I created a new budget for 2022 but columns are not calculating correctly (Q Mac)

jorda
jorda Member
I created a budget for 2022 using 2021 as a start and adjusted where appropriate, I noticed that the columns and rows are not calculating totals correctly.
Tagged:

Answers

• JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    Can you provide a screen capture and point out an example of the total you are seeing and what total you expect to see?
    -Jay
  • cegledi
    cegledi Member ✭✭
    I have the exact same issue. It seems as if the summary category above the sub-categories are now editable and I shouldn’t have to manually add them up. I’d do a screenshot but I’m away from my computer right now.
  • kayakjb
    kayakjb Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same problem. How do I upload a screenshot?
  • kayakjb
    kayakjb Member ✭✭
    Where is the 9126 amount coming from? I can't edit it either when in Edit mode and it's throwing budget way off, of course.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    kayakjb said:
    Where is the 9126 amount coming from? I can't edit it either when in Edit mode and it's throwing budget way off, of course.
    You're looking at the Personal Income summary line. Amounts in this line are the sum total of all income categories and subcategories listed below. IOW, $9126 is your monthly Personal Income, 1/12th of the total of $109517, rounded to whole dollars.
    If this number is incorrect, review the individual categories' numbers, make changes as needed and the total will adjust accordingly.

• kayakjb
    kayakjb Member ✭✭
    Thanks. I appreciate the explanation but I still don't get something. I understand that the Personal Income summary line is the sum of all that's below it but that's what doesn't seem to add up correctly. Shouldn't it be the sum of $44617 + $10847= $55464? instead of $109517?

Sorry to be a pain but still not seeing the math.

Thanks for your patience.
  • JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    Typically that would mean that there are one or more other sub-categories of Personal Income that have not been included in your budget but which have income listed assigned to them. Check what categories you have under Personal Income.
    -Jay
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there additional categories, not shown in the picture you provided?

If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

• jorda
    jorda Member
    I have spent a significant amount of time with Quicken Support, although vey professional there is a software bug in the edit worksheet. Subsequently we deleted the budget and began a new budget. Thanks for suggestions, a recalc function might be useful.
  • kayakjb
    kayakjb Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone. I'll do some more checking before I contact Support if needed. I also think a recall function would be useful and since I just started playing with Budgets a few days ago, I actually was searching for one!
  • kayakjb
    kayakjb Member ✭✭
    In case this might help others, I contacted Support a little while ago and learned something new.

If the Summary line math doesn't seem correct, go to Edit the budget, click on a summary value amount and type zero in the field then Enter. It re-calculates the Summary line. Next, click Save to update the budget view.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    kayakjb said:
    If the Summary line math doesn't seem correct, go to Edit the budget, click on a summary value amount and type zero in the field then Enter. It re-calculates the Summary line. Next, click Save to update the budget view.
    Thanks for sharing that "trick." The reason for this might seem to be a bug, but it isn't. The budget allows you to enter values for a main category and its sub-categories. In many cases, people don't want to enter all the sub-categories, but maybe just one or a few — so it helps to be able to manually enter a value for the main category which is not the sum of the sub-categories. (For instance, you might enter a budget for Auto:Gas as $100 per month, and the main Auto Category as $200 per month, for other auto expenses you don't have individual budgeted.) But if you want the main category to actually be the sum of the sub-categories shown, then this trick (entering $0 for the main category value) is the way to tell Quicken to do so. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    kayakjb said:
    Thanks for sharing that "trick." The reason for this might seem to be a bug, but it isn't. The budget allows you to enter values for a main category and its sub-categories. In many cases, people don't want to enter all the sub-categories, but maybe just one or a few — so it helps to be able to manually enter a value for the main category which is not the sum of the sub-categories. (For instance, you might enter a budget for Auto:Gas as $100 per month, and the main Auto Category as $200 per month, for other auto expenses you don't have individual budgeted.) But if you want the main category to actually be the sum of the sub-categories shown, then this trick (entering $0 for the main category value) is the way to tell Quicken to do so. 
    Is the above documented somewhere?
    If not, can it be documented?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @UKR It should be in Quicken Help, but it is not as best I can tell. It should be on this page:

https://help.quicken.com/display/MAC/Editing+your+budget

and/or this page:

https://help.quicken.com/display/MAC/Adding+or+removing+categories+or+accounts+from+your+budget

Can a moderator pass this discussion to the team which updates the Help pages for inclusion?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    @jacobs I went ahead and submitted a modification request for these Help Articles.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.