How can I reconcile the # of shares held in a brokerage/401k account?

bethwr
bethwr Member ✭✭
Occasionally the number of shares of mutual funds in Quicken gets out of sync with the actual number. When I try to perform a reconciliation, Quicken only allows me to reconcile the cash in the account.

If I recall back to my old Quicken PC days, I think I was able to reconcile all of the holdings.

Do I have to go in and manually "buy/sell" shares to correct it?

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    If you are syncing the account to the brokerage, Quicken should be automatically creating Placeholder transactions to account for any difference in share balances. 

But in QMac, there is no reconcile function for security holdings. Here's an idea post that you can vote for on the subject:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7861875/reconcile-using-share-balance-instead-of-cash-value-in-mac-version-4-legacy-votes#latest

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You can only reconcile the cash amount and not securities.

If you wish to adjust shares, then you (likely) would use Add/Remove as this won't affect cost basis/cash balance. You do have the option to enter the possible missing cost basis with the Add Shares if needed.

If this as online connected account, I would wait a few days for all transactions to download/balance updates before I start making add/remove shares transactions. I have some brokerage accounts which have a disconnect between funds purchased and total held on the same day. The balances usually resolve in a day or two without my intervention.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    bethwr said:
    Occasionally the number of shares of mutual funds in Quicken gets out of sync with the actual number. When I try to perform a reconciliation, Quicken only allows me to reconcile the cash in the account.

If I recall back to my old Quicken PC days, I think I was able to reconcile all of the holdings.

Do I have to go in and manually "buy/sell" shares to correct it?

Thanks in advance!
    Hello @bethwr,

I understand that issues with investment accounts reporting the correct information can be frustrating, and I thank you for choosing to seek information here on the Quicken Community. If I might ask, what financial institution are you noticing this problem with?

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • maeagle
    maeagle Member ✭✭
    I am contiuing to have problems with stock options not reconciling with Schwab. Schwab says 2 and Quicken says 200. I know 2 means number of contracts with each contract equaling 100 shares. ...so downloaded prices are on a per share basis not per contract. Quicken must show the number of shares in order for account balances to agree. This was not a problem before the Schwab transition...so why can't someone get this fixed?
This discussion has been closed.