Transacations that are NOT Transfers

I have transacations coming in (I think only from USAA) that are shown in the Quicken " "Num" column as TXFR. When I go to Categorize the transaction I can only select other accounts in Quicken since Quicken thinks the transaction is a Transfer... makes sense but is terribly wrong. How do I stop Quicken from Auto-deeming a transaction a transfer?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds odd. I don't think Quicken normally populates that column, even if it creates a transfer when it sees a match in another account.

When they download, do the transactions show up as New, or are they matched to something that is already in the register?

Is it a particular type of transaction like ATM, bill paid online, or something?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    This is a known USAA problem.  It has been happening since last year when they changed their security model.  From the OFX log:
                        <STMTTRN>
                            <TRNTYPE>XFER
                            <DTPOSTED>20211222120000.000[-5:EST]
                            <TRNAMT>-127.68
                            <FITID>202112220000001
                            <NAME> WATER   PAYMENT    ****
                            <MEMO>   PAYMENT    ***********0000
                        </STMTTRN>

Now a proper one from Chase:
                        <STMTTRN>
                            <TRNTYPE>DEBIT
                            <DTPOSTED>20211231120000[0:GMT]
                            <TRNAMT>-7.66
                            <FITID>2021123124186161364400223001320
                            <NAME>BURGER KING
                        </STMTTRN>

EDIT:  Just to make this is clear.  Since USAA is telling Quicken that this is a transfer, Quicken fills in the Num field with XFER which locks the category to transfer accounts.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the background, @Chris_QPW

So it sounds like until USAA chooses to fix this, you will have to delete the "XFER" before Quicken will let you pick the correct Category.

Does the XFER get populated even if a matching transaction is already in the register, as from a Reminder, or if there is a Memorized Payee that matches the downloaded Payee? 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Does the XFER get populated even if a matching transaction is already in the register, as from a Reminder, or if there is a Memorized Payee that matches the downloaded Payee? 
    No, it doesn't and that is the only saving grace.  In my USAA account the main thing that was going there was my wife's paycheck, and of course I had a paycheck reminder going in first, and when that is matched it overrides the XFER information that USAA sends.

I'm stating that all in the past since I'm closing my USAA accounts.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Gr8gory
    Gr8gory Member ✭✭
    Yep, that timing is about right - it started happening with the new USAA imports. The easy fix for now that I forgot about… just do a category “split” when entering the transaction and you can select appropriate category (even just a single entry).