now moved to my money market account, and credit cards are paid from random selection of accounts. This update really screwed up the sync and accounts. Had to restore from pre-update file and revert back to 6.4.5.
  • edlasseter
    edlasseter Member ✭✭
    I am having a problem that appears to be very similar to the one described by Timothevs. I had several transactions going back to July 2021 being posted to the wrong accounts when I synced Quicken. All of these prior transactions had been reconciled, and two of the accounts to which the transactions were being wrongly posted were credit card accounts that were closed with the credit card company (and therefore no longer visible or accessible to me when I logged onto to my online credit card account) and were marked as "closed" in Quicken. As with Timothevs' issues, I believe my problems started with Quicken ver. 6.5.0 or 6.5.1, but I don't recall the dates I installed those updates, so I can't match up the date the problems started with either of the two new versions of Quicken.

In an attempt to solve the problem, I followed Timothevs apparent solution and re-installed ver. 6.4.5 last night (1/3/21). That seemed to work, although resetting the connection on 18 accounts was a royal pain. However, this morning the fun started all over again. When I hit the "download transactions" button, one account would not sync. I fixed that issue and popped the "download transaction" button again. This time, a different account would not sync. I fixed that. On the third download, all accounts synced - with two slight problems. There were 88 transactions over a 4 month period from one of my CapitalOne credit cards accounts that were duplicated and posted to another of my CapitalOne credit card accounts. In addition, another credit card account was missing 4 months worth of reconciled transactions.

I've decided that I need to place a thick leather strap between my teeth before I click on the "download transactions" button again to avoid damage to my expensive dental work. I've been using Quicken since the late 1980's, and this issue is the first time I've had a problem this serious with Quicken. The problem calls into question the reliability of Quicken. I can't afford to use an accounting program I can't trust, and I certainly don't want to use a program that causes me to make contact corrections. I've also decided I'm going to stop playing Sisyphus until I talk with tech support. I have a scheduled call with Quicken tech support this afternoon. I'll update my post with whatever solution (or lack) results from that call.
  • edlasseter
    edlasseter Member ✭✭
    Today (1/4/22) it appears that my issues have been resolved after more than an hour on the phone with Quicken tech support. Without going into detail about curing my problem with erroneously posted or missing transactions, the big fix was turning off the Quicken Cloud sync. That was done in Quicken ⇒ Mobile, Web & Alerts ⇒ Mobile & Web. Click the button to "off" in the Quicken Sync window, then ⇒ disable sync. I also deleted the quicken mobile app from my iPhone. Since I've done this, I have downloaded transactions several times with no problems. I don't have access to Quicken from my phone, but I discovered that I did not use the mobile app frequently, if at all. I have mobile apps for all my financial institutions and find using them to be for more convenient than the mobile Quicken app.
  • xLpAmpaz
    xLpAmpaz Member
    After hours of manual reconciling, I've gotten into the routine of backing up before each upgrade.

After the 6.5.1 update my bank that has multiple account types, checking, savings, loans was messed up. Naturally went to restore a backup and try again. The first thing I noticed was a message now saying that the file type is older and not associated with a cloud account. I must create a new cloud account to continue (and connect to online services, transactions, downloads, etc). That messed up the accounts even further! Called into support, spent 50+ minutes with a rep, just to get a "ref number" and no resolution.

After a few days, I came up with the least painful solution. NB this starts from a backup, the older the backup the more "new transactions" you will need to download from your institutions.

1. Restore backup.
    2. Go to Preferences-> Connected Services.
    3. When prompted, create the new cloud connection, BUT stop it immediately afterward.
    This will create a new empty cloud file to be loaded next.
    4. Go to settings of all your problematic accounts (or all if you're up to it). Settings-
    >Downloads->Disconnect. This will prevent the automatic downloading of repeat
    transactions.
    5. Update all accounts. This should bring up the status window and "Reconnect" on all or
    most accounts.

This should restore you to a clean state with the backup data as a starting point. However, I had to go one step further for my final cleanup. In my case, I have another computer to work with. I copied the backup file to the second computer and restored it there. That gave me access to clean history that was not available online from my banks and credit card companies.

One other way I came across if you are somehow able to get there, is if you have a clean set of data, go to Pref->Connected Services and choose the "Reset" button. That will push your clean data from your local machine to the cloud.
  • caldivergirl
    caldivergirl Member ✭✭
    I struggled with the issue of phantom transactions appearing since last Sunday. After many hours first trying to "correct" the errors only to have them occur again, 2 calls to tech support - one which blamed the problem on my fiddling with my categories, the second which blamed it on having a file that goes back to 2008 - many experiments, trying some of the fixes recommended on this thread, I finally isolated the problem to the download function. I had no success with turning off cloud sync as suggested above. Fairly certain these problems only began after I upgraded to 6.5.1 from 6.4.5. For now, until this issue is resolved by Quicken, I will no longer be able to download transactions. I will have to keep my accounts updated manually. I am going to log a ticket.
This discussion has been closed.