How do I get checks to print in the correct order?

Options
This has not been an issue in the past, but I can no longer find a setting to adjust the print order to "back to front" under layout options. I upgraded to Windows 10 but have the same printer (HP OfficeJet 8600) and the same Quicken software. When installing Windows 10, I let Windows find and install the HP printer drivers.

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Odd. On my other Win10 PC, I also see the long WSD port name instead of the LAN address as in my first screen shot. But I still get the Page Order option.
    I would try creating a restore point, then removing and re-adding the printer in Windows. If that fails, I think you may be on a driver hunt.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Go to the HP support website and look for newer driver version to install. What comes off the shelf with Windows may not be up to date.
    "Back to front" may be called by a different name. For example, for my Epson WF it's a checkbox named "Reverse Order", located in Printer Properties for this printer, Main tab.
    Instead of telling Windows to reverse page order consider reshuffling the check sheets back to front so that the lowest numbered check sheet ends up on top of the paper tray and is pulled thru first.

My 2cents' worth:
    I use Voucher Checks (1 business size check + 2 stubs on an 8.5x11" sheet). For printing these checks I use a printer which has a straight-thru paper path and pulls sheets from the input tray in normal page order, lowest numbered check first (thus using all system defaults). If I needed to print checks on the Epson WF I would have to do the same as you: for every check print job remember to enable "Reverse Order" or reshuffle the check forms to load them face down into the input tray, lowest numbered sheet on top.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I have the 8600 and it continues to work as it always has.
    The Front to Back/Back to Front option is still there, see screen shot.
    I always have to manually reverse my check stock because it sits face down in the tray and gets pulled from the top. I know of no way to print on the checks the way they come from the manufacturer without doing so. Nothing in software can achieve reversal of the checks.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• rledge
    rledge Member ✭✭
    Options
    Since upgrading to Windows 10, I no longer have the Page Order option in the Layout tab. The Advanced options do not include Page Order either.

I did notice that the properties for the selected printer refer to my printer on WSD and long string of letters and numbers. The selected printer used to refer to a specific IP address.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Odd. On my other Win10 PC, I also see the long WSD port name instead of the LAN address as in my first screen shot. But I still get the Page Order option.
    I would try creating a restore point, then removing and re-adding the printer in Windows. If that fails, I think you may be on a driver hunt.

• rledge
    rledge Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks. It took several attempts, but removing the printer and then loading in the latest driver directly from the HP website solved the problem. The driver loaded by Microsoft is missing the Page Order setting. I did not try HP EasyStart, but may try later.
This discussion has been closed.