Problem downloading ALL transactions with error "Only the latest version of file can sync..."

Quicken refuses to download ALL transactions (not specific to a bank) saying "Only the latest version of the file can sync with Quicken cloud".

I don't even use Quicken Mobile or Web and have SYNC turned off in preferences. I just download transactions. I even checked "Connected Services" and deleted some old Cloud accounts, so have just the current one.

It gives me the option to "Reset the cloud" or "Take file offline". I have done the former (several times now) which restores connectivity for a day (though that does download many old, duplicate transactions and magically deletes some manual entries, so it is very painful to fix up). But next day, the same error comes back.

I also tried "Take file offline" which means I had to reconnect all accounts manually (a lot more work and also had the duplicate / missing transactions issue). This also was not a permanent solution as the error came back next day.

I even tried "exporting" all data from one file, create a new file, import all data back (a lot more work!!). This again works for a day, then the same error returns.

I'm using the latest Quicken Mac 6.4.5. I have called Quicken Support, and they have suggested all the above remedies but have run out of ideas now. They suggest I start from a new file (no imported data) and create all accounts manually. Wow, that is a really ugly solution. Anyone else have a clue?

PS: One odd issue I note is after I reset things above and they seem to work for a day, then the following day, Quicken stops showing "blue dots" against account names for new downloads. And, if I add a new transaction in a register, the screen does not update to show that immediately. I have to switch out of that register and switch back in to see the new entry. This is usually a sign that Quicken will stop downloading new transactions soon! Very, very odd...

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Do you use this data file on more than one machine and/or do you have the file stored locally in a folder that is being synced to the cloud (eg. Dropbox, iCloud Drive)?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Thanks for responding, Rick! No, I do not use this file on more than one machine, just the one iMac. And I do use Google Drive to backup my files to their cloud but I'm pretty sure that does not mess with the file on my local drive. Some may use "caching" or "streaming" where main file is on the cloud and an offline copy on the local computer for speed. But I use "mirroring" which keeps all files on the local computer.
  • RickO
    I would suggest moving the file completely out of Google Drive. Cloud syncing of the file in any form is not supported by Quicken. See if this resolves the problem. You may direct the auto backup function to a Google Drive synced location to ensure that you have a non-local copy of your data. This would not cause any issues with your actual data file.
  • DonSui46
    DonSui46 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    I now have this issue with the latest release of Quicken MAC, my Schwab transations are not syncing with the Schwab Online account. This is a new issue, like the one above by Mr Rajee noted above. It appears the latest release download today January 3, 2022 has serious issues with transactions. I will wait for the correct solution until renewal time. Then I will see if I continue to support this product with my renewal. Don Suiter
  • Hi Don, I don’t use Schwab so your issue may be unique though I’ve got some communication from Quicken that they’ve been working on resolving issues with Schwab.

Separately, my own download issues appear to be resolved by following Rick’s suggestion to remove the Quicken to a folder not synced with Google Drive. This has removed the version errors though I’m a bit uncomfortable that my main file is not getting synced to the cloud anymore (the backup folder is but that could be a few days behind depending on backup frequency).
  • RickO
     I’m a bit uncomfortable that my main file is not getting synced to the cloud anymore (the backup folder is but that could be a few days behind depending on backup frequency).
    Have you considered setting automatic backups in Quicken > Preferences > General? Point it at your cloud-synced location and limit the number of backups to keep to a number you're comfortable with. Then make sure you quit Quicken each time you're done working with it (which you should do anyway) and you'll always have a current backup.
  • DonSui46
    DonSui46 Member ✭✭
    Well, I made sure my Qucken Data file is all local on my Mac. iMac 21 running lates version of OS Monterey 12.1, data file is in a folder on my document folder. MacSubscrition Version Version 6.5.1 (Build 605.42638.100) Same issues persist, get prompted with this prompt. I cancel out of it, as it is an error.

Transaction history does not update, value on portfolio is not accurate for cash held. Last update to transactions is noted in the screen shots and the last transactions is noted in the screen shots.

So what is next, is support looking into this issue?

Thank you, Don Suiter
  • RickO
    Don, there have been lots of problems with Schwab. Not being a Schwab account holder, I'm sorry I can't help with that aspect.

Regarding the error message in your first screenshot: are you sure you haven't opened this file or a copy of it on another computer? Also, are you sure you don't have your Documents folder being synced to iCloud Drive (System Preferences > iCloud)?
  • DonSui46
    DonSui46 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    @RickO said:
    Don, there have been lots of problems with Schwab. Not being a Schwab account holder, I'm sorry I can't help with that aspect.
    Regarding the error message in your first screenshot: are you sure you haven't opened this file or a copy of it on another computer? Also, are you sure you don't have your Documents folder being synced to iCloud Drive (System Preferences > iCloud)?
    Yes, the documents folder is synced to iCloud, I can turn that off then I lose a lot of versatility across the MAC, iPad and iPhone platforms, I did use dropbox for many years with my data file on the box from year to year, it was in November when all the issues with Schwab stated. So far I have not seen a reponse on the threat from a Quicken Support person. I will wait it out and do manual checks.

I do appreciate your comment, but not sure what it means to this problem. Are you a MAC user? I do not use Quicken Cloud all files are local to my MAC main harddrive.

Thank you, Don
  • RickO
    Yes, I'm a Mac user. You don't need to be syncing to Quicken Cloud for the Reset message to pop up. (That is, you can have Sync turned off in Preferences > Mobile, Web and Alerts. All files have an associated Quicken Cloud account.

Even though your file may reside on your hard drive, if the folder in which the file lives is set to sync with iCloud Drive or Dropbox, this can cause problems. Such configuration is not supported. If Quicken thinks the file was accessed more recently than the local copy you are opening, that will trigger the Reset message. 

Bear in mind that iCloud Drive and Quicken Cloud are two separate unrelated things.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2022
    If you want to continue to have your Desktop and Documents stored on iCloud, just create different place to store your Quicken file. An easy-to-access location would be inside the home folder of your User account. That is, create a Quicken folder at the same level as your Movies, Music, Pictures, Documents, Downloads, etc., and put your Quicken data file there. You can specify in Quicken Preferences that your Backup Folder is in a folder inside your Documents folder, so it will be stored on iCloud. (Backups on iCloud are not problem, only the live data file on iCloud is a problem.) 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • DonSui46
    DonSui46 Member ✭✭
    Thank you both, I will move my Quicken Data file from my documents folder and keep my backups in the folder in Documents to ensure the get backed up to the Apple icloud. I will see if this helps the issue with Schwab accounts not updated properly when I sign on and the download occurs. I will let you know if I have any progress. Don
  • DonSui46
    DonSui46 Member ✭✭
    > @DonSui46 said:
    > Thank you both, I will move my Quicken Data file from my documents folder and keep my backups in the folder in Documents to ensure the get backed up to the Apple icloud. I will see if this helps the issue with Schwab accounts not updated properly when I sign on and the download occurs. I will let you know if I have any progress. Don

OK, fixed by turning off the mobil option web access, moving the data file to a new Quicken folder under my /user area on the MAC.

I would suggest that Quicken programmers give this area a strong look and re-design as having to back up my files manually is a no go. I will see if my Time Machine is capturing the file location change after I get the lasted hourly backup done.

Again, Thanks.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You don’t need to back up manually. Make sure Quicken’s Preferences are set to back up every time you quit, and increase the default number of backups retained to 25 or 30 or more. The key is that your backup folder location can safely be a folder stored in iCloud or Dropbox, because backup files are compressed and safe to be on cloud storage. And Time Machine is your best additional line of defense.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.