Missing Starting and Ending Balances on Transactions Reports

My prior transaction report on 12/24/21 listed both transactions as well as beginning and ending balances, which has been the norm for years. However, my most recent transaction report on 12/31/21 does not display starting and ending balances. My question is WHY? (I am running the latest build: Version R37.62 Build 27.1.37.62)
Tagged:

Best Answer

• NanaB
    NanaB Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    OK, I've fixed it. Strange that the solution worked as it did, but I opened one of the account registers in question, selected the gear, More reports, Register report. When it opened, it had the beginning and ending balances. I saved that one to be on the safe side, then returned to the ribbon, Reports item, selected that account, checked the report and it was fixed.
    By the way, resetting the columns did not help. It gave me a balance, but it was nearly $200,000 off.
    I have been using Quicken for 20 years, always printing my reports the same way, so I seldom ever change customization on them, and I've never run into this situation. And only affects 2 accounts, of all of the deposit accounts. I think it probably started when Quicken decided to warn us that there have been changes to categories since we last saved the report. I really don't know what to do with that. I usually just respond to keep the report the way it was when it was last saved. Truly strange!
    But the good thing is that it's fixed now, at least for now. Thanks, Jim, for your assistance.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which report are you looking at? The Transaction (Register) Report (CTRL-P from an account register) or the report from the Reports Menu / Banking / Transaction?
    I'm on R 37.62 myself and, looking at a Reports / Banking / Transaction report I don't see any differences between a fresh report from the computer vs. an old hardcopy report from a while ago.

Can you please capture one or more images of old vs. new reports, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• Mikul
    Mikul Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your quick response. I use a saved report from the Reports menu. It is the same report I have used for years with the exception of needing to edit it as the result of adding a new account to Quicken.

I hate included four screenshots. Two of those are the top and bottom of the report created on 12/24/21 and correctly shows the beginning and ending balances. The other two screenshots are of the same Transaction report created on 12/31/21 and does not show beginning or ending balances.

Other than the creation dates of the reports and entries added between the dates the reports were created, the only change to the new report resulted from my adding a new account to Quicken after 12/24. When I ran the report on 12/31, Quicken notified me that a new account had been added, so I edited and saved the report to omit the new account from the report. No other changes were made.

Interesting is that I recreated the Transaction report multiple times with the same exact options as the original. Each one produced the same result as the one created on 12/31 -- EXCEPT one of those reports finally showed beginning and ending balances. Why that occurred, I do not understand, because options in each report were identical. I saved the report that was correct and ran that report before submitting this reply, and it is still working correctly.

The only other change to Quicken occurred today when I was prompted to install a patch to upgrade to version R37.65, Build 27.1.37.65.
  • NanaB
    NanaB Member ✭✭
    I have the exact same issue. However mine began with reports from November. It's only happening on two deposit accounts. The others are correct. Credit accounts are not doing this.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Mikul's screenshots appear to be based on the "Register" report that you get when you click on the gear at the top right of the account register, then pick More reports and Register report. This is the same as the Reports > Banking > Transaction report customized to include just the current account.

Sometimes saved reports are broken by Quicken updates. Sometimes this can be fixed by clicking on the gear to customize the report then clicking the Reset Columns button.

If that doesn't fix it, I suggest you try the Register report, or the Banking > Transactions report if your saved report includes more than one account or other customizations, and see if it fixes the problem. You will need to set the date range and change the title to match the saved report before saving.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jim_Harman appears to be on target.  The other subtlety I find -- If your Banking Transactions Report (or Register Report)  includes all categories, payees, tags, etc., then the beginning and ending balances are presented.  If the report is customized to exclude any of those considerations, the beginning and ending balance are not presented. 

In essence, any customization of the report other than account selection can cause the two balance lines to be omitted.  Makes sense when you think about it.   
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aha. Maybe with a saved report, if you have added a new Category to Quicken since you saved the report, it thinks the report does not include all the categories and omits the balances. Maybe this is tied up with the issues around "All" vs "Selected" Categories.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • NanaB
    NanaB Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    OK, I've fixed it. Strange that the solution worked as it did, but I opened one of the account registers in question, selected the gear, More reports, Register report. When it opened, it had the beginning and ending balances. I saved that one to be on the safe side, then returned to the ribbon, Reports item, selected that account, checked the report and it was fixed.
    By the way, resetting the columns did not help. It gave me a balance, but it was nearly $200,000 off.
    I have been using Quicken for 20 years, always printing my reports the same way, so I seldom ever change customization on them, and I've never run into this situation. And only affects 2 accounts, of all of the deposit accounts. I think it probably started when Quicken decided to warn us that there have been changes to categories since we last saved the report. I really don't know what to do with that. I usually just respond to keep the report the way it was when it was last saved. Truly strange!
    But the good thing is that it's fixed now, at least for now. Thanks, Jim, for your assistance.
  • Mikul
    Mikul Member ✭✭
    Thanks to everyone who responded to this issue. At least it was not just something I caused — this time!