Quicken for Mac : Home and Business

Options
kiran
kiran Member
edited February 2022 in Before you Buy
Could I purchase the Quicken Home and Business and use it to activate the Quicken Premier for Mac and activate Quicken Home and Business on Windows?

Are the underlying data files compatible?

My main usage is on the Mac, but have a need to use some of the features of Home and Business occassionally, hence the question

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, you can run QWin H&B on a Windows machine and also run QMac Premier on a Mac under the same subscription.

HOWEVER, the data files are NOT compatible. You can convert a QWin data file to Mac (with some effort), but not vice versa. Also, if you do convert QWin H&B to Mac, you will lose the H&B features. The conversion process is not something you'd want to be doing on a regular basis.

If you need to use H&B on the same data set, but want to run on a Mac, your best bet is to run QWin in a virtual environment (such as Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion) on the Mac. Or if possible, separate your usage so that you can run in two separate independent files on each machine.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • kiran
    kiran Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks for confirming the subscription details.

The answer on the data files seems confusing/contradictory between the 2 paragraphs. Would appreciate if you could help me by clarifying.

If I start off on an Intel Mac with QMac Premier and create a new Quicken data file, thereafter use QWin H&B on the same Mac under Windows accessing the same underlying data file would it work and I be able to use the H&B features with the data under windows and not worry about data conversions every time I flip between macOS and Windows?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @kiran No, you can't use the same data file for Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows. They're completely different. What Rick explained is that it's possible to import data from a Quicken Windows data file into Quicken Mac, but not the other way around. But in no case will you be sharing the same data file. 

If you want the Home & Business features, you need to use Quicken Windows. Period. You can do that on a Windows computer, or run Windows in virtual machine software on a Mac, but there's no way to move between using Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac except the one-way conversion process.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, you can run QWin H&B on a Windows machine and also run QMac Premier on a Mac under the same subscription.

HOWEVER, the data files are NOT compatible. You can convert a QWin data file to Mac (with some effort), but not vice versa. Also, if you do convert QWin H&B to Mac, you will lose the H&B features. The conversion process is not something you'd want to be doing on a regular basis.

If you need to use H&B on the same data set, but want to run on a Mac, your best bet is to run QWin in a virtual environment (such as Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion) on the Mac. Or if possible, separate your usage so that you can run in two separate independent files on each machine.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • kiran
    kiran Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks for confirming the subscription details.

The answer on the data files seems confusing/contradictory between the 2 paragraphs. Would appreciate if you could help me by clarifying.

If I start off on an Intel Mac with QMac Premier and create a new Quicken data file, thereafter use QWin H&B on the same Mac under Windows accessing the same underlying data file would it work and I be able to use the H&B features with the data under windows and not worry about data conversions every time I flip between macOS and Windows?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @kiran No, you can't use the same data file for Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows. They're completely different. What Rick explained is that it's possible to import data from a Quicken Windows data file into Quicken Mac, but not the other way around. But in no case will you be sharing the same data file. 

If you want the Home & Business features, you need to use Quicken Windows. Period. You can do that on a Windows computer, or run Windows in virtual machine software on a Mac, but there's no way to move between using Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac except the one-way conversion process.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • kiran
    kiran Member
    Options
    Thanks RickO and Jacobs. Addresses my questions.
This discussion has been closed.