Bank of America....Quicken or All Other States?

Options
sullfam1
sullfam1 Member ✭✭
I have a PC laptop. I was using Bank of America - Quicken and all was well. I would click UPDATE and my transactions for my checking account downlaoded. I just tried this morning and it downloaded but the balance in my Quicken is off by ~$700. I tried to download direct from the BOA website and nothing downloaded. The only thing I noticed is that now I am using Bank of America - All Other states?

Any suggestions?

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again @sullfam1

On my being incorrect - I may be, but I was simply trying to answer your questions based on what I knew.  Also - I did caveat my response with the phrase "I strongly suspect" - which I think is self-explanatory.

With some hesitation, I can report that I have looked into the "BOA - All Other States" versus "BOA - Quicken" connection types.  I was unable to establish a connection using "BOA - All Other States" so I cannot explain the difference.  But I can potentially tell you how you can revert to your prior connection via the "BOA - Quicken" option. Before you do anything, please make a good backup file.

First you should disconnect the current connection by using the "Deactivate" button in the "Edit Account Details" > "Online Services" tab.  Next - go to the "General" tab and remove the financial institution name and the account number. Then close down your Quicken file and reopen it.  Next open up the register > click on the Gear icon and select click on "Set up online...". 

You will be presented with the window shown below - start typing "Bank" in the search box (as I've done below) and select the "Bank of America - Quicken" connection.  Follow the prompts to complete the connection.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I remember this happened at B of A many (maybe 20) years ago via Direct Connect. I was able to get it resolved by phoning B of A's online support.
    I suggest you try phoning the bank at 800-933-6262, press 9 for the list, and then either say “software help” or press 5. Make sure you can explain the issue in simple terms the phone agent will be able to understand.
    I am not seeing this issue currently via Direct Connect, so I assume those who are encountering it are using Express Web Connect (because they don't have the ability to use Direct). If this is the case, it is possible that the error is Quicken's, but I would suspect B of A first.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• sullfam1
    sullfam1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    ...and there is no error code.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @sullfam1

When you say "balance in my Quicken is off by ~$700" where is the difference and which way does it go?  Is it possible that you are missing transactions in your register or that you have an item that has not cleared the bank yet?  Any additional information will help us to help you.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Quicken Jade
    Quicken Jade Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank you @Frankx, this is definitely a good question to get a resolution to this problem. I would recommend that you continue to use BOA - All Other States @sullfam1. Another thing I'd check is if you have duplicate accounts that got downloaded.
    - Quicken Jade
  • sullfam1
    sullfam1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hello.....@Frankx, the balance in my bank account is showing more than what is in Quicken. There are 5 transactions that have not cleared the bank yet, but they are accounted for in Quicken already. Quicken Jade.....As for "recommend that you continue to use BOA - All Other States". Why is this? What is the diofference? I had no issues when I was using BOA-Quicken.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again @sullfam1

If, as you say, "there are 5 transactions that have not cleared the bank yet" then if you add those 5 items up I strongly suspect that they will equal the ~$700. amount that "Quicken is off by".  Those are items in transit that the bank isn't aware of (and won't account for) until they are presented to the bank.  Those items are already accounted for in Quicken, but not by the bank.

Frankx  

• sullfam1
    sullfam1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, but you are incorrect. The items have not cleared the bank yet, but are included in the banks balance. They are holds, so the amount is deducted from the Daily Balance. The transactions are also already deducted from my Quicken register. if you can answer what is the difference from using BOA Quicken or All Other States that would be great. Thanks.
  • radarchief75
    radarchief75 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have the same issue. BOA is now including pending transactions in the balance figure...I've been trying to figure out why my balance is always off, even when accounting for pending transactions. I went through 3 months' worth of transactions and found several duplicate transactions (which had been happening with my USAA credit card) and 2 missing transactions. Very frustrating as I've been using quicken since the mid-90's.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again @sullfam1

On my being incorrect - I may be, but I was simply trying to answer your questions based on what I knew.  Also - I did caveat my response with the phrase "I strongly suspect" - which I think is self-explanatory.

With some hesitation, I can report that I have looked into the "BOA - All Other States" versus "BOA - Quicken" connection types.  I was unable to establish a connection using "BOA - All Other States" so I cannot explain the difference.  But I can potentially tell you how you can revert to your prior connection via the "BOA - Quicken" option. Before you do anything, please make a good backup file.

First you should disconnect the current connection by using the "Deactivate" button in the "Edit Account Details" > "Online Services" tab.  Next - go to the "General" tab and remove the financial institution name and the account number. Then close down your Quicken file and reopen it.  Next open up the register > click on the Gear icon and select click on "Set up online...". 

You will be presented with the window shown below - start typing "Bank" in the search box (as I've done below) and select the "Bank of America - Quicken" connection.  Follow the prompts to complete the connection.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I remember this happened at B of A many (maybe 20) years ago via Direct Connect. I was able to get it resolved by phoning B of A's online support.
    I suggest you try phoning the bank at 800-933-6262, press 9 for the list, and then either say “software help” or press 5. Make sure you can explain the issue in simple terms the phone agent will be able to understand.
    I am not seeing this issue currently via Direct Connect, so I assume those who are encountering it are using Express Web Connect (because they don't have the ability to use Direct). If this is the case, it is possible that the error is Quicken's, but I would suspect B of A first.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Quicken Jade
    Quicken Jade Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @sullfam1, the reason I recommend BOA All other States is that occasionally banks update their security and the way they connect to third parties. At this time, that is the login portal we recommend customers use as it's updated. Your pending balances may be factored into your balance on Bank of America's site, however, Quicken does not get that information until the transactions are cleared so your online balance in Quicken includes only your posted transactions hence the discrepancy. 
  • sullfam1
    sullfam1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hello Quicken Jade.... Thank you for the explanation. Very helpful. I managed to open up one of my backup files and all is well now. Happy New Year
  • Quicken Jade
    Quicken Jade Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm glad to hear your issue is resolved! Happy New Year to you as well and thank you for participating in our community :smile:@sullfam1
    - Quicken Jade
  • Wanderer123
    Wanderer123 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Options
    Hello,

Sorry to rehash this again, and maybe you can give me a quick explanation. Prior to October 2021, the online balance shown in Quicken after downloading using 'Quicken-Other States' [Express Web Connect] would not include pending transactions, so reconciliation was very easy. Since around October, the online balance I am seeing in Quicken when I do a download is the same as the balance I see in the BofA app - which has pending transactions deducted. This means that in order to reconcile within the program I have to manually mark the pending transactions as cleared.

Any idea what caused this change in behavior? Was it a change in Quicken or a change in BofA's reporting through whatever API is being used? I believe I have seen this in some other accounts, so I am thinking it is Quicken, but I have not examined it thoroughly enough to be sure.

Thanks.
    Jay
This discussion has been closed.