Error and application crash: message "Quicken quit unexpectedly." What's wrong?

01/01/2022 - A New Years surprise when trying to update data. Hard application crash with code dump. Option to submit to Apple at desktop.

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Are you both using the current version (6.5.1)? Which version of macOS? I am on Big Sur and just tried updating all accounts in 6.5.1 and didn't have a problem. 

Unfortunately, Quicken Support is closed today, otherwise I'd recommend calling them.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RSaw
    RSaw Member ✭✭
    -------------------------------------
    Translated Report (Full Report Below)
    -------------------------------------

Process: Quicken [1022]
    Path: /Applications/Quicken.app/Contents/MacOS/Quicken
    Identifier: com.quicken.Quicken
    Version: 6.4.5 (604.41859.100)
    Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [1]
    User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2022-01-01 08:10:11.5655 -0800
    OS Version: macOS 12.1 (21C52)
    Report Version: 12
    Anonymous UUID: 154BBE99-F70B-8797-2254-32E13E866A15

Sleep/Wake UUID: B0B21534-A147-4583-B022-1AA98A98D8C7

Time Awake Since Boot: 3900 seconds
    Time Since Wake: 1298 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
    Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000008
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000008
    Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 11 Segmentation fault: 11
    Terminating Process: exc handler [1022]
  • RickO
    How long has it been since you restarted the computer? Little glitches can add up. Sometimes a restart is all you need. Try that and maybe it won't happen again.
  • Richard@
    Richard@ Member ✭✭✭
    Same thing is happening to me! Every time I try to update accounts, Quicken shuts down - crashes.  I tried restarting my computer but the problem continued.  Fine New Years present.
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    Are you both using the current version (6.5.1)? Which version of macOS? I am on Big Sur and just tried updating all accounts in 6.5.1 and didn't have a problem. 

Unfortunately, Quicken Support is closed today, otherwise I'd recommend calling them.
  • RickO
    Also, you could try updating one account at a time and see if you can narrow the problem down to one bank. But be aware that all direct connect accounts at a single bank update when you update any one of them. And all Quicken Connect accounts at all QC banks update together whenever you update any of them.

I would definitely make sure you have a backup just in case the Quicken crash would cause your database to become corrupted (a very rare occurrence).
  • RSaw
    RSaw Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up. I was not on the most current version of Quicken. I just ran the upgrade to 6.5.1 and it solved the problem. I am running the latest Apple macOS Monterey 12.1.
  • RickO
    @RSaw What version of QMac were you on before the update? (It may help us to know to answer questions people have about older versions compatibility with Monterey.

@jacobs
  • RSaw
    RSaw Member ✭✭
    My bad, I did not check the version I was on before I ran the upgrade. I'm pretty good at staying current. The Translated Report header (added with my first comment above) shows Version: 6.4.5 (604.41859.100) passing into the error report...so my working assumption this is the version I was on (?)
  • RickO
    Yes, it would be 6.4.5.
  • Richard@
    Richard@ Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks RickO - I didn't realize I wasn't on the latest version. - solved the shutdown Problem.  Thanks.