Win to Mac Conversion issues

KPandapas
KPandapas Member
After 30 years on Win, I got sick of running a Win environment on my Mac just for Quicken, so finally took the plunge. [Removed-Profanity] but to be fair, after a bunch of mis-starts related to dropbox and other hiccups I should have anticipated, it worked relatively well. All of the balances were correct, and though I had to tweak a few things, generally I am in business, though see already that there will be significant lost functionality. I have yet to go through the reports so don't know know what I don't know. More on that another time.

The two issues I thought I'd mention are linked cash accounts and portfolio views. On the linked cash accounts, Q Mac doesn't support this functionality as Q Win does, and I missed that. I clearly made a mistake by not remerging my linked cash accounts to their associated brokerage accounts before I converted. But I don't want to start over, so does anyone know how I can merge the accounts? The quick fix is to simply add a cash balance to the brokerage account and close and hide the associated cash account (for future reference if necessary). Not a perfect solution, but acceptable. One wrinkle there is that not all of my brokerage accounts are allowing cash adjustments (greyed-out adjust account balance' - appreciate any thoughts on that). The more complete solution would be to remerge the accounts. Anyone have any suggestions?

On the portfolio view, I'm getting weird spikes on the graph that suggest downloaded prices that are not in the data. What [Removed-Language] is that?

There will be more. Thanks for your thoughts. KP

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Regarding merging accounts: If I'm understanding correctly, you want the transactions that are presently in a separate cash account merged into the associated brokerage account? This is fairly simple: select all the transactions in the cash account and drag and drop them into the brokerage account in the sidebar. They will become transactions of type Payment/Deposit in the brokerage account. This will, of course, affect the cash balance in the brokerage account, so be careful and make a backup before you start.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • KPandapas
    KPandapas Member
    Thanks, but that didn't achieve the desired outcome. Overall ending balance should equal brokerage plus brokerage-cash, and it wasn't close.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Sorry, it's really hard to know what's going on without digging into your data. I personally don't have a cash management account nor have I ever gone thru the conversion from QWin to QMac.

One thought though: At some brokerages, the cash in the account is actually reflected as a holding in a cash fund (e.g. Fidelity Cash Reserves) as opposed to just being shown as cash in the account. This could be affecting your balances, especially if there are any placeholder transactions being created during the sync in Quicken's attempt to make the account balances match the download.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • KPandapas
    KPandapas Member
    I just unlinked the cash account in QWin and converted it again. Pain, but the best solution. Thanks for the thoughts.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You can see & edit the prices for securities by opening the Securities window from the Window menu, double-clicking on the security & selecting the Price History tab.

But before you start deleting prices that appear to be incorrect, I would double-check your accounts for any transactions involving that security on that day. One of the sources for security prices is the actual buy/sell transactions in your Quicken file, so you should make sure that there isn't an incorrectly priced transaction first.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• inquring
    inquring Member ✭✭
    I just want to say my own experiences migrating 25 years of work under Quicken For Windows to Quicken for Mac this week has been exactly what @KPandapas reported. I too had Brokerage accounts under Quicken for Windows where I had enabled the option “Show Cash In A Checking Account” which one learns after migrating is not an option not offered in Quicken for Mac. So I too learned the hard way that migrating Quicken with that option enabled isolated those checking accounts into a mode where they could no longer participate in account/syncing/downloading going forward on the Mac. So I too had to go back to Windows and disable that option and then migrate my data all over again to the Mac.

Also, I too confirm that many of my security prices that we're all just fine in Quicken for Windows didn't get migrated correctly in Quicken for Mac and this has fouled up a lot of historical graphs and net worth over time reports that are all pretty useless now. It's a huge mess.

I found Quicken botched the migration of many of these securities by taking what had been a single closing price for each day under Quicken for Windows and migrated these amounts to Quicken for Mac by truncating the amount of the closing price and spreading/putting some of those closing price digits into the high and low day values in Quicken for Mac. It's all complete nonsense and that's what the reports/graphs all show now.

The Quicken folks need to put some attention on that. It's a huge miss to not migrate historical security prices correctly and even more so to not even catch/know about it. What a mess.

The only fix is to delete all those fouled security prices now in Quicken for Mac and try to import the correct values manually and this is going to be a major final hurdle and most difficult and time consuming to do in Quicken for Mac.

This is because Quicken for Mac inexplicably doesn't allow one to import a CSV file with the security name/symbol in a new pricing file which I was capable of providing. In Quicken for Windows they allow for security name/symbol in CSV file price importing. So now instead of having one file to fix all my securities that had their historical prices incorrectly migrated by Quicken I now have to spend days/weeks creating hundreds of files (one for each security) and then manually going into hundreds of securities in Quicken for Mac clicking edits and options and giving file names one one by one and importing all these files individually.

Had Quicken for Mac allowed the same method for importing security prices as Quicken for Windows I could be done with fixing the historical data that Quicken failed to properly migrate and now have days/weeks of painfully dealing with hundreds of securities one by one.

I would have loved to have been in the room when someone decided to no longer allow the security name to be included in a CSV file for the Mac version of Quicken. I hope they understand how difficult they've made things for some of us.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @inquring I appreciate your comments and agree with the pain points. On the issue of security prices not importing correctly, I definitely suggest you file a bug report (on the Help Menu: Report a Problem). Include a screenshot of a range of dates in Quicken Windows and the same dates as imported into Quicken Mac. If the developers agree it's a bug and fix it, it won't help you now, but it would help other users in the future. Note that you don't get a reply to bugs reported this way. Alternatively, you could call Quicken Support and try to work with the representative to demonstrate the error in how the prices import; if they agree with your assessment, they should be able to file a bug report to the development team.

As for the security price import, I agree that adding the security symbol to the CSV file so multiple securities could be imported at once would be a huge improvement for anyone in your position. I'd only note that the developers didn't decide to "no longer allow the security name"; it's just that they never built that functionality yet for Quicken Mac as they've been building out its features over the past decade. The idea has been suggested before (here and here — and you should add your vote in those posts), but because it hasn't attracted much support in user votes on this site, it likely remains pretty low on the developers priority list. 

Finally, I'm sorry to note that your comments here are unlikely to be seen by the developers or management. I do encourage you to copy and paste your comments into one of the Idea threads I just linked, because those threads will hopefully be read by the developers at some point as they are evaluating which features to work on for future enhancements. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • inquring
    inquring Member ✭✭
    @jacobs ... I appreciate your comments and those links to others with the same CSV import limitation noted. I've added my vote to improve the CSV import capabilities to include security names like it's been in QWIN. I definitely recognize that developers/management aren't likely here to read about any of my issues and while I would love to help bring my migration issues to the attention of them it's just a very intense and painstaking period right now to try to get all my account balances compared/corrected after my migration from QWIN to QMAC. It would only add to my burden to try to document all the securities (maybe 5% of them) I found that had their closing prices incorrectly migrated and thus fouling up net worth reports over time and get that in a form understanding by developers. Truth be told, if had this single file CSV import feature available I'd never had even made a comment here. It would have all been solved in practically no time with my ability to just get that corrupted data restored by exporting a security list QIF from QWIN which I could easily massage in Excel to produce a CSV that I could have imported again in QMAC for all securities. The good news is I think I'm going to stick with QMAC as I'm really liking most everything I've touched. Having attempted to migrate to QMAC over the last 10 years this is the first time I think I'll be able to say goodbye to QWIN. There's a lot to like and appreciate here now with Quicken for Mac and even with all this manual reconciliation it's giving me a deeper understanding of the product and ways to analyze my financial data by necessity. Cheers.
  • KPandapas
    KPandapas Member
    New conversion issue - I maintain multiple quicken files. Now trying to convert one I use to manage a condo association. In that file, there are just three accounts: a checking, a savings and a property account I use for AR. The checking and savings are converting, but the property account is not. It simply is not showing up. Why on earth would that be? Anyone have thoughts about this?
This discussion has been closed.