Quicken crashes when I try to add second Vanguard account

My spouse and I both have Vanguard accounts - his 401k and my IRA, plus a joint account. When either of us logs in to Vanguard, we can see the joint account. I was able to add my account which brought in the joint. When I try to add his, it tells me "we found these accounts" but the window is blank. When I click the connect button, Quicken crashes. I've logged out and back in, rebooted the pc, etc. Any ideas?? thanks

Answers

• Quicken Jade
    Quicken Jade Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello, @dock55 I am sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue.  Can you please try validating and repairing your file? Here are the steps on that, let me know if this works!
    File > Validate and Repair File and select the Validate file option. This is to ensure there are no lingering issues with the data in this file.
    - Quicken Jade
  • dock55
    dock55 Member
    Hi there Quicken Jade. Thank you for the suggestion. I tried this - twice - and it still crashes when I try to add our second account. Any other idea?
  • Quicken Jade
    Quicken Jade Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Can you please see if it works in a test file @dock55? Here are the steps, 
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.
    Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

2. Select New Quicken File.

3. Click OK.
    4. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. 

Here are the steps to switch back to your main file

Quicken will list the most recently opened files so you can access and switch between them from the File menu.

1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the option list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a check mark next to the file you are currently viewing.

• dock55
    dock55 Member
    Hello again,
    I tried the test file per the instructions. This time I added my husband's account first, which was successful. Attempted to add mine (twice) still causes the crash.

I appreciate the help. Any other ideas?
    Thank you!
  • @dock55,

Thank you for the update!

Some financial institutions only allow you to use one set of credentials in third-party apps like Quicken. It sounds like this may be the case here. You would need to contact Vanguard in order to confirm this is the case.

In the meantime, you can use one set of credentials in your main Quicken file, and the other set of credentials in the new file that you just created. This way you can use Quicken to track both still. Although this is not ideal, if Vanguard has set a limitation like this, unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to change it from our end. 

Hope this helps!

Quicken Alyssa