How to create a new quicken file, AND......?

deex2
deex2 Member ✭✭
I need to create a new file because my current one is corrupt.

**I know how to create a new file.
***I know you are suppose to transfer data using the QIF, I believe but have never done.

****What I really want and need to know is, HOW do I transfer all my data to the new clean file without duplicating transactions as I want my transaction history, most of it anyway, from my old file to be in my new file?

>>>

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    deex2 said:
    I need to create a new file because my current one is corrupt.
    How did you come to this conclusion? More details, please.
    If you haven't done so already, the first thing I would do is to create a copy of the data file using File / Copy or Backup File / Create a copy or template, selecting a new file name.
    When successful, switch to the copied file and see if the problem still persists.
    Running a file validation (both Validate and Supervalidate) of the copied file might also help resolve some issues.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

• deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > How did you come to this conclusion? More details, please.If you haven't done so already, the first thing I would do is to create a copy of the data file using File / Copy or Backup File / Create a copy or template, selecting a new file name.
    > When successful, switch to the copied file and see if the problem still persists.Running a file validation (both Validate and Supervalidate) of the copied file might also help resolve some issues. Advanced
    > Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

I came to this conclusion after creating a "new (test) file", per "Quicken Support Reps" instruction and the issue's i was having stopped to. And then was told to use the new file and if i wanted my transaction history to do a transfer with QIF, but gave me no details on how to do this and not duplicate info.

I did both validate and S validate didn't find any problems.

From my understanding a "copied or template" file is just that a copy/template and NOT a workable file anymore.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be helpful if you posted your original problem.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2021
    [Removed - Disruptive]
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Have a look at this:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html

Note basic instructions:
    File -> File Export -> QIF File... (select all options and all accounts)
    In new file:
    File -> File Import -> QIF File... (select all options and all accounts)
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2021
    .... to new file without duplicating transactions.... I "tried" doing what the support person said but it doesn't seem to be working or I'm doing it wrong.

Background:
    My Quicken file I have been working off of had been having issues, errors.... tech support said create a new TEST file to see if the problems persisted and they did not. They suggested I create a new file and work off of that.

The issue/concern I have is I would like to have my transaction histories (I have multiple accounts not just one or two) transferred over to the NEW file even if it is only for the last couple of years, for both my checking and my multiple savings accounts.

I recently asked a similar question but in regards to whether or not my "Planning/Goals" data would transfer over ( I also have multiple of those which correlate with the various savings... I have) and was told that it would, but in fact it does with both QIF and QFX export/import.

What I do with my multiple savings and linked goals is kind of like the envelop system, where I transfer the money out of the actual savings section in Quicken and move it to the appropriate goal thus the related/linked savings shows a zero balance. (not looking for opinions on my method or reasoning for doing this, but I will say I am a landlord of only a few years and this/my method is helping me budget/organize..). ******NOW when I tried importing info from my corrupt file into the new file all of my GOAL dollar amounts/balances are correct, BUT all of the SAVINGS dollar amounts are (which should be ZERO are all over the place, for example it says I have over 100k in my checking when that isn't even remotely true.

I'd really like to get most of not all of my transactions history for the last couple of years over if I can can anybody try to help me???? :s
  • deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Have a look at this:
    > http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html
    >
    > Note basic instructions:
    > File -> File Export -> QIF File... (select all options and all accounts)
    > In new file:
    > File -> File Import -> QIF File... (select all options and all accounts)

Thanks Chris for trying to help, I understand how to do what you mentioned above, but didn't/doesn't answer my complete question and or problem that I wrote about. I just posted another question, written somewhat differently and hopefully clearer.... for the same issue, perhaps you can take a look at that when and if you have a moment.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but now that I know you are talking about Savings Goals the answer is that you can't do it.

There isn't anything in Quicken that will correctly transfer savings goals to another data file.
    Signature:
  • deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > I'm sorry, but now that I know you are talking about Savings Goals the answer is that you can't do it.
    >
    > There isn't anything in Quicken that will correctly transfer savings goals to another data file.

Re-read my post/question. The savings goals balances did transfer correctly. I want the transactions history for my actual savings accounts and checking to transfer over.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    deex2 said:
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > I'm sorry, but now that I know you are talking about Savings Goals the answer is that you can't do it.
    >
    > There isn't anything in Quicken that will correctly transfer savings goals to another data file.

Re-read my post/question. The savings goals balances did transfer correctly. I want the transactions history for my actual savings accounts and checking to transfer over.
    I understood the question, and the answer is still not possible.

Yes, I understand that the transactions in the Savings Goals accounts transferred, and also that the transactions in the other accounts transferred but duplicated.

The QIF format was created long before Savings Goals existed and haven't been updated in many years.

Savings Goals have a very special connection between the parent account and the Savings Goal account and the QIF format has no syntax in it to describe this relationship.  So, there is zero chance of reconstruction Savings Goal accounts linked together with the parent accounts in the same manner.
    Signature:
  • deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > I understood the question, and the answer is still not possible.
    >
    > Yes, I understand that the transactions in the Savings Goals accounts transferred, and also that the transactions in the other accounts transferred but duplicated.
    >
    > The QIF format was created long before Savings Goals existed and haven't been updated in many years.
    >
    > Savings Goals have a very special connection between the parent account and the Savings Goal account and the QIF format has no syntax in it to describe this relationship.  So, there is zero chance of reconstruction Savings Goal accounts linked together with the parent accounts in the same manner.

*****OK lets try this again. Lets leave the "savings goals" out of the equation, lets just work on the Savings accounts. The the export/Import I did did NOT duplicate the transactions but what did happen is as stated above, odd amounts in all of the accounts.

So In your opinion there is no way to transfer over any or all of my transaction history from my corrupted SAVINGS accounts to my NEW file SAVINGS accounts?
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    If your file is corrupted beyond repair, the only way to de-corrupt it is to start a brand new data file. 
  • deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    > @garysmith87 said:
    > If your file is corrupted beyond repair, the only way to de-corrupt it is to start a brand new data file. 

No really. You didn't read my full post/question did you.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    deex2 said:
    So In your opinion there is no way to transfer over any or all of my transaction history from my corrupted SAVINGS accounts to my NEW file SAVINGS accounts?
    You are switching between a couple of different subjects here.

My opinion is that there isn't any way to transfer over Savings Goals properly, as in reconstruct them exactly how they were in your old data file.  You will certainly get both the "parent account" and the "savings goal account" transferred.  I haven't tested all the ramifications like if there will be duplicate transactions, and such so "how much" you will be able to reconstruct is something I don't know the exact answer to.

As for your corrupted savings accounts (assuming you are talking about regular/non savings goals accounts), by the very nature of "corrupted" it is impossible to tell exactly what you will get.
    Signature:
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    deex2 said:
    > @garysmith87 said:
    > If your file is corrupted beyond repair, the only way to de-corrupt it is to start a brand new data file. 

No really. You didn't read my full post/question did you.
    I read it perfectly.  And none of us appreciate your snark. I suggest if you really want help here, you change your tone.  We are all just fellow Quicken users.  None of us work for Quicken. 

My Quicken file I have been working off of had been having issues, errors.... tech support said create a new TEST file to see if the problems persisted and they did not. They suggested I create a new file and work off of that...

I'd really like to get most of not all of my transactions history for the last couple of years over if I can can anybody try to help me???? s

If your original file is corrupted...and you've gone through the validate/supervalidate process...and your file is still corrupted, you can go through all sorts of motions but you'll still get garbage trying to export a corrupted file and then importing that corrupted file.

What don't you seem to understand? There is no magic solution that anyone is hiding to un-corrupt an irretrievably corrupt Quicken data file aside from restoring a backup that isn't corrupted...which may go back days, weeks, months or even years sometimes.  And then you'd have to fill in all the missing transactions from that date and time.  

Creating a new TEST file, which is now uncorrupted is great from a starting over point.  Getting those old corrupted transactions into the new uncorrupted TEST file won't magically uncorrupt them.  If you have poison in one bottle, when you move the contents of that bottle to another, that new bottle is still filled with poison.  
  • deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    > @garysmith87 said:
    > I read it perfectly.  And none of us appreciate your snark. I suggest if you really want help here, you change your tone.  We are all just fellow Quicken users.  None of us work for Quicken. 
    >
    > My Quicken file I have been working off of had been having issues, errors.... tech support said create a new TEST file to see if the problems persisted and they did not. They suggested I create a new file and work off of that...
    >
    >  I'd really like to get most of not all of my transactions history for the last couple of years over if I can can anybody try to help me???? 
    >
    >
    > If your original file is corrupted...and you've gone through the validate/super validate process...and your file is still corrupted, you can go through all sorts of motions but you'll still get garbage trying to export a corrupted file and then importing that corrupted file.
    >
    > What don't you seem to understand? There is no magic solution that anyone is hiding to un-corrupt an irretrievably corrupt Quicken data file aside from restoring a backup that isn't corrupted...which may go back days, weeks, months or even years sometimes.  And then you'd have to fill in all the missing transactions from that date and time.  
    >
    > Creating a new TEST file, which is now uncorrupted is great from a starting over point.  Getting those old corrupted transactions into the new uncorrupted TEST file won't magically uncorrupt them.  If you have poison in one bottle, when you move the contents of that bottle to another, that new bottle is still filled with poison.  

****Gary, I'm not being snarky. It is just frustrating when I get a one lined response which isn't remotely helpful and reiterates something that said I have already done. I appreciate the help that you/others try to offer; I am aware that none of us/you work for Quicken. Finally please don't include others in YOUR interpretation of my posts/responses. Your one lined response also had a tone.
  • deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > You are switching between a couple of different subjects here.
    >
    > My opinion is that there isn't any way to transfer over Savings Goals properly, as in reconstruct them exactly how they were in your old data file.  You will certainly get both the "parent account" and the "savings goal account" transferred.  I haven't tested all the ramifications like if there will be duplicate transactions, and such so "how much" you will be able to reconstruct is something I don't know the exact answer to.
    >
    > As for your corrupted savings accounts (assuming you are talking about regular/non savings goals accounts), by the very nature of "corrupted" it is impossible to tell exactly what you will get.

****Chris, do you know how to transfer transaction history from an old data file to a fresh new one without getting duplicate transactions??

1. Do I create a new clean file and connect and download transactions directly from the bank for my regular savings accounts (without duplication of entries)

OR
    2. Do I create a new file, Export/Import a QIF or QFX? with info from the old file (in order to get the transaction history) for my regular savings accounts (without duplication of entries)

OR

3. Is there some other method to get my regular savings transaction history in to the new clean file (without duplication of entries)

OR

4. Am I S.O.L. on getting the transaction history
  • deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > How did you come to this conclusion? More details, please.If you haven't done so already, the first thing I would do is to create a copy of the data file using File / Copy or Backup File / Create a copy or template, selecting a new file name.
    > When successful, switch to the copied file and see if the problem still persists.Running a file validation (both Validate and Supervalidate) of the copied file might also help resolve some issues. Advanced
    > Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

****Hi again Chris, this was my original question ( I have two similar going on here). In your opinion, based on what you said above. If my main data file which is acting up, corrupt in some areas, wouldn't making a new template/copy of it also make a copy of the damaged/corrupt.... issues? Or if I were to create a whole new file and QIF/QFX import info, wouldn't that transfer over the damage as well? I know you aren't an expert on any of this but you seem fairly knowledgeable on the matter thus far.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    OY.  Here we go again.

If your data file is corrupted...if you haven't fixed that corruption by using Quicken's validate and repair or supervalidate processes...or if you haven't been able to restore a non-corrupted data file...

The answer is you're SOL on getting the transaction history.  

You keep asking the same questions over and over again...hoping you'll get a different answer.  There's a word for that.  
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Creating a copy/template may or may not copy the corruption over, no telling.
    With QIF most likely most of the corruption wouldn't transfer because the format is so different, but some kinds of corruption might transfer.

QFX import is from the financial institution and as such there isn't any "damage" to transfer.
    Signature:
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think he's mistaking .qfx for .qxf.  
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    @deex2 What you choose to do it up to you I can't answer what is best for you.

I will mention one more thing and that is QXF (not QFX).  QXF format was originally created to export a Quicken Windows data file to import into Quicken Essentials Mac's data file.  Quicken Essentials Mac didn't support investment accounts.  Later QXF import was put into Quicken Windows supporting pretty much up to this level, and that is where it has sat till now.  In the meantime Quicken Essentials became Quicken Mac with support for investment accounts and the Quicken Mac developers modified the Quicken Windows QXF to export the investment accounts.  But nothing was changed for the Quicken Windows QXF import, and such it will not import the investment accounts, only non-investment accounts.  It also knows nothing about Savings Goals and as such just like with QIF it will create the accounts, but will not put them back as real supported Savings Goals.

EDIT:  On the subject of will the corruption transfer for QXF, it depends on the type of corruption.  Whenever you run data through a different format it is possible that it might clean it up, or it might not change the result at all, or it might make it worse.  Only your testing of your data will give the full answer.

QXF format is the format that financial institution's send their transactions in, there isn't any exporting of QFX format, and the QXF format doesn't support categories or splits that is done by Quicken/reminders and manual entry/matching at the time of importing the downloaded transactions.  And how well you can recover with this depends on how far back your financial institutions will export of the transactions, and how willing you are to repeat all the work you did when you first downloaded those transactions.
    Signature:
  • deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    > @garysmith87 said:
    > OY.  Here we go again.
    >
    > If your data file is corrupted...if you haven't fixed that corruption by using Quicken's validate and repair or supervalidate processes...or if you haven't been able to restore a non-corrupted data file...
    >
    > The answer is you're SOL on getting the transaction history.  
    >
    > You keep asking the same questions over and over again...hoping you'll get a different answer.  There's a word for that.  

Now, now Gary don't be "snarky" :D , I might have been asking the same question or similar versions of it because the individuals who are responding, and thank you, are only answering portions of my question, so i haven't been getting a clear idea of what to do. Never mind I give up.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you can't get your corrupted data from your old file to a new file...the rest of your question is moot.  Your savings goals won't have the transactions associated with it if you can't port over the transaction history. 

Case closed. 
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @deex2, in both your conversations, I don't remember you posting why you feel there is corruption in your Quicken data file. I put little faith in Quicken Customer Support when they have customers create new data files which work and then say, "Ah Ha!!! Your data file is corrupt!". What is the exact problem you're experiencing?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't remember if this link was posted in one of your threads, so I'm going to post it again here, this has details on the trying such using QIF:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html
    Signature:
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @deex2 you most certainly can use QIF to recreate the data from a corrupted Quicken file to a new Quicken file. QIF is very bare bones - stripped of any of the complexity where the corruption is going to be. 

It will be a lot of work, though. Chris' tools for QIF import will be helpful. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    deex2 said:
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > It would be helpful if you posted your original problem.

It would be nice to have my question answered
    @deex2
    The reason for asking what the original problem was that support said was caused by corruption is that is pretty much the default support answer to any problem that is not in their script. If your file is not truly corrupted, the whole need to export/import to a new file would not be necessary. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    > @mshiggins said:
    > @deex2
    > The reason for asking what the original problem was that support said was caused by corruption is that is pretty much the default support answer to any problem that is not in their script. If your file is not truly corrupted, the whole need to export/import to a new file would not be necessary. 

****I know the techs have their scripted responses one of which is always "have you created a new/test file..." it can be very annoying.

Part of the problems I was/am having with my "original" file is for example, at the beginning of the month I receive my tenants rent payment. A few days after that the check is divided/broken up and distributed to various savings, that I have set up with my bank and this happens every single month. This system has been working fine for several years in general and within Quicken and my bank, until recently (several months ago) money intended for one savings/category is ending up in another category sometimes in multiple categories (money intended for lets say repair/maintenance is showing up in my heath/wellness account and sometimes in a second category with in the same update....and this is happening in multiple accounts.

>>Another recurring issue, tags are getting all jumbled up and missed tagged; ex. Savings account for let say DMV is tagged, personal savings or gifts....

>>>Another issue recurring, I balance at the end of every month, but lately in several accounts not always the same one I will have random money usually excess throwing my account off and there is NO transaction accounting for or correlating with it within Quicken or my bank, so I'm having to adjust off.... several accounts last few months.

>>>Another issue I have been having is I'm getting duplicate transactions, randomly
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A terminology issue: Do you have several actual accounts at the bank that you use for different purposes, or are you talking about what Quicken calls Categories - different types of income or expenses?

And when you refer to Tags, do you also mean Categories? Normally you would use Categories for different types of expenses - maintenance, utilites, auto expenses, etc. and you might use Tags to identify different properties or projects.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.