Location and encryption of data backup files

donreid
donreid Member
What is the default location of the data backup files on a Mac and can they be encripted?

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    The default location is a folder inside the folder where you have your Quicken data file. By default, it's in your User folder, in the Library folder (hidden by default), in Applications Services > Quicken. But you can set the location of your backup files in Preferences > General.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Another option would be to create an alias to the folder in Library > Application Support and put that alias in the Documents folder. You could then freely continue to sync the Documents folder to iCloud Drive without issue.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    The default location is a folder inside the folder where you have your Quicken data file. By default, it's in your User folder, in the Library folder (hidden by default), in Applications Services > Quicken. But you can set the location of your backup files in Preferences > General.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    To address the 2nd part of your question: If the original file is encrypted (as set in Preferences > Security), then the backup will be encrypted. If it is not, then the backup is not.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I got fed up searching for the data file in a Hidden Mac folder.

I created my own folder in Documents and moved the data file there...without any ill effects.

But, just a note...I do NOT automatically sync my Documents folder with iCloud.  You need to uncheck that setting in Mac Preferences > Cloud.  
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    Another option would be to create an alias to the folder in Library > Application Support and put that alias in the Documents folder. You could then freely continue to sync the Documents folder to iCloud Drive without issue.
  • donreid
    donreid Member
    Thanks Everyone - very helpful helping me in managing my Quicken files.
This discussion has been closed.