Help? Tried to buy subscription Quicken for my Mac and it wiped out my Windows subscripiton.

PattiMc
PattiMc Member ✭✭
edited January 2022 in Before you Buy
Of course I tried to do this on my day off (Jan. 1) when it nobody is working at Quicken support. Uuuuuuuugggggggh.

I'm using Q H&B on Windows machine that I would really like to dump because running two machines is tiresome. I wanted to 30 day test drive Deluxe for Mac, to see if I liked it and if it would suit my needs.

I did not realize that purchasing Deluxe subscription would cancel my H&B subscription at the same time.

Does anybody know if I can own two subscriptions at a time?
Is the only way to fix this to wait until Monday and speak to humans?
If so, what should I do or not do to prevent loss of data on my H&B until then?

Thank you!

Using Quicken since 1995 because there literally nothing else to use.🙄

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    The only way to own two different subscriptions is to use different Quicken IDs (email addresses).  That means you need to have 2 separate Quicken.com accounts set up...one for your Windows subscription and one for your Mac subscription.
    If you made the Mac Deluxe with your existing Quicken ID, then as you found out, you lost your Win H&B subscription.
    If you want your original Win H&B subscription restored you will need to contact Quicken Support and for that you will probably need to wait until Monday.
    One other option you might want to consider:  You could set up a new Quicken.com account and order a Win H&B subscription in that but then you will have that subscription for an entire year...in addition to the Mac Deluxe subscription you now have with your current Quicken.com account.
    In the meantime, to avoid losing any data in your Win H&B data file, make sure you do not try to access it with your Mac Deluxe installation as that will likely try to convert the file to a Mac file.  If you want to start working with your Mac Deluxe before you get this all straightened out, create a new data file, instead.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    The only way to own two different subscriptions is to use different Quicken IDs (email addresses).  That means you need to have 2 separate Quicken.com accounts set up...one for your Windows subscription and one for your Mac subscription.
    If you made the Mac Deluxe with your existing Quicken ID, then as you found out, you lost your Win H&B subscription.
    If you want your original Win H&B subscription restored you will need to contact Quicken Support and for that you will probably need to wait until Monday.
    One other option you might want to consider:  You could set up a new Quicken.com account and order a Win H&B subscription in that but then you will have that subscription for an entire year...in addition to the Mac Deluxe subscription you now have with your current Quicken.com account.
    In the meantime, to avoid losing any data in your Win H&B data file, make sure you do not try to access it with your Mac Deluxe installation as that will likely try to convert the file to a Mac file.  If you want to start working with your Mac Deluxe before you get this all straightened out, create a new data file, instead.

• PattiMc
    PattiMc Member ✭✭
    Thank you!
    Quick question - I still have H&B open on the Windows machine. I didn't close it after this debacle happened because I suspected what you're saying would be the case. If I close it, and leave it closed until I get this sorted out with support, do you think the data will be safe? Or does it check subscription status on shut down as well as start up?

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do realize that your Quicken Subscription entitles you to both the Windows and Mac version of Quicken?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • PattiMc
    PattiMc Member ✭✭
    I do. There isn't a Mac version of H&B and I was told by support (more than once) there never will be. That's why I wanted to test drive Deluxe.

• Boatnmaniac
    PattiMc said:
    Thank you!
    Quick question - I still have H&B open on the Windows machine. I didn't close it after this debacle happened because I suspected what you're saying would be the case. If I close it, and leave it closed until I get this sorted out with support, do you think the data will be safe? Or does it check subscription status on shut down as well as start up?
    Interesting question.  Quite frankly, I'm not knowledgeable enough on this particular circumstance to be able to give you a definitive answer. 
    But if you have recently backed up your data file (before you changed your subscription) then your backup file will be unaffected and safe.  I have my Preference set to backup my data file every time I close Quicken (which is at least 1X/day) and it is set up to save the last 35 backups.  I learned some very hard lessons in the past when I was less than diligent about doing backups so no more of that for me.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    PattiMc said:
    I do. There isn't a Mac version of H&B and I was told by support (more than once) there never will be. That's why I wanted to test drive Deluxe.
    You can just download Quicken Mac and sign-in using your Quicken ID/Password. It will default to Quicken Premier.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    So... you need to contact Quicken Support and have them cancel & refund your new subscription purchase to restore your previous subscription. Your previous subscription allowed you to download Quicken Mac with no additional purchase. 

With Quicken Mac, there is no difference in the software between a Deluxe and Premier subscription. (Premier includes bill pay while it's an add-on expense with Deluxe.) There is no Home & Business version. (Despite what the support person told you, Quicken has never stated whether there will or will not been one in the future.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.