2021 Budget just started including 2022

MaryMary
MaryMary Member
My 2021 budget that I worked hours and hours on all of a sudden is now showing dates through December 2022. I just wanted to start a new budget for 2022 and leave the 2021 alone. What do I need to do to have separate budgets for each year?

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    From the Planning tab, select Create new budget from Budget Actions on the right.

Name it however you want and then select how you want to Quicken to choose your categories.

This is an example of my Budgets.

You need to select from this drop down to navigate the budget you want to use.

• MaryMary
    MaryMary Member
    This is what my screen looks like - I just want dates from 1/1/2021 - 12/31/2021 in my Budget 2021 but it is through 12/31/2022. How do I change this?
  • MaryMary
    MaryMary Member
    Sorry I forgot to add the screenshot before I posted - here it is:
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you running Quicken on a Mac? That does not look like a Windows budget.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • MaryMary
    MaryMary Member
    Yes Jim I am running on a Mac.
  • Jim_Harman
    @GeoffG, is there some reason you create a new named budget for each year?

Each named budget can run for multiple years. If you create the next year's budget before the end of the previous year, you can carry over the categories, amounts, and settings from the previous year or adjust them based on the previous year's actuals. Each year is independent of the others, so you can make whatever changes you want without affecting the previous year. If you wait till after the new year, you get a Happy new year message and I think the only option is to carry over last year's settings, but that is usually a good starting point for the next year.

To switch years, select the Annual view then you can select which budget year to use.
  • MaryMary
    MaryMary Member
    I guess I am just in over my head. I worked very hard at including the correct categories and making sure my expenses were posted to the correct categories etc. for the year 2021. I assumed (incorrectly I guess) that when 2022 began there would be a new budget screen to collect my new information for the current year and it would compare those numbers to the numbers from last year to show if I am on track with what happened last year.
  • Jim_Harman
    @MaryMary you are posting in the Windows area of the forum. I will ask a Moderator to move your post to the Mac area.
  • MaryMary
    MaryMary Member
    Jim - this is where I posted my question:
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaryMary:

i am not the one to help with budgets, but since you are still looking for help, I suggest you start with the built-in Quicken for Mac help.  Go to the menu bar in Quicken and select Help > Quicken Help

Then look for the topic Budgets in the left sidebar. There is sub-topic under Budgets labeled Create more than one budget. That topic boils down to saying: Go to the menu bar in Quicken and select Budgets > New budget...

Hope this helps.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @GeoffG, is there some reason you create a new named budget for each year?

Yes, I experienced an issue with budget creation many, many years ago and have been doing this way ever since. I've lost track of the specific reason for going this path, but may test in a sample file.